Thread: The Crypt and Bear Claw Panel

The Crypt and Bear Claw Panel

A friend and I snuck away on President's Day. I had visited The Crypt about 3 years ago and was anxious to see what remained after several big monsoon seasons. The stone box around The Crypt has lost several major stones but it is still possible to identify the burial box. We left the bones in situ even though it is likely that others have handled them. It was very interesting looking into an actual underground burial site from grave level. I've included several phots of the scene so you could get a feel for the location of the burial.

Up the canyon from The Crypt is a wonderful petroglyph panel featuring many bear claws and a few cute baby-sized feet.

A large knoll stands at the head of the canyon and contains a ruin where the rock foundation has fallen away near the door (see picture). This knoll contained many ruins including a large series of rooms on the very top (no complete walls) from which the occupants could watch 4 different canyons.

Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    The gostak distims the doshes.

2. Likes oldno7 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

very cool.

lots and lots and lots of cool stuff in san juan county for the adventurous to see. and unlike mere hiking or canyoning routes, truly sensitive and deserving of secrecy and closely monitored doling out. how does the blm monitor this site ? i can't imagine they leave it untended if they are aware of it. anasazi bones could fetch a good price from collectors i bet. the olla we found got the blm right out, i am surprised these bones aren't at edge of the cedars as well.

i alwaya wanted to find bones when i was out. but i wanted to find the bones of the last unaccounted for water truck gunman, the one still open for reward.
    signature

All of this stuff is on private property and so, I guess, the BLM doesn't do anything. I expect the whole burial to be gone in a couple of years given its current state of decay. We talked about whether it would be appropriate/legal/whatever to rebury what was left in another place where they wouldn't be disturbed.

An interesting side note - I went to school with one of the "water truck gunmen". He was the second one found. I've got a friend in law enforcement who had pictures of his body and his stash of weapons, clothes, and other gear. What a sad way to spend your last hours on earth.

Bogley BigShot
    Great Stuff!!!

Another petroglyph I forgot to post. Did the Anasazi have something to do with Dharma?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    All of this stuff is on private property and so, I guess, the BLM doesn't do anything. I expect the whole burial to be gone in a couple of years given its current state of decay. We talked about whether it would be appropriate/legal/whatever to rebury what was left in another place where they wouldn't be disturbed..
    i heard that there is lots of stuff just under teh surface all throughout san juan county. a friend was visiting one of their friends in blanding when their dog came running up w/ a foot in its mouth. a very long dead one. evidently that and all sorts of other artifacts are not uncommon when tilling or building.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    An interesting side note - I went to school with one of the "water truck gunmen". He was the second one found. I've got a friend in law enforcement who had pictures of his body and his stash of weapons, clothes, and other gear. What a sad way to spend your last hours on earth.
    we moved to bluff the year after that. it was still a big deal. they abviously had some bigger plan in mind. good thing the damage they did was not greater.
    signature

Wow, very interesting. I'm guessing this is a "non published" site - not well known due to secrecy. I'm surprised that the bones are still there, whoever owns the property (I assume you know them?) is obviously very respectful. Any idea the story? What happened? Is this just a typical burial site? Bear attack? Fun to ponder.

That last petroglyph is really cool - very cosmic, I am so curious what it means!!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

This is very cool. I just found a lot of VERY old native american artifacts. From what I've gathered (I'm no expert) they are probably older than 10,000 years. Seeing this kind of things still around in Utah gives me such a feeling of pride in the place I live, and also shame for our ancestors being the cause of these people's demise. Amazing TR.

I'm unfamiliar with the "water truck gunmen." Anyone have a link for me to read up on it?

Awesome post by the way!

15. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha View Post
    Awesome story. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-wild View Post
    Also shame for our ancestors being the cause of these people's demise.
    Learn yourself some history before you make such unfounded and ridiculous claims! Utah ancestral people are the absolute least to blame for the 'demise' of Native American culture.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha View Post
    What a crazy story - I never knew the history of that or that even took place.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"