Thread: Really cool snowshoeing destinations

Really cool snowshoeing destinations

I have been running around South Eastern Utah competing adventure races since Dec 26th. I am now itching to dust off the snow shoes before it all melts.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good destination with minimal Avalanche danger?
    I'm not lost... I'm just GeoCaching

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lake Blanche is a must if you haven't been. Let me know if you need any coordinates or information on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I was just thinking about hitting Lake Blanche this weekend. I'm dying to get up into the mountains. Do you know what the trail is like right now? Clear? Need 'shoes? (Of course, we're supposed to get a storm on Friday that will change everything...again).

I was there on Saturday. The first half or so was packed down (and did not require shoes) but the last half they did come in handy. I bought snowshoes last year and decided that when I go hiking in the winter, I would bring my snowshoes (so I can get my money's worth). I would have done this same hike a year ago without shoes and been fine but they were nice for Saturday.

P.S. I also went to Donut Falls on Saturday. It was completely covered in snow and I couldn't see the "Donut". I was kind of disappointed.

I'd love to snow shoe to Lake Blanche. Whats the Avalanche risk for that area. I would think It would be considerable. If anyone is planning a trip soon let me know.
    Life's to short to short to spend indoors

Check www.avalanche.org before you go, whenever you go, here is today's avalanche report,
    An AVALANCHE WARNING remains in affect for the mountains of Utah. Recent winds with more snow on the way is contributing to a HIGH avalanche danger. People without expert level avalanche assessment and route finding skills should stay out of the backcountry today and through the weekend. Slopes of 30 degrees in steepness or greater especially on north through southeast facing aspects should be avoided. Stay out from underneath these steep slopes as well since the avalanches will be getting bigger and running farther.

Forecaster: Brett Kobernik