Thread: Mount Olympus

Mount Olympus

Has anyone been up the Mount Olympus trail lately? Depending on the weather I'm thinking about hitting it on Sunday.

I'm a little spooked by the avy danger, but I feel like I need to climb that sucker before my ACL surgery at the end of the month.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Mount Olympus

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    Has anyone been up the Mount Olympus trail lately? Depending on the weather I'm thinking about hitting it on Sunday.

I'm a little spooked by the avy danger, but I feel like I need to climb that sucker before my ACL surgery at the end of the month.
    Avy danger...and falling people...(the Korean group, was that about this time last year?).

Take an ice axe and the knowledge of how to self arrest too...

Be awhile before the west slabs come into condition as the usual easy rock climb, methinks...

-Brian in SLC

Mt Oly sees lots of winter traffic. Only major danger I have witnessed is occasionally the summit ridge gets a massive cornice. Just use caution approaching the final ridge until you know where the firm footing is. We used to climb Oly all the time in winter when I was in Jr High and high school because I lived near the base. I'd say ski poles are more valuable then an ice axe on that hike. The trail gets icy if it sees much traffic.

Well, I don't have an ice axe, so if I go I'll have to take my chances with trekking or ski poles.

Anyone got a link to the Korean Hikers story? I haven't heard of it.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

I found this account....

In Utah, a close call for some hikers, the group stranded for a night in freezing weather on Mount Olympus near Salt Lake City, some with serious injuries. They had made it to the top. They were coming back down when they got into big trouble on an icy slope. More from Tim Lister.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

TIM LISTER, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): Clinging to life on the face of a mountain, four trekkers, members of a local Korean climbing club, trapped just below the summit of Mount Olympus. The temperature on the mountainside, about four degrees Fahrenheit.

A group of seven hikers set out on Saturday, but on the way down from the peak left the trail. They were not roped together.

One of the women hikers slipped, knocking over two others, who fell 60 feet. The whole group ended up on the shear mountainside with darkness closing in.

When they failed to return, family members alerted authorities. Rescuers were able to locate the group and bring three uninjured hikers off the mountain overnight. But three others had suffered fractures, and lifting them off by helicopter before daybreak was too risky.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The area they were in was very technical and very dangerous and unstable area.

LISTER: A mountain rescue team stayed with the injured hikers overnight. And at daybreak, the operation began to bring them down.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: They were not hysterical. They were fairly well-contained. They understood their situation. They were relaxed, and they let us do their work. They weren't jumping up and down trying to, you know, take control of what we wanted to do.

LISTER: The first to be brought off the mountain, a woman with serious back injuries.

One of the hikers acknowledged they had had a lucky escape.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Without the rescue team's excellent job, maybe we really have really big problems. So they did a really great job.

LISTER: But when asked why the group had left the trail he said...

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It was a mountain area, it's challenging.

LISTER: In this case, somewhat too challenging.

Tim Lister, CNN, Atlanta.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

And this account....

Helicopter rescue in the Mount Olympus Wilderness
    January 22, 2006

Rescuers from the Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue Team landed by helicopter inside the Mount Olympus Wilderness on a Saturday night to come to the aid of a group of seven mountaineers, three of whom had been injured in a 100-foot fall. Three of the group were able to walk down overnight, and four others were airlifted out the next morning. The hikers were all experienced members of the Korean Alpine Club of Utah. The accident happened in Tolcats Canyon as they were descending from the summit of Mount Olympus, and involved some serious fractures and broken ribs. A cell phone was used to call for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I found this account....

four trekkers, members of a local Korean climbing club,
    I've never climbed a Korean. Is that difficult? What gear should I bring?
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I found this account....

four trekkers, members of a local Korean climbing club,
    a short rope and a couple of cams ought to do it.
    Life is Good

Careful with the cam placement though. They're kinda chossy.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    It's just like an Israeli - only the cracks are sideways.

"My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Re: Mount Olympus

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    Kris...I am considering hiking Olympus this weekend. I was wondering if you made an attempt last weekend? If so, what type of conditions did you find?

Thanks...

man you guys are killing me here

DevNull:

I never made it up. I was going to go up yesterday (03/18), but couldn't find the motivation. Maybe this Sunday.