Thread: Wind Rivers

Wind Rivers

I know a few of you guys have been up there backpacking. I was wondering how you get your information on trails and such. i have a buddy that wants to go up there this summer for a week. He has horses, so we could probably extend greater distances than we could with backpacks. I am interested in trails that have good fishings locations along the way in which we could stop and camp. Does the Forest service publish maps that have trails info on them? Any info would be awesome

Thanks,

Reed

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Whats up Reedus, we've already talked about a few of my trips to the Winds but here is what I know. A really good set of maps are made by Earthwalk Press. You have to buy two maps, one for the north end of the range, one for the south, but they are 1:50000 scale, so they really are the only map you need for hiking (unless you want to come in from the Indian reservation side, they are missing parts of that). You can get these at most any outdoor store in the valley.

The best guidebook for the range is Joe Kelsey's Climbing and Hiking the Wind River Mountains. It is packed with TONS of info. It is mainly a climbing guide to the range, but has more than enough info to justify using it for hiking. It covers pretty much every trail and then some, gives routes to nearly every peak in the range, and is set up so you can pick a route, then just look up each trail segment in his book for a description of what to expect. Here is a link to what it looks like:

http://www.amazon.com/Climbing-Hikin.../dp/0934641706

Falcon has a guidebook to that is decent, but doesn't cover as many trails as Kelsey's guide, and if you want to summit some of the peaks then good luck using the Falcon guide.

The winds are great and the scenery is best the closer you get to the main crest of the range. The classics are Green River Lakes (many fine week long trips can be made from there), Titcomb Basin (one of the most beautiful places I've ever laid my eyes on... but somewhat crowded by backpacking standards), the Cirque of the Towers (best if you want to do some rock climbing), and Gannett Peak, the tallest peak in Wyoming. There are multiple routes up Gannett and all are at least somewhat technical requiring glacier travel and ropework.

If you are up for adventure, I'd hit up Gannett. If you want amazing scenery then hit up Titcomb or the Cirque (you can climb Gannet from Titcomb Basin). If you want a more chill trip without a lot of elevation gain and stream fishing possibilities plus awesome scenery then wander around Green River Lakes. If you want solitude then go anywhere except the Cirque of the Towers, Titcomb Basin, or Green River Lakes.

I've found that the end of August is the best time to go. Early July there was still a lot of snow and it was cold. Late July the mosquito's were horrendous! Late August, it was cold at night but no mosquito's, which was like being in heaven after the trip before. Hope that helps.

Eric.

P.S. Here is a link to a loop I did, amazing scenery, solitude, and awesome fishing. This would be a perfect trip for what you want, except I don't know how easily you could get horses over the passes (Probably couldn't over Hailey Pass, maybe could get them over Washaki Pass?)

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2005/...mountains.html

Contact the Wyoming Fish and Game- there are some biologists that you can email that have been very helpful to me locating the larger Golden trout lakes. Also the best book out for fishing the Winds is:
    Flyfishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry" by Rich Osthoff.
    Here are some pictures to get you motivated.
    http://home.utah.edu/~grw1/index-old.html

You prolly saw these, but in the trip report index you can see pictures and get info from our last two WR trips. http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712

I heard the fishing up there is next to perfect!

DANG chicken! Nice fishies

Here is some more contact info.

Wind River Contact Information, Wyoming Fish and Game-307-367-4352

Pinedale Ranger District
    29 East Fremont Lake Rd.
    P.O. Box 220
    Pinedale, WY 82941
    United States of America
    (307) 367-4326
    (307) 367-5750

or you can try Bubba Hailey at his home number (307) 367-4704
    He is the local officer and was very helpful when I talked to him.

nice lake trout! also big sandy creek has good fishing. we used to catch grasshoppers along the bank and toss them in the creek to feed the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by chabidiah
    DANG chicken! Nice fishies
    You better believe it brutha...