Thread: Opinion: Zion National Park Ranger's

Bogley BigShot

Opinion: Zion National Park Ranger's

Where I am right now: Zion National Park, Utah

Why you should be here too: This time of year, Zion is a bit less crowded. The kids are in school, and some of the RVers don't like to take a chance that snow in the northern part of the state might keep them from getting back home. In addition, the shuttle system - a great idea, by the way, that keeps down the traffic along Zion Canyon Scenic Drive and the concomitant pollution, noise and chaos - is suspended Oct. 30-Mar. 31, which means you can drive to the Temple of Sinawava, gaping awestruck at the spectacular sandstone, with its red, pink, cream and beige cliffs and canyons.

Eat at these places: In nearby Springdale, The Bit & Spur Restaurant & Saloon (1212 Zion Park Blvd., Springdale, 435-772-3498, bitandspur.com) has been my favorite place to eat in the area since I first started visiting Zion eight years ago. An old cowboy watering hole since the '50s, which is where the place got its name, the Bit & Spur now is one of the best Mexican eateries ever, with a menu that runs the gamut from traditional to creative. I've ordered the appetizer stuffed jalape

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Opinion: Zion National Park Ranger's

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    "Do I want to spend $25 per vehicle for seven days or just go ahead and spring for the $50 annual national parks pass, thereby adding a drop in the bucket to the tragically underfunded parks system and saving on the $400 million in gas it's costing us over the long haul to sit there daily and wait in line?" This should be a no-brainer. The argument that it would be a hardship for folks to pay the other $25 is hard to swallow when you watch people pull up in SUV after SUV, or rental cars from Vegas that cost $45 a day. Please.

Is this making an argument against the National Parks Pass?
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    "Do I want to spend $25 per vehicle for seven days or just go ahead and spring for the $50 annual national parks pass, thereby adding a drop in the bucket to the tragically underfunded parks system and saving on the $400 million in gas it's costing us over the long haul to sit there daily and wait in line?" This should be a no-brainer. The argument that it would be a hardship for folks to pay the other $25 is hard to swallow when you watch people pull up in SUV after SUV, or rental cars from Vegas that cost $45 a day. Please.

Just the opposite - instead of people hemming and hawing over spending $25 or $50, just sell them the annual pass and be done with it. Save time in the line (I hate having to wait behind all those people who can't decide, too), and this person figures that people can afford it - i.e. look at how much they're willing to pay for gas and cars and stuff, so don't tell me they're not going to be willing to pay $50 to get in.

Bogley BigShot

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000

Just the opposite - instead of people hemming and hawing over spending $25 or $50, just sell them the annual pass and be done with it. Save time in the line (I hate having to wait behind all those people who can't decide, too), and this person figures that people can afford it - i.e. look at how much they're willing to pay for gas and cars and stuff, so don't tell me they're not going to be willing to pay $50 to get in.
    The author of the News article is a bit behind the times..... the pass is now $80, but its good for all Federal Lands. The lines ---- It's part the rangers fault and part the visitors fault... if they just pay their fee instead of asking directions and asking for camping and lodging info at the gate there would not be much of a line. I think there should be one booth open for those that have to pay and the other open for those that already have some sort of pass to go through and just have to flash it. No questions asked. Those types of questions should be asked at the VC and if the gate ranger directed people there instead of answering it would solve the problem. I never notice the lines since I go in and out before or after the traffic for hiking and stuff, but I do know it's a problem.

In the park, the Zion Lodge's Red Rock Grill (Zion Lodge, 435-772-7760, zionlodge.com) is delightful, with an upscale New American menu of dishes such as pan-seared tilapia in a chipotle soy sauce and Navajo eggplant breaded and fried in a tomatillo cream sauce. They also make a mean prime rib. And, of course, the views out the window of the park are magnificent, especially at sunset.
    Did you just feel the earth wobble on it's axis? That was Edward Abbey spinning in his grave.

The author of the News article is a bit behind the times..... the pass is now $80, but its good for all Federal Lands.
    I just bought my first "America The Beautiful National Parks Pass" (they couldn't have given it a longer name?) on Sunday. I was surprised it was so expensive, but I figure I have plenty of trips planned this year and I'll get my use out of it. I find it lame that you still have to pay for backcountry permits.

Bogley BigShot

Quote Originally Posted by kris247
    In the park, the Zion Lodge's Red Rock Grill (Zion Lodge, 435-772-7760, zionlodge.com) is delightful, with an upscale New American menu of dishes such as pan-seared tilapia in a chipotle soy sauce and Navajo eggplant breaded and fried in a tomatillo cream sauce. They also make a mean prime rib. And, of course, the views out the window of the park are magnificent, especially at sunset.
    Did you just feel the earth wobble on it's access? That was Edward Abbey spinning in his grave.

The author of the News article is a bit behind the times..... the pass is now $80, but its good for all Federal Lands.
    I just bought my first "America The Beautiful National Parks Pass" (they couldn't have given it a longer name?) on Sunday. I was surprised it was so expensive, but I figure I have plenty of trips planned this year and I'll get my use out of it. I find it lame that you still have to pay for backcountry permits.
    The name is annoying Oh no.... here comes the permit thing. Shhhhhh... or Ice will get started.

My National Parks pass expires this month. I probably won't renew it until I get back in the fall, but I plan to. I have really enjoyed having it.

I wasn't sure if the guy was first saying that we should just pay the 25 bucks every time (because the Government would get a lot more money from me if I paid every time) or if he was saying spend a little extra. I figure even if I don't go the 6 times it takes to pay for it, it is still a good cause.

Bogley BigShot
    My National Parks pass expires this month. I probably won't renew it until I get back in the fall, but I plan to. I have really enjoyed having it.

I wasn't sure if the guy was first saying that we should just pay the 25 bucks every time (because the Government would get a lot more money from me if I paid every time) or if he was saying spend a little extra. I figure even if I don't go the 6 times it takes to pay for it, it is still a good cause.
    I think the pass is a good deal even at $80. I don't have to pay to get in Zion, but I do for Bryce and Grand Canyon which I go to a lot .... so I just buy one. Whatever park you buy the pass in they keep 80% of the money for that park.

I've got to buy the pass for my wife, even though I'm entitled to the "senior citizen lifetime achievment pass". I was told by a ranger that when you buy the yearly pass at Zion most of the money goes to fund the shuttle.

I don't really have a problem buying the pass, I'm in a National Park almost once a week and really appreciate the job they do.

I don't think I'm eating at the Zion Lodge anytime soon.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Win
    I've got to buy the pass for my wife, even though I'm entitled to the "senior citizen lifetime achievment pass". I was told by a ranger that when you buy the yearly pass at Zion most of the money goes to fund the shuttle.

I don't really have a problem buying the pass, I'm in a National Park almost once a week and really appreciate the job they do.

I don't think I'm eating at the Zion Lodge anytime soon.

Win

You look FAR FAR FAR too young for that!

i always get the cheap rentals in vegas. never more than $15/day. leaves more $ for essentials. and i always try to enter and leave the park after the ranger station closes. saves a bundle.

Whatever park you buy the pass in they keep 80% of the money for that park.[/color]
    I didn't know that. Now I need to make sure I buy it in Utah every time (I did buy it at Arches last year, but I had no idea so much of the money would stay there).