Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Kia's crappy cars?

Are Kia's crappy cars?

My truck blew up (again!), this time it's for good. I'm looking for a used car, I found a 96 kia sportage for pretty cheap and it has low miles. Anyways, I know back in the day kia came out with a 60000 mile warranty because their cars were rumored to be crappy. do they really suck or what? Anyone with first hand expierience?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have a Kia Sorrento - had it since August. No problems. I do like the warranty that came with it - had to use it - defective part - runs just fine now.

I haven't heard of any trying to kill the operator

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    I haven't heard of any trying to kill the operator

I owned a sportage. I didn't like it much. It ran ok but the interior was cheep and things would break like door handles and cup holders. The view to the rear is awful. A big spare tire is in the way.
    Life's to short to short to spend indoors

Quote Originally Posted by vamedtech
    A big spare tire is in the way.
    Full sized spare, better than those damn temp jobs

Here ya go

I just bought a car in December. With all the research I did, I found that Subaru seemed to be the way to go (so I bought an outback).
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I have heard they are becoming a very reliable card... I think they have a 100,000 mile warranty when you buy a new one now days

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    I haven't heard of any trying to kill the operator :haha:

KIA = Killed In Action
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

My wife and I had a 1995 Kia Sportage, bought new. It was one of the most trouble prone cars we had and we dumped it in 1999. Even if the warrantee seems good, it doesn't do you any good when the car is in the shop.

Newer Kias may fare better, but I would never buy one again. Cosumer Reports rates them poor as well.

They may sound inexpensive too, but you are going to lose lots of money to depreciation alone. The don't hold their value at all. After it was only four years old, it wasn't worth much for trade in, so it ended up costing us more than it would have if we bought a better vehicle.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    After it was only four years old, it wasn't worth much for trade in, so it ended up costing us more than it would have if we bought a better vehicle.
    Like a Dodge...?

-- Wm Blake

Don't ever buy an old-style Dodge Durango............WORTHLESS

Like a Dodge...?
    Yeah, something like that.

After having several problems and recalls over the few years we had it, the Kia Sportage almost left us stranded once when Mike Kelsey, Bob Janzen, Mike Kempt and I when we took it out to Segars Hole and Cable Canyon once in May 1999. Mike Kesley had his famous 81 Rabbit, but the road to Segars was too rough. A few weeks later we got our Pathfinder, which we still have.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by shanehadman
    Don't ever buy an old-style Dodge Durango............WORTHLESS :nono:
    Totally. Don't buy a Dodge unless it's got a Cummins mill.

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    I just bought a car in December. With all the research I did, I found that Subaru seemed to be the way to go (so I bought an outback).
    AHA! I knew you had a little hippie in you! I'll be glad to send you a Grateful Dead sticker for the tailgate.

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Coyote
    AHA! I knew you had a little hippie in you! I'll be glad to send you a Grateful Dead sticker for the tailgate.

My brother-in-law does think I'm a hippie because I enjoy the outdoors so much, but I wouldn't consider myself to be a hippie until I change my name to Moon-Flower.

Dude, your favorite cereal is Crunchy Oat Bran, you like the outdoors, and you own a Subie. You're just a Nalgene bottle away from following Phil Lesh around the country.

If I were you I'd start getting those name change forms ready, Moon-Flower.

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    Dude, your favorite cereal is Crunchy Oat Bran, you like the outdoors, and you own a Subie. You're just a Nalgene bottle away from following Phil Lesh around the country.

If I were you I'd start getting those name change forms ready, Moon-Flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    Have you had any trouble with the emissions? I was getting my emissions done and a Subaru was right in front of me. It was only a year old and it failed. My car (Geo Prizm) is 12 years old and it passes with flying colors (knocking on wood).
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.