Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon_Cal View Post
    Bringing an old thread back to life here. I was just wondering if the road would be any easier on a dirt bike? I.E., good off-road motorcycle.
    Just did this trip last weekend, so I can now answer my own question - Yes! the 15 miles on Poison Springs road and the 12020 mining road would likely be 3x faster than in my full-size 4WD truck, but it would be harder to haul gear. A side-by-side ATV might be best. Here's a few of my observations:

1. Happy Canyon is well worth the effort to get there, but it takes quite an effort to do it in a day. We left Hanksville at 6am and returned by 6pm. We were at the mouth of Happy Canyon at 11:45.

2. The road has been cleared of most boulders; there was only one I got out to move, and one more that was too heavy to move, so I drove over it. I made it all the way to the boulder slide with my full-size, stock-height 4WD pickup, but it would have been better to stop a little short at the mesa camp site - that last quarter mile was a bit hair-raising!

3. Mountain bikes are useful to save time getting from the boulder slide to the downhike to Dirty Devil, but its just as much work as hiking. We ditched the bikes about 2/3 of the way there - just too many land-slides and wash-outs to carry the bikes over. So if you have an expensive, light-weight, full suspension bike and are good at technical riding, give it a try. Otherwise, leave the bike home.
    Name:  20171209_115459.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  59.6 KB

4. There is a wicked, ice-covered pond across the Poison Springs road at the 8.3 mile point. After driving through many icy puddles up to that point, this looks like just another - but it will swallow your vehicle and hold it captive! We took three vehicles: my 4WD Duramax pickup with oversize tires, a totally stock 4-door Tahoe, and a RAV4 suv - we all got stuck in the pond, up to the axles! Good thing I took a tow strap! I pulled out the RAV4, the Tahoe pulled me out, and the Tahoe manged to somehow get himself out. Its covered with ice about 3.5 inches thick - you ride on it until you break through, then you are stuck real good.

5. Best place to wade the Dirty Devil is just downstream from the mouth of Happy, where the water is more swift and shallow. In places that the water moves slow, its deeper and has quick sand. Good to have treking poles for stability and to probe ahead for hidden holes or quick sand. Water is color of chocolate milk, you can't see through it.

6. Its worth it to hike to the top of the canyon - some nice up-climbs to practice your stemming there.

2. Likes rockgremlin, Scott P liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here's a few more pics. A smaller HC 4WD then my Duramax Diesel would have an easier time getting through, but I managed to get it to the end of the road. In one place I had to back up, then pull forward. Past the rock slide, you could bike, but you have to carry the bike over about 50 wash-outs in the trail. Would be nice if someone would spend a week up there repairing the single track with some six-inch pvc pipe covered with rock and gravel!
    Name:  20171208_141952.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  70.3 KB
    I pulled this RAV4 out backwards with a tow strap

Name:  20171209_072933.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  92.3 KB
    Past this point, an AWD mini-SUV is not enough, you need high-clearance

Name:  20171209_102703.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  124.0 KB
    As you can see, not much left of the 12020 mining road in many places

Name:  20171209_111924.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  101.5 KB
    Crossing the Dirty Devil

Name:  20171209_130715.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  65.8 KB
    A little stemming practice at top of canyon.

Nicely done!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

6. Likes Canyon_Cal liked this post
    It certainly is a stunning part of the world. I had the opportunity to fly over Happy Canyon and Dirty Devil in April 2017, including a "touch-and-go" at both Happy Canyon and Dirty Devil airstrips. Not the sort of places where you want to be if anything goes wrong, either on foot or 4WD or plane!

Picture including track of what I flew over. It's not exactly the same part as referred to in this thread, but close enough:

Name:  HC and DD Airstrips.jpg
Views: 1315
Size:  83.6 KB

Happy Canyon, short video:

Dirty Devil, short video:

There are tens (maybe hundreds) of old bush airstrips in this region, from the old uranium-prospecting days. Many are now not usable, like the one referenced at the top of the first picture on page one by @rockgremlin (marked as "landing strip" upon Sams Mesa)

Happy Canyon airstrip is off the RHS of the same map picture.

When we had a Bogleyfest in November 2014, I think, driving to Poisoned Springs, parts of many of the roads (the straight bits) were used as runways to get the technical bods in with their Geiger counters. Strange lines in the sand in that area (particular straight lines or grids stand out, very evident on GE) are seismic exploration lines to see the underlying strata.

I should have been a geologist, I'd be richer.

8. Likes Canyon_Cal, rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Nicely done!!
    Thanks - couldn't have done it without your helpful information in the thread!

10. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Rob L, Wow, that's my dream to fly a bush plane into sites like this! Guess I better finish my pilot's license. Looks like a Super Cub?

Rob L, Wow, that's my dream to fly a bush plane into sites like this! Guess I better finish my pilot's license. Looks like a Super Cub?
    65hp Taylorcraft

13. Likes Canyon_Cal liked this post
    I see that a Subaru Forester got in to this campsite at some point. https://backcountrypost.com/threads/...-canyons.5722/

I lifted my Outback Sport three inches and it now has more clearance than a Forester (it now has around 9.5 inches at the lowest point) and added aggressive A/T tires. Thoughts on trying to get back in there with my lifted Subie?

