Thread: Buckskin Gulch - March 1

Buckskin Gulch - March 1

Hey all, it's 5 days until I drop in to Buckskin Gulch via Wire Pass for the solo trip all the way to Lees Ferry. I'm going to talk to the BLM guys before I go in, but the more info the better, as far as knowing what to expect goes.

Anyone know of anybody going through Buckskin in the last little while? Wondering how water is, temps, mud, etc.

The other thing - I'm considering just going to the middle exit trail the first day, climbing out, and staying the night up on the rim. Want to go visit Cobra Arch, then back down on the second day for the rest of Buckskin and into Paria. I thought it might be nice to spread it over 2 days. More time for taking photos... I figure a look at the sky on the morning of the second day would be adequate (after viewing the forecast on the first day) to learn of any flash flood danger. Sound reasonable?

One other question - a friend who's into boating suggested I take along a couple of flares - just in case. Anyone ever done this? Would anyone be near enough to see one, if there was need of it? I thought it sounded like a plausible idea, just not sure if it would be worthwhile.

Getting stoked...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Buckskin Gulch - March 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Hey all, it's 5 days until I drop in to Buckskin Gulch via Wire Pass for the solo trip all the way to Lees Ferry.
    wehoo awesome, have a good trip!

The other thing - I'm considering just going to the middle exit trail the first day, climbing out, and staying the night up on the rim. Want to go visit Cobra Arch, then back down on the second day for the rest of Buckskin and into Paria.
    just FYI, the route out is quite steep and slippery with sand. looking forward to the photos.

oh yeah, and you MUST swim in the colorado when you're done

that water is sooo damn cold right there, comin' out of the bottom of the reservoir

Re: Buckskin Gulch - March 1

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    wehoo awesome, have a good trip!
    Thanks!
    just FYI, the route out is quite steep and slippery with sand. looking forward to the photos.
    Yes, I've heard that the route is steep, and the BLM seems to refer to it as kind of an emergency exit. Of course, they have to cover their asses, for every noob who comes down the path. Kelsey, (and Shane, for that matter) on the other hand doesn't seem to think it's quite so bad. While I'm not so hardcore as all that, I figure I should be able to manage it.
    oh yeah, and you MUST swim in the colorado when you're done

that water is sooo damn cold right there, comin' out of the bottom of the reservoir
    Well, I will have my wetsuit with me... or is that cheating?

When we did it a few years back, we got a late start and still made it to the camp near the seeps without rushing. It's out of harm's (flooding) way and a decent little site. I'd camp there instead of hiking out the middle trail. YMMV. Buckskin is a blast. Have fun!