Thread: Family Tent

Family Tent

I am looking to get a new family size tent. I am not real particular on which brand I get but I want a 3- season 4-man+. I want something with a good rain fly and something that could be packable( for a short distance). I don't want to spend more than $300 and the lower the better as long as it is quality. Any info welcome , thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

link
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat20077_feat

that should be big enough, you may need a pack mule too.
    The man thong is wrong.

With the new baby I am in the market for a new tent as well. I have so many tents already I may just grab a 4 man tent from walmart or one of these ... I have had a few kelty tents with no issues at all. 12lbs is pretty heavy but for 100 bucks who cares

Link

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    With the new baby I am in the market for a new tent as well. I have so many tents already I may just grab a 4 man tent from walmart or one of these ... I have had a few kelty tents with no issues at all. 12lbs is pretty heavy but for 100 bucks who cares

Link
    I have to agree. I have about 6 or 8 tents of all sizes and I hit Walmart just to check their closeouts in sporting goods...they clear out tents all the time and I have a few I havent even opened yet just for backup that are 6 to 8 man and got em for under $100. A good tent is great to have but dont wait for 'the best thing out there' you could spend ALOT more than you need to. Coleman tents are just fine for nearly everything...and I get em big so I can put ALL my gear inside, including the bikes.

Outside magazine just released the product guide for 2007, they have a tone of tents in there and about everything you need, some pricey and also some good deals. You should also try recreational outlet, I was just in there and they had some great deals on tents.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I love my kelty orb 2, it is a four season tent, and not too bad to pack. I have had no issues with it at all. I think they run a little steep, around $350-$400. I picked mine up on ebay for $85 brand spankin new.

Re: Family Tent

Quote Originally Posted by chabidiah
    I am looking to get a new family size tent. I am not real particular on which brand I get but I want a 3- season 4-man+. I want something with a good rain fly and something that could be packable( for a short distance). I don't want to spend more than $300 and the lower the better as long as it is quality. Any info welcome , thanks.
    For some reason I am having a hard time with the phrase "family tent 4+man and Packable." I gave up on the "packable" thing and got a Cabellas Outfitters Series XWT 12'X12'. It's about 70 lbs so I pack it about 30 feet max from my truck. But it fits the family and I could winter in it if I had to.

If I ever want to take my family back packing then I will get a couple of 2-3 man back packing tents and split up.

Another option is a tarp. There are some pretty good one's out there that are light and compact.
    Life is Good

I guess i should have put that i would only want to pack it a short distance in bold. I have been looking at some of the cabelas tents but i want something small enough that I cold set it up in a small tent site. I have had a huge cabin tent before but that was the problem, i could only set it up if I cleared the forest first. I am leaning towards a smaller dome tent from cabelas.

my buddy has the Alaskan Guide Model and loves it. It is not to large. The thing that makes mine a bit big is the fly. The vestibule is big enough to change in (as we did after a wet slot canyon over christmas break.) I didn't mean to be too much of a smart alec. It sounds like you are like me. Pack it a REAL short distance (along with a stove and perhaps a dutch oven)
    Life is Good

I just wanted to mention I really like REI basecamp tent. For our style of family camping we like the Uintas where it can rain anytime for long periods of time, so for us things like a good rainfly make it so we don't have to pack up and go home in the rain. My sister has always went with the walmart-coleman style tent and it seems she buys a new tent every few years. I have had my tent three plus years. We have the 6 man which gives us plenty of room. Also with the REI tent you can often find them on sale or cheaper with a coupon.

Hope if helps.

BTW is there a spellcheck funtion for posting on these forums? (newbie here)

Quote Originally Posted by wader
    BTW is there a spellcheck funtion for posting on these forums? (newbie here)
    First of all, welcome to the forum! You should make an official intro in the Newbies section, tell us about yourself!

And then, the spell checker. You should browse with Firefox. It's got a built in spell checker. (Irony; spellchecker is not a word. It is spell checker. )

The board has a spell checker too. Just below the post box window...

I think I have found a good tent, has anyone seen this one in action?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

e bought two new tents in order to accommodate our now 2 year old and a continued active lifestyle.

Last year, we got the REI Camp Done 2. This we used for backpacking trips. It is just over 5 lbs. and fits three of us very well. Weight was important to me, so there isn't a ton of space. If your family may grow this one won't work. The first time we camped with our daughter, we had to "Ergo" her to sleep, walk around with her in our child carrier until she fell asleep and then we transfered her to the tent. The next 2-3 times, she was able to go in the tent on her own after her bedtime routine and fall asleep on her own. We joined her at our bedtime, moving her to down by our feet. Not expensive was also important since I already had a couple of other tents. Other than that we just wanted two doors.

This year we bought the Mountain Hardwear Habitat 3 specifically for car camping trips. It's super roomy and we can almost stand in it. But at 8+ lbs, we aren't carrying this up and over mountains, at least not while I am carrying our kid. I've set it up in our living room so far, but will use it for the first time camping this first weekend in June. PM me if you want to know how it

Hope this helps. I've always been a bit of a minimalist when it comes to backpacking.Good Luck.

16. Likes accadacca, rockgremlin liked this post