Thread: Cable Canyon TR

Cable Canyon TR

I am planning on going through cable canyon or quandary direct this next week 13th 14th and 15th, temps look to be in the 70s in the afternoon and the 30s at night. I have a 4/3 wetsuit I plan on wearing. will this be suffice for the water temps? Will there be Ice on top of the potholes? Is this a bad Idea?
    I have been through seger's hole, Imlay, neon, Das Boot, Echo, Fat mans misery, to name a few, but all were in the summer. Thanks for any advice in advance.
    Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think if the temps stay in the 70's, a 4/3 would be fine for either canyon. I doubt there would be any ice in those potholes.

Just wear a helmet -- you'll be fine.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

You looking for partners?
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

TR

Just missed us by a couple of hours. Well we ended up doing cable canyon. All the potholes in the upper section were completly dry and only 1 of the pot holes in the lower section had water in it. I was blown away to see this canyon dry. oh well I guess I will have to do it again later this year. here's some pics
    [/img]http://&#91;img]http://i50.photobucket.c...91;/img]<br />

Re: TR

Quote Originally Posted by mrabe1979
    All the pot hole in the upper section were completly dry and only 1 of the pot hole in the lower section had water in it.
    so how are teh escapes ? we missed cable last year. segers hole was brim full at that time so i assume cable would have been easy swim outs as well. but dry are the escapes difficult ? hook holes present for a bathook/etrier combo, or did you partner assist &/or pack toss ?
    signature

potholes

The second pothole in the upper section was the only one that was tricky, The lip was about ten feet tall. By standing on my brothers shoulders I was able to escape after that all the exits were fairly easy. Some of the entries into the pothole were tricky. An Ibis hook was usefull for entry into these dry potholes. The one pothole with water was really cold, it reminded me of Zion canyons really took my breath away. here is a pic of the webbing we cut out at the last rap. The webbing had sand packed inside of it for about 2 feet in length
    http://&#91;img]http://i50.photobucket.c...91;/img]<br />

Re: potholes

Quote Originally Posted by mrabe1979
    here is a pic of the webbing we cut out at the last rap. The webbing had sand packed inside of it for about 2 feet in length
    ohhhhh.. and after it had become good and "seasoned" and practically a part of thte natural environment.

thanks for the info on the escapes. do you know if the ph's were at full scour, or if they can be deeper ?
    signature

potholes

The pothole's could defiantly be deeper, but they were all loaded with large rocks so you could stack rocks up to aid in escape. although with water in these holes that would be really difficult. I think a happy hooker would be very helpful in this canyon. granted pack tosses work but can be very difficult or impossible if treading water. The end rap in this canyon is very cool and a must see in my opinion.