Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Wife's Afternoon Adventure

My Wife's Afternoon Adventure

The dogs and I headed up the Overlook trail in Mill Creek canyon around 12: pm today. I was moving pretty slow because I was wearing my pack with a bit of weight in it. About 1/2 mile up the trail I started noticing a lot of blood in the snow. I called the dogs back and found that Iluq had cut his paw pretty good and was bleeding more than I'm comfortable with. So, we headed back down the trail. Near the bottom I stopped Iluq and put pressure on his pad to stop the bleeding. It stopped so I thought, I'm already here...I think I'll head back up the trail.
    About 3/4 of the way up there were fresh droppings on the trail. A bit further on more droppings, large/deep prints, and long dark hair. Yes, I know...fate had now suggested I turn back twice...but curiosity is a bitch. Well, low and behold I come around the corner to find my dogs circling a very large bull moose. (Bull moose weigh about 1,200 lbs for those of you who don't know.) I, wearing about 20 lbs +on my back and in knee-deep snow, took off running with a now pissed off moose close behind me...yes, he charged me. While I was running I was unbuckling my pack, arrived at a pine tree, threw my pack and climbed (like I didn't know I could). I thought I was high enough but when I found myself face to face with an angry moose, realized I was not and headed further up. To paint a picture for you small branches were breaking beneath me as I climbed and at one point I found myself hanging by my arms and climbing hand over hand.
    So, the moose circled the tree for a bit until the dogs backed him off. While I was in the tree (freezing/arms shaking from fatigue and adrenaline) the dogs were circling the moose, biting its hind legs etc. It was like National Geographic, when you see wolves trying to tire an animal out before taking it down.
    During this time I was trying to think of every possible way to get out of this tree and the three of us to safety. I got Nuka to come to me and managed to get his leash on him but realized if the moose charged I had just made it a lot harder for Nuka to defend himself so I let him go. I couldn
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Holy crap. That is a great story. Glad to hear you survived the encounter.

WOW... great story man, glad your ok!

That'll be one for the generations! Glad you made it back in one piece (hope your dogs are okay too).

Dang! What a story. Thanks for sharing it with us. That's great you made it back alright. Even better that the new pack survived. I wonder why they didn't relocate the moose long before this happened?
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

That was a very interesting read to say the least

But

Just kidding, but pics of a pissed off Moose would have been the topper

Helluva story!! Glad your ok and man that must have been a RUSH.

Wow, amazing story! Now, was this your wife writing this? (Going by the thread title...) Whomever... Yikes!

WOW it sounds like you had one hell of an adventure. Glad your doing good things could of been bad.

So, where are the pictures?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    So, where are the pictures?
    yeah whats her problem, do you want to buy a camera?

Man, that is so darn cool! I'm jealous!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    Man, that is so darn cool! I'm jealous!
    Hell no your not! Fouristhenewone and I got chase by a Moose while riding Mtn Bikes at Sundance. I was pedaling as fast I could thinking... man I am glad i wore my full face helmet today . The Moose followed for about 200 feet the turned away about 15 feet out, We ran into him again later that day.

Not nearly as scary as what happen to his wife but it still was pretty intense.

Any wildlife story where you aren't really hurt afterwards is fun. I have seen lots of moose in Alaska, but I have only seen a moose twice in Utah.

wow ... wiiild story, mang

[do you mind if i move this to the hiking section later?]

But moose are so cute. They don't hurt you.... there just like the bears in Yellowstone.

Moose are some of the meanest critters out there. I have seen many near the town of Moose in Wyoming off to the side of the road between Moose and Teton Village. Luckily none have charged yet but your story along with several others reminds me of my very healthy respect for those animals.

Great story.
    Life is Good

just to restate, this was my wife's story and afternoon. I was trapped at home sick on the couch. damn head cold.

stefan, your welcome to eventually move this to hiking.

it makes for a good story, and glad the wife and dogs made it home okay. I have two malamutes, one which is a wolf hybrid, so they tend to be bastards when it comes to wildlife on the trail. we try to be extra careful usually, this time it didn't turn out that way. My younger dog did get tromped but seems to be fine.
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

Now THATS an adventure! I'm glad your wife made it out alive, I'm sure its a hike she will never forget.

Disco, it amazes me that you have not run into more moose on the trails. I would guess that i have seen about a dozen this winter alone. They are all over millcreek and the cottonwoods.

HOLY SHIZZOLA!!!!!!!!! I'm glad everyone is ok!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gardner
    DiscGo, it amazes me that you have not run into more moose on the trails. I would guess that i have seen about a dozen this winter alone. They are all over millcreek and the cottonwoods.
    Really? I have been snowshoeing all over the cottonwood canyons this winter. I saw one up South Fork Canyon last summer, and I got really excited because I never see them here.

We were actually really close, but we didn't get any good pictures.