Thread: Cedar Mesa in March

Cedar Mesa in March

Hey all, I'm toying with the idea of doing Cheesebox and Gravel in March. If temps stay in the high 60's to low 70's down that way, these wouldn't be bad with full wetsuits right? Also how are some of the other canyons in the area? East Fork of Cheese is mainly an Indian ruins hike with a couple rappels right? Or does it have an actual slot? Hideout sounds like it's mainly hiking to Indian ruins with a really short slot and rappels. How about Long Canyon, I've heard Kelsey will be featuring it in his next book, anyone done the tech section? Beta? How is it? Thanks.

Eric.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If temps stay in the high 60's to low 70's down that way, these wouldn't be bad with full wetsuits right?
    One at the end of March we found a lot of snow in the upper end of Cheesebox and that area. I assume it was unusual, but definately take that wetsuit and warm clothes.

Also how are some of the other canyons in the area?
    I've been told that Deer is the most beautiful in the White Complex, but haven't done it. Supposedly it has lots of swimming though?

Fortknocker is OK and for the most part non-technical. Supposedly it has ruins, but I didn't see them.

Haven't done Short.

I haven't done the Horse Tanks Canyons, but I believe Shane said they weren't very good.

Fry is short and has one swim hole and nice ruins.

East Fork of Cheese is mainly an Indian ruins hike with a couple rappels right? Or does it have an actual slot?
    Yes there is a fairly short slot before the confluence of the two forks and in the East Fork.

Hideout sounds like it's mainly hiking to Indian ruins with a really short slot and rappels.
    Yep, but it's still pretty cool with the ruins. Might be a good cold weather one since there are only a few pools.

How about Long Canyon, I've heard Kelsey will be featuring it in his next book, anyone done the tech section? Beta? How is it? Thanks.
    Long Canyon is pretty good (bunch of short narrows) and has some really nice side canyons. It is (or was) possible to climb all the way up it and is featured in Canyoneering II.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Scott is right on with all of his responses. Let me know what dates you're lookin at. I'd like to join ya if I can.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I haven't done Cheesebox, but I'd suggest the following:

The Fry swim(s) should be fine with a wetsuit. Make sure you have some flotation in your pack.

Since Gravel almost certainly flashed last October, the narrows should be fine. They were pretty vegi-matter choked before then. Watch for ice, too.

Have fun!

assuming technical canyons are the main destinations and you want to fill the days ?

just to elaborate on a coupel already mentioned -

horse tanks is a nice canyon, but only the last few hundred feet are technical, and it would be a 1/2 day thing unless you dawdled and checked out white some before comign back out.

short is just that. very pretty but only takes a couple hours. again, if dawdling in white after it would fill the day.

fortknocker is nice, although i didn't see any ruins either. 1/2 day.

and lost canyon on the backside of the white complex is really nice. again to fill the day you would have to dawdle afterwards.

depending on how cold tolerant you are cheesebox or gravel would be totally reasonable w/ teh proper wetsuit, 4 or 5mm ? i found gravel to be the colder of the 2.
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Scott is right on with all of his responses. Let me know what dates you're lookin at. I'd like to join ya if I can.
    Well, it was going to be some time this week, but plans have changed. We are doing Hard Day Harvey with Mike and Chuck on Saturday, you are more than welcome to join us. Meeting at Bullfrog Marina Friday night (knowing Mike and Chuck they won't be there till LATE Friday night or early Saturday morning).

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Well, it was going to be some time this week, but plans have changed. We are doing Hard Day Harvey with Mike and Chuck on Saturday, you are more than welcome to join us. Meeting at Bullfrog Marina Friday night (knowing Mike and Chuck they won't be there till LATE Friday night or early Saturday morning).
    Hmmmm...sorry, I've already committed to do Shenanigans on Saturday with a different party.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.