Thread: Wetsuit/ Drysuit season in Zion?

Wetsuit/ Drysuit season in Zion?

When does the Wetsuit/ Drysuit season start in Zion slots. I know it depends on a lot of factors but just a general idea of when.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot

Re: Wetsuit/ Drysuit season in Zion?

Quote Originally Posted by chabidiah
    When does the Wetsuit/ Drysuit season start in Zion slots. I know it depends on a lot of factors but just a general idea of when.
    For many of the slots its wet/drysuit season year-round. What slots do you have in mind? Some like the Subway of course are seasonal.

Generally, May is when the season gets rolling in Zion. It mainly depends on when the snow up high melts and when they open the narrows. I know people have done winter descents of canyons like Pine Creek and Echo, but it's a whole different ball game with snow and ice in the mix. Kolob, Imlay, and Heaps are best saved for high summer, preferably before the Monsoon really starts to kick in. Keep watching this site, once people start heading down there they will post TR's with what conditions were like.

Eric.

I think wetsuit season is year round in Zion. I did Keyhole canyon in July a few years ago, and the water was FRIGID COLD!!!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I have used both in Zion but I guess I was meaning to ask is when does it change from needing a drysuit to comfortably using a wetsuit. And I am looking at Mystery in May if I Draw out.

Quote Originally Posted by chabidiah
    I have used both in Zion but I guess I was meaning to ask is when does it change from needing a drysuit to comfortably using a wetsuit. And I am looking at Mystery in May if I Draw out.
    I never use a dry or wet suit in Mystery. It only has two pools and both are really short (less then 20'). Its easier to just blast the pools and then toss on a fleece. And now I hear the pools are mostly filled with sand so you might only do a little wading.

As for Mystery in May its the run-off in the Virgin that usually stops you from getting a permit.

Good to know! Thanks. Has anyone done Imlay? I have heard that it is a great one. I dont know much about it but I have read a little in these forums. Could my wife make it. She has goo rope skills and is in tip top shape but she is a little nervous about some of the more remote canyons.

Has anyone done Imlay? I have heard that it is a great one. I dont know much about it but I have read a little in these forums. Could my wife make it. She has goo rope skills and is in tip top shape but she is a little nervous about some of the more remote canyons.
    I did Imlay last summer. When I did it there was a lot of water and the most of the potholes were not too difficult to get out of. If the water level is lower and you aren't prepared you could be in big trouble. There is a good description of Imlay here. http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/imlayheaps.htm

Imlay and Heaps are a BIG step up from all other Zion canyons.

Tom's intro mentioned above is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Imlay and Heaps are a BIG step up from all other Zion canyons.

Tom's intro mentioned above is spot on.

What he said. As for Mystery, I have never worn a wet suit in there either. A couple of years ago, the big snow/flood winter, Mystery Springs was filled in with sand and so was the next little drop. I have swam in both before but my last time through everything was knee deep at best. That was two years ago. I am sure the spring has cleaned out a bit but still a wet suit is not necessary in my little 'ole opinion.

As far as other canyons, I have done Subway with wet suits and not with wet suits. The rule for me is pack weight vs. air temps vs. length of exposure vs. comfort. I have never experienced warm water in any of the true slots in Zion. Even those first two swims in the Subway will take your breath away year around.
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

You say to-may-to, I say to-ma-to

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Generally, May is when the season gets rolling in Zion. It mainly depends on when the snow up high melts and when they open the narrows. I know people have done winter descents of canyons like Pine Creek and Echo, but it's a whole different ball game with snow and ice in the mix. Kolob, Imlay, and Heaps are best saved for high summer, preferably before the Monsoon really starts to kick in. Keep watching this site, once people start heading down there they will post TR's with what conditions were like.

Eric.
    The winter season can be good, and ends about April 1st. The Summer season is the best, and starts about June 1st. Inbetween is Spring, when Zion is less compatible with humans. Snowmelt, overhanging melting ice, mud, high water in the Virgin, variable weather - all make Spring better spent elsewhere in Utah, where conditions are ideal.

Tom

I should have posted my question a little earlier. I have already put in the draw for the end of May. But its darn near June 1rst.