Thread: Larry Canyon - Robbers Roost 3-3-07

Larry Canyon - Robbers Roost 3-3-07

Great fun in a classic Roost Canyon. Chef John, Larry and I got up early on Saturday 3-3-07 and drove to meet Spiderman Steve, Clark and three others(Andy, Landon, and Derek-our only newbie). We ate some eggs and antelope(?) sausage (thanks Clark) and potatoes and after a car spot, off we went. We were supposed to have two or three other newbies but they were last second cancellations. There was some scattered snow patches on the north facing slopes but it was scattered. We packed up a bit of extra gear in case the exit crack was dicey. Derek had never been in a canyon except Blue John (which doesn't really count does it?). We helped him hook up and we all rapped in. The moki step entrance was too dicey due to the patchy snow. We had a great time in Larry. There was a couple of recent rock falls, one apparently squished a deer. At least that is what it looked like. (Photo below) Big boulder and two legs plus a couple of ribs sticking out the bottom says squished to me. I named it Raulston. We slid, we scraped, we rapped and we hiked. When we got to the exit crack, we were golden. Not a bit of snow or ice to deal with. We exited around the butte right instead of left which seemed to be easier. Hike time about 5.5 hours. One photo I posted is of a little slit that drop into Larry just down canyon from the final rap on the right side. Anyone been there? The exit out of that canyon looks about 200 feet off the deck. Great day to get out of town. Oh ya. Almost forgot, Rays burgers are still the best and the urinal is still functional.
    Attached Images Attached Images                
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice TR.

Larry is on my list. Maybe I'll try to hit it in the next couple months. Would you say it's worth the exit hike? Would you say so 10 minutes after you complete the exit hike?

I wish I would have gone canyoneering or biking this weekend. My retarded friends all convinced me to stick around, and then they didn't want to do anything.

I built a snow cave in willowcreek park and went snowboarding.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    Would you say it's worth the exit hike? Would you say so 10 minutes after you complete the exit hike?

Yes and yes. I drove about 3 1/2 hours to do this little gem for the second time so I already knew what I was getting into. We toyed with the idea of doing Alcatraz but not everyone had suits and we didn't want to do it chop rock style this time of year. I really like Larry. It is a great place to take newbies. Just enough of everything. It is a very pretty canyon. Also, we were thinking of Not Mindbender but the moki exit with the recent snow was not gonna happen. Go do it. It is not that hard and a fun little canyon. But do it before it gets to hot or that exit will really wipe you out.
    Life is Good

Nice TR and pictures. Thanks.... I bet you guys had a bit of puker factor going wondering about a snow covered exit crack?

Price, I think I know what you are asking.... and here is my 2 cents.... I'd say Larry is certainly worth doing with a car shuttle. It wouldn't be high on my list without a shuttle. :-)

Price, I think I know what you are asking.... and here is my 2 cents.... I'd say Larry is certainly worth doing with a car shuttle. It wouldn't be high on my list without a shuttle. :-)
    Ya lazy bum. It's only a walk of a couple miles and it's cool to rim walk and see the raps and slot from above.

Personally, I would highly recommend rim walking it without the car shuttle.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Ya lazy bum.
    That's me

Sand slogging just ain't my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

i agree w/ Shane... w/ a car shuttle it's a nice canyon. screw the sand slog!

and you'd have very little difficulty getting the Furbaru down there w/ your sleuth driving skills

nice TR scott!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Nice TR and pictures. Thanks.... I bet you guys had a bit of puker factor going wondering about a snow covered exit crack?
    I think I was the only one who had the pucker factor. I followed the story of the Not Mindbender rescue. I was the one who kept mentioning it before we dropped in. But we did have a bit of extra gear for the crack just in case and a very talented climber with us. Also, I noticed that there was no snow per se on the vertical faces for the most part and thought that a good sign. Further, I did know we could get out with more of a slog.
    Life is Good

Re: Larry Canyon - Robbers Roost 3-3-07

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Oh ya. Almost forgot, Rays burgers are still the best and the urinal is still functional.
    Functional or nonfunctional? I haven't been in Ray's for six months, but it seemed like that thing was continuously out of order for at least a couple years prior to that.

Ditto on the burgers.

Nice job Scott! Pretty canyon!! We've been in need of summore recent TRs from the Roost side.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Re: Larry Canyon - Robbers Roost 3-3-07

Quote Originally Posted by utidcapaco
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Oh ya. Almost forgot, Rays burgers are still the best and the urinal is still functional.
    Functional or nonfunctional? I haven't been in Ray's for six months, but it seemed like that thing was continuously out of order for at least a couple years prior to that.

Ditto on the burgers.
    I heard a couple of months back that it was finally made functional and I was happy to report that it is still functional! (after being broken for years like you said) Seems to me that place is shaping up ever so slightly. I may have to comb my hair next time.
    Life is Good

We have been hitting Ray's lately on the way home to eat a burger and catch the end of the NASCAR race. Lot's of fun. Most the folks who work there are big race fans.

If you tell the barmaid that Jimmy Johnson is a whining pussy she will give you a free drink

I wish I would have known that. A race was on and I was silent. However, all I saw there were guys. NO barmaids anywhere to be seen. I actually almost asked them to turn the channel to the BYU/UTAH game but I didn't dare.... I was in Green River after all.
    Life is Good

The one barmaid is pretty hot...... if ya like the MILF type

Usually when we come in Ray just hands us the channel clicker

nice report and photos scott. thanks