Thread: Grandeur Peak this weekend

Grandeur Peak this weekend

I'm going to attempt Grandeur Peak this Friday (March 9).

Two questions:

1-Can I take my dog off-leash?
    2-Do you think I'll need snowshoes?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Dogs are allowed off leash on odd numbered days. I think technically the Grandeur Peak trail is supposed to be on leash -- it's not listed on the Trails for Your Dog page -- but I don't think it's enforced.

I haven't been up there, but I can't imagine you'll need showshoes. The warm weather coupled with the trail's southern exposure should melt the snow off the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    Dogs are allowed off leash on odd numbered days. I think technically the Grandeur Peak trail is supposed to be on leash -- it's not listed on the Trails for Your Dog page -- but I don't think it's enforced.

I haven't been up there, but I can't imagine you'll need showshoes. The warm weather coupled with the trail's southern exposure should melt the snow off the trail.
    I think if you start in Millcreek Canyon, then, on an even day, your dog would need to be on a leash.

Grandeur is a fairly popular venue. I'd think there might be a packed down trail. But, the aspect and orientation of that trail puts it in the shady side of the slope a bunch, and, I'd think most years you'd benefit from skis and/or snowshoes. Also, be careful of any avalanche danger up there. Thin snowpack can be a killer. Some of the trail is "terrain trappy".

-Brian in SLC

You using Church Fork or the West Ridge?

I've had really good luck climbing Grandeur in winter using the West Ridge. I also think you could probably take your dog anytime using the West Ridge.

Grandeur Routes
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/grandeur.htm

Planning on using Church Fork.

If it keeps raining like it is today, I won't be going at all tomorrow.

Thanks for all the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I've had really good luck climbing Grandeur in winter using the West Ridge. I also think you could probably take your dog anytime using the West Ridge.
    Wouldn't be surprised if there's a trail of sorts on the West Ridge. A friend who likes to mountain run (possibly an understatement) runs this after work in the winter all the time.

We used to boulder on the reef up there. Some fun rock climbing in that area now too.

Forecast for tomorrow is for the city to hit near 60F and mostly sunny. Sounds like a great day to be in the hills.

-Brian in SLC