Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom's Canyon Festivals

Tom's Canyon Festivals

Anyone looking for canyoneering partners and/or to network with others in the canyon community should consider attending a Tom's Canyon Festival, they are always a bunch of fun. Three trips currently are available for sign up.

You can read more and sign up at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TomsCanyonFestivals

Here are the trips currently open:

April 16-20, 2007 Ski Bum Fest
    May 2-7, 2007 Swell/Roost Fest
    May 25-28, 2007 - Monterey Mexico

Here is the general jist of a Tom Fest:

Tom's Canyon Festivals are a chance for a diverse group of canyoneers to get together, enjoy canyons, meet new people and generally have a good time.

Canyoneers of ALL ability levels are invited. TCF's are informal gatherings, however, trips are hosted and NOT guided. Those with intermediate to advanced skills tend to have the best time. Participants are responsible for their own safety.

Local Canyoneers who have attended two TCF's as a participant are welcome to continue attending Fests as a host.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I just signed up for the Zion Fest in June. Anyone wanna (please) assist me in my personal goal to knock out Heaps this year?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

rock, I see you signed up for June 22nd and not 20th? Was that a mistake or intentional? I will gladly join you on your quest!

Anyone planning on going to Mexico? Hike2Kolob, I saw that you signed up, it will be good to do some canyons with you again! Anyone else?

Pic's of mexico canyons:
    http://www.crystalcanyons.net/Pages/...xicoRV_TR.shtm
    http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0505mexico/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    I just signed up for the Zion Fest in June. Anyone wanna (please) assist me in my personal goal to knock out Heaps this year?
    As a general rule I've noticed Tom Fest's are not the ideal time to Knock off a big boy like Heaps. It probably defeats one of the main purposes of a Tom fest which is to intermingle and network. Tom fest's are a great place to meet a future partner for a Heaps trip.

Personally I have found Tom fest's to be most enjoyable when you schedule a manageable day with time for socializing in the evening.

Anyhoo..... that is just my 2 cents worth..... YMMV.

You know, it's funny. Heaps is one of those canyons that those who have done it will rave about, but then when you ask them to accompany you on a return trip, they get all pale and start to stutter and scramble for excuses.

You know, it's funny. Heaps is one of those canyons that those who have done it will rave about, but then when you ask them to accompany you on a return trip, they get all pale and start to stutter and scramble for excuses.
    I love Heaps..... I hate the big wall finish. It scares the snot out of me.

The finish to Heaps requires big wall rope skills that many canyoneers (myself included) don't feel real comfortable with.

It's also has other issues, like do you have a 300' rope? Are you (meaning RockGremlin) going to carry the 300' rope? Long shuttle required, at least a two day window of perfect weather required.... yada, yada....

I think if the finish was more Imlay or Mystery like to would be a lot more popular route.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Are you (meaning RockGremlin) going to carry the 300' rope?
    Nope, I'm gonna get The Emporer to do it!

Heaps is also a major goal of mine, RG, although I'm looking at somewhere around the time of the Escalante TCF in September. Maybe we should link up and get Tom in a pushing circle until he relents and agrees to be "Prior Heaps-er". I'd happily rope mule 600' for that opportunity

I'm going. Can't wait looks like a blast. As far as Heaps goes, a few of us are planning on getting in there a couple of times again this year. When we finalize pland I'll post an invite.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Anyone planning on going to Mexico? Hike2Kolob, I saw that you signed up, it will be good to do some canyons with you again! Anyone else?

Pic's of mexico canyons:

It's definately a big finish but I've found that having experience in big walls really helps. I've done almost all of the Zion big wall trade routes and i was actually a little dissapointed with the Heaps exit. I'd heard so much about it, but it really wasn't that bad. Airy for sure, but just another long rappell. I think the mid wall rap in the first part of Imlay offers more thrill. I love those mid wall stations.

I love Heaps..... I hate the big wall finish. It scares the snot out of me.

The finish to Heaps requires big wall rope skills that many canyoneers (myself included) don't feel real comfortable with.

It's also has other issues, like do you have a 300' rope? Are you (meaning RockGremlin) going to carry the 300' rope? Long shuttle required, at least a two day window of perfect weather required.... yada, yada....

I think if the finish was more Imlay or Mystery like to would be a lot more popular route.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125

Pic's of mexico canyons:
    I am very stoked for this trip and the pictures only make me more excited. I look forward to doing a few canyons with you again Eric.

The seasons are a changin' and it is time to get out to the canyons again.

I also have a serious interest to do Heaps this year at some point, but admittedly most of my big canyon experience was with the Emperor dragging my arse through the canyons of Zion (Englestead, Imlay, Kolob and others). But for what it's worth, I officially throw my hat into the ring.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Ah, a very patient man...

You'll be waiting a long time for that to happen.

T

Re: Ah, a very patient man...

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    You'll be waiting a long time for that to happen.

T
    Damn...

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    rock, I see you signed up for June 22nd and not 20th? Was that a mistake or intentional? I will gladly join you on your quest!
    I see you joined up too! Dan signed up as well. I'm considering just biting the bullet and coming for the entire fest, as opposed to just the weekend. That way I can get in a bunch of Zion canyons that I haven't done yet.

I'm stoked!

Ya I signed up since you are coming, at least I'd know someone there. But reading about Heaps I am getting the shakes....

Ya I signed up since you are coming, at least I'd know someone there. But reading about Heaps I am getting the shakes....
    Ahhhh, you worry too much. Just wear that new helmet of yours, you'll be fine.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Heaps a ...

You don't HAVE to do Heaps to attend the Fest.

Hmmm, on the other hand, it WOULD keep the riff-raff out...

Tom

riff raff?

Me don't speak Englis well

Re: Heaps a ...

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Hmmm, on the other hand, it WOULD keep the riff-raff out...