Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rope

Rope

I am looking to buy a new rope for canyoneering. Anyone have any advice on what type/brand of rope to buy and the best place to get it.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    The best value are probably tom's ropes.

http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/inde...f6119f3d04baa8

concur.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Ditto

If ya want to read more there is some good rope info buried in the getting started thread.

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4914

my philosophy is - if they sell it for what i want to use it for, its fine. i have had pmi ropes teh last 3 years. a caver i know recommended them and they were the cheapest so there i went. i wash them as needed and inspect for wear and they have been fine. brands and names don't mean anything in the end is my honest opinion, other than personal preferences based on whatever reasons. w/ the canyoneering ropes something that sheds water well is a big plus, and there are plenty of brands to choose from.
    signature

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

for canyoneering...

Quote Originally Posted by goofball
    my philosophy is - if they sell it for what i want to use it for, its fine. i have had pmi ropes teh last 3 years. a caver i know recommended them.
    Caving rope?

Tom

my only petty comment i have about your ropes Tom, is that there is no ORANGE color choice...

ORANGE ropes just look so great in photos

besides that, man they are really nice!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

orange?

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    my only petty comment i have about your ropes Tom, is that there is no ORANGE color choice...

Working on new colors, sort of, so this year's 8mm will be red and orange on white. One of the reasons I can offer the ropes at such a good price is that the white fiber is 20% cheaper than the dyed fibers.

Tom

And matches my helmet

Re: orange?

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares

Working on new colors, sort of, so this year's 8mm will be red and orange on white. One of the reasons I can offer the ropes at such a good price is that the white fiber is 20% cheaper than the dyed fibers.

Tom
    I will sacrifice the 20% for the white fibers vs. pretty photos. Ain't no rope gonna make me better lookin'...... Although pretty rope may distract folks from my looking at my mug.... maybe I do want orange ropes. Never mind..... bring on the orange ropes.
    Life is Good

Re: for canyoneering...

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    my philosophy is - if they sell it for what i want to use it for, its fine. i have had pmi ropes teh last 3 years. a caver i know recommended them.
    Caving rope?

Tom
    actually, i think it is just another brand of static rope. he uses it to cave. i prefer to canyon w/ it. whatever gets me there...
    signature

Hey,

I have one of those Orange Ropes (BW Canyon), it does make me look good on rap, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch
    Hey,

I have one of those Orange Ropes (BW Canyon), it does make me look good on rap, LOL
    No they don't. They simply shift the focus on the rope not you.
    Life is Good

Re: Rope

Quote Originally Posted by jstheman1
    I am looking to buy a new rope for canyoneering. Anyone have any advice on what type/brand of rope to buy and the best place to get it.
    I don't know how soon you are looking at getting your rope? We are having a sale through the 11th of April. We got the Tom's models and the Blue Water models.

www.northwashoutfitters.com
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonbug
    I don't know how soon you are looking at getting your rope? We are having a sale through the 11th of April. We got the Tom's models and the Blue Water models.

oh god... there goes the nieghborhood.

signature

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonbug

This commercial announcement was brought to you by Canyonbug. A fine member of the uutah community...weighing in with a grand total of 1 post.

Jared is a welcome addition if he sticks around and contributes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Yah, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt cause he's a n00b. I hope yer right.

oh god... there goes the nieghborhood.

We love you to J. Miss getting out in the canyons with you as often as we used to, now that you live in the BIG City.
    Jared Hillhouse
    N.W.O. on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Thanks Shane,

Noob depends on your opinion. Noob here as far as posts. I have been lurking for a while and one of your fine members convinced me to get an account and contribute.

O.K. the commercial was a lame first post. It was a post I noticed today and thought I would try to save the guy a few bucks if he wants his ropes now. We all know ropes ain't cheep and to save a few bucks on something that will need to be replaced sometime might do a person good.

I will try to contribute something more beneficial to the group from now on. That is if I am welcome to play along.
    Jared Hillhouse
    N.W.O. on Facebook