Thread: Avalanche in Utah mountains kills man

Avalanche in Utah mountains kills man

Avalanche in Utah mountains kills man

SALT LAKE CITY - A man died after being caught in an avalanche Saturday while snowmobiling near Tower Mountain in the Wasatch-Cache National Forest, authorities said.

The man was with at least three people but was the only one caught in the slide, according to the Wasatch County Sheriff's Office.

His friends dug through the snow looking for him, first finding his snowmobile and then his body. They administered CPR and called for help, police said.

The man was flown to the University of Utah Hospital, where he later died, police said.

Authorities have not released his identity.

The Utah Avalanche Center had listed the avalanche danger for Saturday as "considerable," according to its Web site. "Considerable means human triggered slides are probable and natural avalanches possible," the forecast states.

Tower Mountain is about 15 miles southeast of Heber City in the Uinta Mountains.

In Montana, authorities were searching for two snowmobilers who were reported missing Saturday after an avalanche in the Big Belt Mountains.

The slide in the Mount Baldy area northwest of Townsend missed a third person, but his snowmobile got stuck. He had to walk part of the way back to town and was not able to call for help for hours, Lewis and Clark County Sheriff Cheryl Liedle said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070218/...ZY9FcXiNxI2ocA
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's always a shame with the loss of life and being taken before your time.

Yeah. I especially hate to see people how are out enjoying the outdoors die. They really seem to appreciate life (in my mind) so it is a shame that they should lose it.

I'm not trying to start an off topic debate, but part of what I find so sad about suicide is that they choose to die, when so many want to live.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    I'm not trying to start an off topic debate, but part of what I find so sad about suicide
    Wow, that was from left field

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Wow, that was from left field
    Yeah you're right. I have been thinking a lot about death lately (with the passing of my friend 2 weeks ago). He wanted to live and couldn't and that made me think about all the people who can live and chose not to.

I'm sorry to be gloomy. I literally did not sleep at all last night. I have been throwing up a lot and I'm really tired.

I literally did not sleep at all last night. I have been throwing up a lot and I'm really tired.
    Me either (No throwing up though, hope ya feel better) Start this in another topic

We should start a thread to see how sad we can make it.... never mind I think I'm already doing a pretty good job.

We should start a thread to see how sad we can make it.... never mind I think I'm already doing a pretty good job.
    That's why it needs a new thread

From the Utah Avalanche Center website (below). Photo's on that site are worth a gander. Scary.

Sometimes I think the avy rating "considerable" is scarier than "high". You don't get the natural avy's to remind you to be careful.

This bad snowpack isn't going away any time soon. Lets pay attention out there.

-Brian in SLC

UAC:
    I

It was a 16 year old kid who died and his name was Zack Holmes. He lived in my ward in Farr West and he just spoke in church last week. I feel so bad because he was such and great kid and was always so happy

Quote Originally Posted by shanehadman
    It was a 16 year old kid who died and his name was Zack Holmes. He lived in my ward in Farr West and he just spoke in church last week. I feel so bad because he was such and great kid and was always so happy
    I'm so sorry to hear you knew him. That really does make it a lot worse. My best wishes really do go out to those who knew him.

This is such a sad deal. I just don't get it when the avalanche warnings are out there and it is extreme that people head to the slops that can kill. People would call me foolish (and I would be) if I went into a slot canyon with a high flash flood potential, a current flash flood warnings and dark rain clouds above me. What a waste of life. There is always one risk that is difficult to manage and that is Mother Nature. All the beacons, probes, shovels etc, etc. only help in locating the body most of the time. Here I go acting old again.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I just don't get it when the avalanche warnings are out there and it is extreme that people head to the slops that can kill.
    Its like Drew of the UAC said last night on the news, "we've met the enemy, and its us".

Known risk. Ignored. Crazy game of russian roulette folks play.

I typically ski on high or considerable hazard days. But, I watch my slope angles, pay attention to aspect, etc.

Group dynamics, rescue gear all can mean a false sence of security. Combine that up with a beauty day, and, there ya go. Predictable.

Photo's on the UAC site of the slide were pretty interesting. Doesn't look that impressive or scary a place.

This crappy snowpack ain't goin' anywhere. Be careful out there.

-Brian in SLC

I think the problem with most people (myself included) is you don't think it is going to happen to you. I think every time we do anything dangerous, we know it is risky but we don't really think we are risking our lives.

People think that they can out run the avalanche on their snowmobile, but there is no way that is possible.......People just got to be smart

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I just don't get it when the avalanche warnings are out there and it is extreme that people head to the slops that can kill.
    I think that most people only get outdoors a few times each season. With it being a holiday weekend, all those people that spent 10g's on sleds dont want to cancel their plans due to some silly avalanche danager. Sad that this becomes a fatal mistake.

They don't have to cancel plans, just don't go up on those high degree slopes where there is bound to be an avalanche due to all the heavy snow that has fallen on top of the lighter stuff. I don't get why people take such BLATANT risks when the warnings are coming from everywhere about the high danger of avalanches