Thread: Olympic Wrestler Survives Plane Crash into Lake Powell

Olympic Wrestler Survives Plane Crash into Lake Powell

This guy is like a cat....

Olympic Wrestler Survives Plane Crash into Lake Powell
    February 26th, 2007 @ 7:00am

John Daley Reporting

Olympic gold medalist Rulon Gardner heads to Boston today for a speaking engagement with a new story of survival to tell. He and two friends made it through a plane crash in Southern Utah over the weekend.

Rulon Gardner, Olympic gold medalist: "As soon as we sat down I said, 'Let's pray. Let's ask for strength because we can't do this by ourselves.' "

Rulon Gardner went from Star Valley in Wyoming to become one of the stars of the 2000 Olympics in Sydney. He fought off the Russian champion that day. Now he's got another amazing story to tell about fighting for survival.

Rulon Gardner: "I'm like, 'Hey, you gotta come help me.' There's no way I could make it there. I actually started going down and the water was coming in and I was saying, 'Hey this doesn't look good. There's a chance you may drown.'"

Gardner was in the passenger seat on a sightseeing tour around the Lake Powell area in his friend's small propeller plane. They were flying low near Good Hope Bay when the planet clipped the water.

Rulon Gardner: "We kind of came in and we skipped once and we hit a second time. And that's when it dug in. The propeller stopped and then it just spun us and we kind of went nose down in the water. As soon as we started spinning we said, 'Hey get your seat belts off and get out.'"

All three men survived and then swam for more than an hour in 44-degree water to reach the shore. One key to Rulon's survival, as the others swam ahead to shore, he did the backstroke.

Rulon Gardner: "Backstroke I could breath. No issues. I could kick with my feet if my arms got tired, and I just started kicking across the lake."

They spent the night in freezing temperatures with no fire or shelter. They were able to flag down a passing fisherman Sunday morning who took them to Bullfrog. None of the three had life-threatening injuries.

This is the latest in a string of amazing survival stories. In 2004 he was involved in a serious motorcycle accident when hit by a car. In 2002 he was stranded overnight in the Wyoming wilderness while snowmobiling and lost one of his toes to frostbite.

He says this time his toes are OK, and so is his spirit.

Rulon Gardner: "You know to hear that, I knew there was a lot of blessings to get to the shore. You know, it was so surreal. It was like this isn't happening to me."

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=929396

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Dang! I love Olympic Wrestlers!!!!! But mostly Mark Shultz! When I did Judo we use to get to fight with these guys. ~That was Heaven~!!!!

Glad he is okay!!!!!!!!

dang, that guy is in the wrong place at the wrong time alot. He must have 9 lives he has used 3 so far it sounds like. that is a cool story
    The man thong is wrong.

I heard about this on the news last night. Between snowmobiling accidents, and now plane crashes it really does seem like this guy has an angel watching over him.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

That's because wrestling is the last but dying true sport. Studs I say Studs.
    Though if I was flying that plane with that lead weight sitting beside me I would have been looking for altitude from the start. (0:

Quote Originally Posted by packfish
    That's because wrestling is the last but dying true sport. Studs I say Studs.
    Though if I was flying that plane with that lead weight sitting beside me I would have been looking for altitude from the start. (0:
    Funniest thing I have read all day, considering the plane went down because the pilot clipped the water. What the hell is he flying that low to the water anyhow?

Wow he is so lucky to still be alive he must have one hell of a will to live

Lucky