Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ditch the smelly sleeping bag and go 'glamping'

Ditch the smelly sleeping bag and go 'glamping'

Link

NEW YORK (AP) -- Did a bad experience turn you off camping? Maybe your tent leaked in a rainstorm or you shivered all night in a borrowed, smelly sleeping bag. Or that thin foam pad you were trying to sleep on didn't do much to protect your back from the rocky, uneven ground beneath your tent.

It doesn't have to be that way. Tour companies and resorts now offer luxury camping, and the term "glamping" -- shorthand for glamorous camping -- is starting to turn up in reports from the United Kingdom and Canada. The New York Post recently mentioned "glamping" in an article on a new Web site for luxury travel, http://www.globorati.comexternal link. (The story also referred to "jetrosexuals" as a globetrotting jetsetter who thinks nothing of hopping on a plane to Asia for a shopping spree.)

In British Columbia, Canada, the Clayoquot Wilderness Resort, a 30-minute boat ride from the town of Tofino, is offering "glamping" on a fjord on the west coast of Vancouver Island. Tents have Persian carpets, down duvets and even electricity. There's a sauna and hot tubs on site, and activities including fishing, horseback riding, kayaking, hikes and wildlife-watching.

But if you thought camping was a budget vacation option, you'll have to readjust your expectations for glamping. Three-night packages at the Clayoquot resort begin at $4,100 a person, double occupancy. Details at 888-333-5405 or http://www.wildretreat.comexternal link.

Other tour companies offer luxury tent accommodations as well. Abercrombie & Kent has several trips to Africa that include high-end camping, such as guided tours of Botswana that include game drives and accommodations in "walk-in tents with extra length beds, crisp sheets and warm blankets," plus a "mess tent" for what's described as "bush-style haute cuisine" served on china and linen tablecloths. Details at http://www.abercrombiekent.comexternal link or 800-554-7016.

Closer to home and a bit less upscale, but still a world away from the do-it-yourself leaky tent, Maine Family Adventures offers a deluxe guided camping trip to Acadia National Park; http://www.mainefamilyadventures.com...p.htmlexternal link. Meals prepared by the guides, camping equipment and activities are all included in the cost of about $1,000 a person.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Ditch the smelly sleeping bag and go 'glamping'

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Tents have Persian carpets, down duvets and even electricity. There's a sauna and hot tubs on site, and activities including fishing, horseback riding, kayaking, hikes and wildlife-watching.

"walk-in tents with extra length beds, crisp sheets and warm blankets," plus a "mess tent" for what's described as "bush-style haute cuisine" served on china and linen tablecloths.
    oh, hell yeah !
    signature

Not quite "glamping", but my in-laws took the kids to stay in these yurts, also on Vancouver Island (like Clayoquot), last summer:

Not a bad spot at all, for soft-walled accomodations.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000

I have a friend that I introduced to camping 3 years ago. He enjoyed it a lot. When he got home he spent $15,000 on camping supplies and then took his family camping. He had so much stuff that they had to get a uhaul to carry it all. I really think he misses the point.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Little to flashy for me

After reading a post like that, I want to go into The Maze with nothing but a knife.

Three-night packages at the Clayoquot resort begin at $4,100 a person, double occupancy
    $4100 for 3-nights? Screw that.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Three-night packages at the Clayoquot resort begin at $4,100 a person, double occupancy
    '

Hella yeah.. even if I a had the money that still seems like a waste to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    '

Hella yeah.. even if I a had the money that still seems like a waste to me.
    I would much rather sleep on the ground than get bent over for the $4100.

Quote Originally Posted by shagster
    Do I hear $4200?

I bought a book last year called: "Tom Brown's Survival Guide". It was a combination of his outdoor and domestic survival books. It was awesome! After reading it my wife and two of our friends did two different survival campouts where we did not bring anything with us and had to survive for 3 days. It was a lot of fun. It really is surprising how little you really need when it comes down to it.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Bogley BigShot
    Where to I call to have the set up in the Grand Canyon for 2 weeks! Yahoo!!! I am ready for endure those horrible nights on the hard ground now!

Does anyone have a credit card I can borrow.

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    Quote Originally Posted by shagster
    Do I hear $4200?
    $4200 - I am a "Jetrosexual" - whatever that really mean.s

no shit

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers

I have a friend that I introduced to camping 3 years ago. He enjoyed it a lot. When he got home he spent $15,000 on camping supplies and then took his family camping. He had so much stuff that they had to get a uhaul to carry it all. I really think he misses the point.

I like it! After 2 weeks of camping out I bet I like it even more!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya

that kind of camping w/ my card comes with a friend

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker

Okay, but you get the floor.

that looks like a bearskin rug...or is it bare skin on the rug..

Oh dang...hard to get huh? What about acca?

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca

Oh dang...hard to get huh? What about acca?

For you..... you can have the bed and I will sleep on the floor.