Thread: Canyoneering or Ice climbing?

Canyoneering or Ice climbing?

Saw this in another forum. Looks fun! Maybe I should head to Zion's next winter.

http://www.door5.com/climbing/Ice/20.../IMG_1728.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Canyoneering or Ice climbing?

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    Saw this in another forum. Looks fun! Maybe I should head to Zion's next winter.
    Zion's Co-operative Mercantile Institution?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZCMI

Pretty neat. Have climbed with those guys. Strong laddies...

They had done the canyon earlier that winter...and saw the potential. Went back and sent it. One of them thinks its possible to do the canyon from very bottom to top, even the rock bits that don't have much ice.

Folks might recognize the feller from that website as the person on the news a couple weeks back who'se grandfather got scammed from someone in Canada. Identity theft type thing. Jared thinks someone surfed his site, got his grandfather's name, then called him and claimed he was Jared, hurt in Canada on the climbing trip, and to wire a bunch of money but not contact the rest of the family. Bad deal.

-Brian in SLC

What canyon is it in?
    I've often thought it'd be fun to do some canyoneering routes backwards in the winter.

When I go canyoneering at Zion's I usually just take the escalators...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

What canyon is it in?
    Kinda easy to guess. They did that route in three pitches from the bottom of the first big drop.

Another hint: Wang Hongbao 1975.

-Brian in SLC

Well it's not one I've done, so I don't recognize it.
    Englestead?

What canyon is it in?
    I've often thought it'd be fun to do some canyoneering routes backwards in the winter.
    Looks like Englestead?

Dean Kurtz who is part of Kane SAR sent me some pictures a couple years ago of the Englestead headwall in winter. It looked like an awesome ice climb. Dean took the pictures while rescuing some dogs who cased a cougar over the canyon lip. Tanya might have a link to Dean's story and pictures somewhere.

I think there is some good ice climbing in Zion if a feller were to do some looking. I'm thinking the Oak Creek area has to have some good stuff.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    What canyon is it in?
    Looks like Englestead?

Dean Kurtz who is part of Kane SAR sent me some pictures a couple years ago of the Englestead headwall in winter. It looked like an awesome ice climb. Dean took the pictures while rescuing some dogs who cased a cougar over the canyon lip. Tanya might have a link to Dean's story and pictures somewhere.

I think there is some good ice climbing in Zion if a feller were to do some looking. I'm thinking the Oak Creek area has to have some good stuff.

I would have to dig through my Zion Yahoo Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_N...l_Park_Hiking/ to find it. I should post it on my Dean Kurtz page. Bo and I need to drag Dean out more this year!

Dean Kurtz
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/dean-kurtz.htm

More Englestead Shots

Bo on the first rapplel

Dean on the same one

There is even one of me there. I forgot about it!

Man, that would combine my 2 favorite sports, canyoneering and ice climbing!

A little background info.... Dean is a canyoneer and member of Kane County SAR. The following was stuff he posted in the old Canyoneer egroup a few years ago.

Some info on Englestead:

If you're considering a winter descent in the next few weeks, I would advise against it. There is a lot of ice and a lot of snow. The ice is in particularly bad condition, very soft and very unstable.

Also, for the next group through. Be aware that in the open section below the fluted rappel there is a possibility that you will come across the bodies of a mature mountain lion and a hound dog (hunting trip gone bad yesterday). My SAR team and I rescued the other four hounds from ledges on the west side of Englestead. The owner would like to recover the other dog and the cat, but I told him it was not likely. He is also very interested in having at least the collar from the hound, so if anyone comes across the collar or is so inclined to take the collar off of the dog and would like to return it, get in contact with me.

Dean

Guide got a local fellow to go in yesterday to recover the animals. Turns out that they tumbled/slid/fell to a ledge at about the 200' mark. Amazing thing is that the dog survived, UNHURT! Anyway, local guy recovered the property and all is relatively well with the world.

Dean

Attached Images Attached Images