Thread: Canyoneering Helmets?

Canyoneering Helmets?

Planning on getting a helmet, so which one to get?

Obviously looking for something cheaper....I saw the REI
    Petzl Elios Climbing Helmet
    $65.95 Item 684720

http://tinyurl.com/2488ms

Is that the best bang for the buck?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Petzl does make good helmets.

Backcountry is having a sale right now. Since they are local you can just go pick it up and you don't have to pay shipping. I'm supportive of BD but here are a couple helmets that are less expensive.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/BLD...me-Helmet.html

http://www.backcountry.com/store/CMP...ng-Helmet.html

You can just head out there and try them on to see what you like if you want.

Hey! Thanks for the links, I might just do that.

My wife had a BD half dome for a few years. She didn't really like it at all. The straps were a pain to adjust. I've always had petzl, first the ecrin roc, and now use the Elios and love it.

On the other hand, my sister uses BD and likes hers. I think she likes it mostly because she got it for cheap. But the straps on hers are a pain too.

I have heard that the straps can be pain on the half dome too. I think the main thing with a helmet is to try it on and shake your head around some. You want it to fit and feel good. The more comfortable it is, the more likely you are to wear it.

Don't go too cheap, I bought a cheap helmet for like $40, and now I curse it every time I wear it, it's so uncomfortable I'll probably break down and buy something better. If you are using it for Canyoneering, remember you are wearing it for a lot of the day, if it's a little annoying to wear in the store, it will be a lot annoying after a few hours of wearing it in a canyon. Would have saved me money to just buy a nicer one the first time.

Eric.

Hey... I wear the old school "Joe Brown" and I love it. Also, everyone knows a guy wearing an old school helmet has been around the block a few times and has his stuff together.

The Red M&M

Anyhoo.... because of this thread I was cruisin' the web looking at helmets and discovered this sweet little baby. I might have to drop some coin and pick one up.

HB Dyneema
    $100, 13 ounces
    Summary: For those who can

Re: Helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    Planning on getting a helmet, so which one to get?

Obviously looking for something cheaper....I saw the REI
    Petzl Elios Climbing Helmet
    $65.95 Item 684720

http://tinyurl.com/2488ms

Is that the best bang for the buck?
    I would say get the Petzl Elios (Size 2) in Orange. It is light, somewhat adjustable and fairly comfortable. I have White and it does not look as sharp as the orange does in pictures. See Jumar's pic.

Yeah I'm a fan of the orange helmet.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Brain buckets

Different helmets will fit different heads differently, so it is a good idea to try them on before buying. I personally like the BD Tracer, but it is kinda pricey. The Petzl helmets went up 5$ on the new year.

BD re-designed the Half Dome for this spring. I expect the new ones might have addressed the strap adjusting problem and are probably nicer - but that also means there might be some discounted ones at the BD store in SLC.

Tom

Well I went to REI and tried all kinds of helmets. I ended up buying this one:

It fit my head the best and I can use it for whitewater as well. Any pros/cons on this one? I paid $80 for it.

I like their crampons
    But never used any of their other gear.

From this day forward you will be known as the Yellow M&M

That was another reason I wanted that one... to be different

You cant argue with the classics. The Petzl Ecrin is the best helmet i have ever purchased... Trust me I know, I wear a helmet every day and I ride the short bus.