Thread: Keens - Tanya

Keens - Tanya

Hi Tanya,

In the previous post on Mystery Canyon I noticed in your photo that you were wearing Keen's. How do they work for you? Do you wear them in the canyons? I read on Todd's Desert Hiking website(?) a gear review of his wife/girlfriend? saying she liked them on approaches but I am wondering how they perform on descents?

Adrian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot

Re: Keens - Tanya

Quote Originally Posted by adrians
    Hi Tanya,

In the previous post on Mystery Canyon I noticed in your photo that you were wearing Keen's. How do they work for you? Do you wear them in the canyons? I read on Todd's Desert Hiking website(?) a gear review of his wife/girlfriend? saying she liked them on approaches but I am wondering how they perform on descents?

Adrian
    Hi Adrian

I wear my keens everywhere, but just because I am a barefoot kind of girl and that's the closest I can get away with in the canyons and on the types of hikes I do! If I were a shoe type of person I would wear Sportiva's. They make a great canyon shoe or you can go for the Exum Ridge which I do wear often in the Canyons. The keens do not stick like the Exum Ridge --- I find it much harder to climb and get around in them, but I still wear them. If I am doing something like Kolob or the Narrows, I go for the 5-10's or River runners (think that's the name of them) They are a version of 5-10s but not as expensive.

More Info
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/canyoneering-gear.htm

Thanks,

I usually use the Sportiva Exum River--cuz the grippiness is so great. The reason I was asking is that I started to take my daughter who is 11 years old into the canyons. She is in bigtime growth mode and I am hesitant to shell out the 90$ for a new pair of Rivers. She too is a barefoot kind of girl, so I think we'll give it a shot when we try out Keyhole (brrrr) and Echo in Zion in April.

I usually just put my kids in El-cheapo tennis shoes. They grip descent and I like the full foot protection and support. It's hard to spend major coin on kids when the shoes only last 3 months because of growth.

My 2 cents.