Thread: Snowy Exit Crack?

Snowy Exit Crack?

I'm thinking of poking around the Robber's roost area this weekend. Think we'll have problems getting out the exit cracks if we did High Spur or North Fork of Robbers Roost?
    Any of the exit cracks in the RR canyons I should be avoiding? I don't remember which canyon it was this last winter where a couple of guys got stuck bc they couldn't get out the exit.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Do High Spur, I highly recommend it. It's one of the better canyons to come a long over the last couple of years. I believe the canyon is headed for classic status. Its long, its beautiful, and its beginner friendly with competent leadership.

The Exit from High Spur is north facing and was snow free for us, but places in the bottom of the slot had snow 2 or 3 feet deep. Also, the road getting in was snow covered in places. If the Roost received new snow I would recommend 4x4.

North Fork of RR is also a great winter canyon. I believe that exit crack also melts out fast, really only one place you might have trouble with snow in North Fork.

The Moki Exit from the Mindbenders it what got folks in trouble earlier this year. Part of the problem is the exit involves some friction moves which don't work well in snow covered slickrock.

One caution with winter routes, carry enough map that you don't walk off the edge of yours if snow forces you to seek anther exit route. North Fork, The Mindbenders, Larry and High Spur all have other exit routes that allow escape if the standard route is impassable. But they all involve some slogging.

when we did the north fork spur, there was a bunch of snow in canyon, but none on the exit. you'd be fine

but definately car shuttle if you have the vehicles to do it with.

shortly past the deadman turnoff the road starts to climb.
    it was slightly erroded and rutted, but nothing a decent 4X4 couldnt handle.

i really like this canyon, and w/ good light, OH MAN, you'd get some schweet shots.

I really think with the forecast that the Roost will be in excellent condition this next week. If you look at the photos in my Larry Canyon post, you will note that there is only very sparse snow and only on north facing slopes. With the rising temps, That little bit of snow should be gone very soon if it is not gone already.
    Life is Good

Damn. I saw the title "snowy exit crack" and rapidly clicked thinking I would get to see something else.
    Too bad.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Not...dead...yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Do High Spur, I highly recommend it. It's one of the...

The Moki Exit from the Mindbenders it what got folks in trouble earlier this year. Part of the problem is the exit involves some friction moves which don't work well in snow covered slickrock.

One caution with winter routes, carry enough map that you don't walk off the edge of yours if snow forces you to seek anther exit route. North Fork, The Mindbenders, Larry and High Spur all have other exit routes that allow escape if the standard route is impassable. But they all involve some slogging.

What he said. The guys from Heber would have gone out the White Roost probably, as that is the easiest exit on their map. From there, it is a bit of a trot back to the car. The Crack Exit SHOULD be OK, but the Partner-Climb Exit is more difficult. Requires 3 people in benevolent conditions.

Make sure you bring a lighter.

And don't have your folks call until they're pretty sure you're dead.

Tom

well...its not too snowy, just a little chapped right now.