Thread: Banff Mountain Film festival

Banff Mountain Film festival

anyone go to the Banff films last night at Kingsbury Hall?

what was your favorite? anyone going tonight?

iceberg climbing made me a nervous wreck

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I missed it
    I would have loved to see the ice berg one. I remember Alex Lowe climbing a berg back in the 90's. They seem to make a bigger deal about Gadd doing it...
    Pretty cool though!

Yeah I think we were literally on the edge of our seats for the Iceberg one. Those guys were nuts. I couldn't help but think that someone was going to die in the end by the way they were talking about the ice cracking so much, etc.. They knew how unstable they were and they just kept going back for more!

I was really fascinated by the couples' journey on the bikes from Mongolia to India. 5,000 miles is a HELL of a lot of miles to ride a bike loaded down with all the necessities you'd need for a trip like that. That was just awesome.

A film like that really puts your own life in perspective. It makes me want to plan something like that but on a much smaller scale, just because we can. I think it'd be fun to backpack camp on a 3 or 4 day mountain bike adventure, going from Salt Lake to Moab, or something like that. I dunno.

The other one I thought was really interesting was the one about the 16 hour ice/rock climb, and how they had to re-trace their steps going down the mountain in the pitch black. That also didn't seem like a very good idea to me

I loved the cycling one - the French couple that rode through Mongolia to India. What a journey and what a life lesson. Truly inspirational.

Not sure what I think about the Iceberg movie. "Dude that ice is seriously freakin' me out. It's cracking all the way across everytime I hit it. If I were doing this on regular ice, I'd be dead." A few seconds later.... "Dude, I gotta try it again".... and again and again and again. Either this is Darwinism at it's best or it really wasnt as stupid crazy as they made it out to be. (I'm guessing the former).
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

I went tonight. I wanted to kill that base jumper bitch.

All the other films were super cool.

http://www.kidswhorip.com That one was cool.

The climbing and biking ones were the best. It was cool to see some guys coming down the portal trail in Moab (which I rode on saturday).
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869

Curious... why?

I really loved the climbing one, with the Swiss climber, interesting story - cant believe he never made the climb! Definitely a surprise ending. And I was really really happy that the Mountain biking film turned out cool - my first thought was "ah, man, not another North Shore video" I think that's way overdone. It was very cool to just see them RIDE, fast. And the trials stuff was way cool.

A great film fest this year!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger

Curious... why?
    You're joking, right?

38 minutes of whining. 38 minutes of drama. Couldn't carry her own pack, "it was too hot, I didn't want to jump, I didn't like the jump, it's not everything I expected."

Oh, base jumping in africa is dangerous? Who would have thought?

"and the children . . . "

Shame on this "Outdoors" forum, only 5 people went to see the Banff films.

i love these festivals, they remind me of being a kid and watching surf films in high school auditoriums, the audience energy is amazing! that alone keeps me going. oh, and the films are always top notch

I went last night (Wednesday), too. I was really looking forward to the base jumping movie, but was disappointed. (Although, I may still be in love with Karina Hollekim. Hell, she skis for TGR and Dynastar). I thought the lamest part was when she landed the jump and everyone was running up to see if she was okay, and when they got there she had already changed out of her wingsuit and helmet, and put on Red Bull gear. Staaaaged.

The climbing movie about The Cobra was awesome, definitely the best or the night (if you don't count the trailer they showed at the beginning). The one about the soldiers learning to ski made my wife cry. (Although, she's pregnant, so making her cry is akin to shooting fish in a barrel).

After seeing that picture of Banff between films I really want to go up there now.

anyone know where to get the leggo film, or the name of the kid that made it? That was awesome.

Price

it was called "best of jo" of something like that... cant find a vidi link to it though

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger

Curious... why?
    You're joking, right?

38 minutes of whining. 38 minutes of drama. Couldn't carry her own pack, "it was too hot, I didn't want to jump, I didn't like the jump, it's not everything I expected."

Oh, base jumping in africa is dangerous? Who would have thought?

"and the children . . . "
    No.... I wasnt joking. Like I said, curious. What you saw didnt even register to me. I thought it was a pretty cool film. I did, however, chuckle when Kris pointed out how she had changed already after her landing. Good catch.

I loved the Kids Who Rip film, too. I'd love to show that to our students.

anyone know where to get the leggo film, or the name of the kid that made it? That was awesome.

Price
    The name of the film was "The Best of Jo" by Logan Carlstrom. He doesn't seem to have a website (or at least one that was easily findable).

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbiker View Post
    Yeah I think we were literally on the edge of our seats for the Iceberg one. Those guys were nuts. I couldn't help but think that someone was going to die in the end by the way they were talking about the ice cracking so much, etc.. They knew how unstable they were and they just kept going back for more!

I was really fascinated by the couples' journey on the bikes from Mongolia to India. 5,000 miles is a HELL of a lot of miles to ride a bike loaded down with all the necessities you'd need for a trip like that. That was just awesome.
    Asiemut! I saw it years ago & loved that film!

I've tried to order it on-line from the couple (they have a website) but I've never been able to get a copy. I think that's my favorite Banff film - that and the one about the Base Jumping girl who became paralyzed - really sad story but pretty amazing too.
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Oh and one other thing about "Asiemut" - a favorite line of mine (made me cry) is when the guy's wife was feeling down - and I think they must have both been hungry too for some real food at the time - he looks at her lovingly (wanting to assure her of how much he sympathizes with her & the difficulties of this wonderful journey they've embarked upon - it was her first time on a bike - yes, she learned to ride a bike & then take it on this incredible journey) and he said.....

[FONT=Verdana]get ready for it
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

http://www.banffcentre.ca/mountainfestival/worldtour/

It's supposed to be coming to Logan on February 17th and 18th.

I intend to be there.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...