15. Likes Canyon_Cal liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcweyen View Post
    I see that a Subaru Forester got in to this campsite at some point. https://backcountrypost.com/threads/...-canyons.5722/

I lifted my Outback Sport three inches and it now has more clearance than a Forester (it now has around 9.5 inches at the lowest point) and added aggressive A/T tires. Thoughts on trying to get back in there with my lifted Subie?
    Yeah, you should make it fine. My wife jumped a 20 inch drop ledge with her Outback wagon!! Just a couple places where I cased out, but it didn't do any damage to my full size, stock height Chevy truck. Its all about careful driving. Take it slow and look for the best line when you can see you're coming up on the rough stuff. I would suggest stopping at the first triangular plateau - the road is considerably more sketchy past that point.
    There is one place where you come up over a blind hill that you need to stay to the right (toward the drop-off!) to avoid casing out. That was the worst hit we took. This is on the way out - obviously stay to the left on return trip. Also refer to my earlier post on the sink hole - drive up over the solid rock to the right, don't try to ford it. Would be best if another party with a second vehicle and tow chain went along. We used my tow chain three times!

17. Likes mcweyen, jdn1221 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcweyen View Post

I have driven that road several times, but I don't think I'd do it in my Subaru. A lifted Subaru might make it, but you would be taking a big risk. Personally, I don't see the reasoning of risking of it just to save an hour or two of easy walking. If your car is old and you don't care about it much though, maybe.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

19. Likes mcweyen liked this post
    Scott P, when was the last time you drove that old mining road to Happy Canyon? I get the impression the road is in better shape that it used to be. Older trip reports speak of moving a number of boulders off the road to get through, but I only had to roll one out of my way. Another was kind of in my way, but I managed to squeeze past on the way out; for return trip, I just rolled over it! Don't attempt that with your Subie! This boulder was on the inside track (uphill side of road). But your Subie is narrower than my truck, so you'll be fine. If there is any ice on the mining road though, all bets are off, since the road slopes toward the drop in places. In any case, I recommend driving as far as comfortable, then hoofing it the rest of the way. It will be hard doing it all in one day though - that's the motivation for driving as far as possible.

21. Likes mcweyen liked this post
    Just to answer a recent question, I'm posting this pic as the "don't go any farther" point for a full size truck. When you see this big boulder, turn around where the white Tahoe is and go back to the last triangular plateau as the Pewter Chevy is doing. This boulder will be on your right as you go towards Happy Canyon, of course. That plateau would also be a good camping spot. Now if you have a small jeep, UTV, ATV or motor bike, you can go another 1/4 mile or so where the road turns into a single track at the land slide. But at that point, I dare say all forms of wheeled vehicles are at a stopping point, including mountain bikes.
    Name:  20171209_162638.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  50.0 KB

Is this the same Happy Canyon that is in the Canyonlands Maze district?

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post

I don't think so. This Happy Canyon is the one that is to the east of the Poison Springs area, and empties into the Dirty Devil river. It is accessed from State Hwy 95 south out of Hanksville.

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I don't think so. This Happy Canyon is the one that is to the east of the Poison Springs area, and empties into the Dirty Devil river. It is accessed from State Hwy 95 south out of Hanksville.
    happy canyon is a long canyon that extends almost to the southwestern border of the maze. the head of the canyon is in the orange cliffs (GCNRA) and the narrows are at the confluence with the dirty devil.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    happy canyon is a long canyon that extends almost to the southwestern border of the maze. the head of the canyon is in the orange cliffs (GCNRA) and the narrows are at the confluence with the dirty devil.

We are doing a 5 day trip into the Maze over Memorial Weekend. Our first campsite is at Happy Canyon. From what I have read, we can explore up from the bottom and see the best parts of the canyon from there and go back to our vehicles. Our next campsites are back in towards Chimney Rock and Doll House areas. Just curious is all and trying to find as much info about the Maze as I can. It's a huge area and just trying to make the best use of our time that we have there.

There's another old mining road starting near the Hans Flat ranger station that could get you into the head (high end) of Happy Canyon, from the East. The road is no longer passable by any kind of motor vehicle though; it would be hiking only. There are actually trees growing in it. This would also be a very long route getting there. I've done a lot of research, and despite the claims of some, I can't find an "easy" way of getting to this canyon. Maybe floating down the Dirty Devil until you get to it? Or doing a bush plane landing on one of a couple old air strips. You might also land on the "beach" in the mouth of the Happy Canyon with an ultralight aircraft.

28. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    There's another old mining road starting near the Hans Flat ranger station that could get you into the head (high end) of Happy Canyon, from the East. The road is no longer passable by any kind of motor vehicle though; it would be hiking only. There are actually trees growing in it. This would also be a very long route getting there. I've done a lot of research, and despite the claims of some, I can't find an "easy" way of getting to this canyon. Maybe floating down the Dirty Devil until you get to it? Or doing a bush plane landing on one of a couple old air strips. You might also land on the "beach" in the mouth of the Happy Canyon with an ultralight aircraft.

This is so true. It really is the most remote slot canyon I've ever visited. And it makes me happy that it is like this. The high price of admission keeps the relentless masses at bay.

30. Likes Canyon_Cal liked this post