Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my 97' Jeep Cherokee Sport lift

my 97' Jeep Cherokee Sport lift

Yes, I have financial approval from 'purchasing and accounting' to lift the Jeep! COWABUNGA! I'm putting a 3.5" lift with the new Goodyear MTR's I just put on and if I have enough left over before Jeep Safari, Im putting a rear locker on as well. I'll post pics as soon as it's done

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Congrats! I know the feeling about getting an approval, been there, done that!

What Jeep do you have?

97' (XJ) Cherokee Sport...really, its been an awesome rig...not quite as low a range as Id like but never had any problems with it.

That's just awesome. I see alot of XJ's around and they do a pretty darn good job on the rocks.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    wel mine will go about anywhere NOW, I cant wait to see what kind of trouble I can get myself into!
    I have a 2000 XJ with a simular setup to what you are talking about. I does awsome in Moab. I have done most of the trails listed on the EJS.

Here is how mine is set up:

Rusty's Air intake with K&N filter
    3" Skyjacker Lift
    285 (32.5") Toyo Open Country M/T tires
    3.5" cat back with flowmaster muffler
    Custom rock sliders
    Safari Roof Rack
    4:10 Gears
    Detroit Locker (rear)

Congrats on the approval. My last big "approval" was my beemer last year. It is a damn nice feeling...time for another one.

a buddy of mine is gonna fab up some skid plates & stuff, at least that is what he says he's doing & we'll see if they make it on the rig by Moab - 4:10 gears, very good...the locker will be a must for the rear....stoked, yeah, that best describes it

Getting away from stock is always a good idea Who's lift ya going with?

a buddy of mine is gonna fab up some skid plates & stuff, at least that is what he says he's doing & we'll see if they make it on the rig by Moab - 4:10 gears, very good...the locker will be a must for the rear....stoked, yeah, that best describes it
    If you are going to change out the gears, I would go with 4:83 rather than 4:10. You won't be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahFire
    If you are going to change out the gears, I would go with 4:83 rather than 4:10. You won't be sorry.
    NOw thats a good idea! I'll check into it. I am used to my Dodge being geared so low that it drives itself so anything will help!

wel mine will go about anywhere NOW, I cant wait to see what kind of trouble I can get myself into!
    I have a 2000 XJ with a simular setup to what you are talking about. I does awsome in Moab. I have done most of the trails listed on the EJS.

Here is how mine is set up:

Rusty's Air intake with K&N filter
    3" Skyjacker Lift
    285 (32.5") Toyo Open Country M/T tires
    3.5" cat back with flowmaster muffler
    Custom rock sliders
    Safari Roof Rack
    4:10 Gears
    Detroit Locker (rear)

How about a pic showing the lift and custom rock sliders. I would love to see it. By the way I have a 90XJ and 83 CJ5.

Quote Originally Posted by MTpockets
    How about a pic showing the lift and custom rock sliders. I would love to see it. By the way I have a 90XJ and 83 CJ5.
    I will see if I can find one.

4.83?? Do you mean 4.88's

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    4.83?? Do you mean 4.88's
    Sorry, 4.88

My point is, I went with 4.10s on my XJ and it was not enough. Should have gone bigger. I have also herd to not bother changing gears if you are running the Dana 35 in the rear. Upgrade the diffs before you change the gears. The chrysler 8.25 is a pretty good diff and it came stock on later model XJs. I also understand that if you look hard you can find Dana 44s which will fit the XJ.

Quote Originally Posted by MTpockets
    Not the best pic but here is what I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I also understand that if you look hard you can find Dana 44s which will fit the XJ.
    Just find a Grand Waggy, rip the 44's out from under that add some brackets and you're all done Outside the Rubi's, there were some TJ's that came with the rear 44 as well as the XJ. Convert the rear to coils and wow, what a difference

You too can have a kit that allows this