Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dodge tried to kill me!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Update:
    I looked up that truck, there are issues with the front axle and shifting into 4wd, and they all sprout from one point: Shift on the fly is inherently faulty compared to the old manual locking hubs.

There's issues with the auto hubs, the vacuum lines and the switch that engages the shift fork, and something called a vacuum CAD motor. The popular fix is something called a Posi Lock which uses a cable actuator to engage 4wd.

It's a shame, all that complicated stuff on something as simple as a front axle, and it's all so the driver can keep his feet clean. I like the manual hubs on my 92.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

A thread back from the dead....

Dodge also tried to kill this guy......

Warning: Some swearing in the video....

"Dude, what just happened?".....

answer: You are a candy ass and lost control at a whooping 10 mph!

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I've been a happy Dodge owner since 1999.

My first Dodge was my 99 Durango (V8 5.9 L). Its had almost no service issues. Proper maintenance has allowed me to exceed 150k miles and it's still running strong and will be the first vehicle for my 15 year old (next year).

My current truck is a 2008 Ram 2500 i6 6.7L Turbo Diesel. I'm now at 60k miles and other than a DPF/Turbo cleaning, I've had no issues. It's easily the most powerful vehicle I've ever owned. If Utah didn't have such stringent emissions laws, I'd remove all the DPF/EGR components and the truck would surely run for 300k + miles.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Funny thread. Truck arguments, like sports team arguments, always seem to come down to my pecker is bigger than yours or my dad could beat up your dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Funny thread. Truck arguments, like sports team arguments, always seem to come down to my pecker is bigger than yours or my dad could beat up your dad.
    In my case, both apply!

I love my big red truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce
    I've been a happy Dodge owner since 1999.

My first Dodge was my 99 Durango (V8 5.9 L). Its had almost no service issues. Proper maintenance has allowed me to exceed 150k miles and it's still running strong and will be the first vehicle for my 15 year old (next year).

My current truck is a 2008 Ram 2500 i6 6.7L Turbo Diesel. I'm now at 60k miles and other than a DPF/Turbo cleaning, I've had no issues. It's easily the most powerful vehicle I've ever owned. If Utah didn't have such stringent emissions laws, I'd remove all the DPF/EGR components and the truck would surely run for 300k + miles.
    You and I agree on one thing: Truck choice. Let's just revel in that allegiance for a moment.

(By the way, turbos cut down on the life of a diesel engine as much as 50%. If the Cummins were N/A, it'd go 500k with no problem. But GAWD I love to hear that thing spool!)
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

$11,000 in one year ona truck that had less than 100,000 miles was enough problems for me, epecially since the truck was well taken care of.

Just some of the repairs:

See also here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124217615086013325.html

http://www.daimlerchryslervehicleproblems.com/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122487032121567191.html

http://www.dontbuydodgechryslervehic...ems_videos.htm

I didn

It's OK Scott, everyone's just giving you a hard time.

I specifically bought Dodge for the Cummins. Wouldn't have one of their late-model gasoline models.

When Toyota comes out with a diesel truck, I'll be interested...

-- Wm Blake

Man, somebody has issues

My Dodge still loves me

Scott P, correct me if I'm mistaken, but this Dodge truck you've referred to was owned by the State of Colorado, not you.

The Dealer invoice reflects a CO fleet vehicle.

If that's the case, I'm just amazed you're claiming so much knowledge about the vehicle, it's service history, etc.

I'd like to think a private citizen takes better care of their vehicles than a governmental fleet.

Man, somebody has issues
    Yes, a whole lot of issues. $11,000 worth of issues in one year.

Scott P, correct me if I'm mistaken, but this Dodge truck you've referred to was owned by the State of Colorado, not you.
    Yes, that is correct.

If that's the case, I'm just amazed you're claiming so much knowledge about the vehicle, its service history, etc.
    Its service record is on file. I was the one using the vehicle between October 2004 and May 2009, about five years. No one else used the truck during that time period. I took very good care of the vehicle.

Before I used it, it was assigned to John Bouldin until he retired. He was a kind old man and a very conservative driver who also took care of the truck. All records are on file.

Also, as far as taking care of the truck is concerned, let

Scott, great reply and detail.

I would add that the State probably got ripped-off on many of the repairs. Dealers are notorious for adding phantom parts/charges - and probably more so with a government owned vehicle (where potentially no vested interest exists).

As for my truck, yes - it does vibrate at around 75mph, but for a 7500 pound truck, I suppose that's to be expected. I probably shouldn't be doing 75mph in that rig. The front-ends are notoriously weak and prone to issues - that I will concede.

My Durango however was virtually flawless. The Ram not so much.

I have no vibrations, 125 is the fastest I had it so far

No vibrations on my 04 Cummins 2500 either, smooth as silk up to 90 that I know of.

-- Wm Blake

[quote=Scott P]Another item was the transfer case/shift fork...

The part wouldn

All of the fleet trucks I've driven are absolutely trashed. 1 year of fleet driving = 7 years of normal ownership. I think it's a scientific tie to dog years.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    [quote="JP"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    Another item was the transfer case/shift fork...

NP's were in the Jeeps as well, I don't ever recall a corroded fork. The forks controls the shifting from 2wd, 4High and 4Low. The forks at that point are submerged in tranny fluid. .
    JP
    Could they be talking about the vacuum actuated shift fork on the passenger side of the front axle? I'm not even positive they still exist, but I know in the 90's jeeps, they wore out at a regular pace. Some eliminated the vacuum system and installed a manual locking cable.

Yepper, they still utilize that on the trucks. That is the Center Axle Disconnect or CAD. That's the fork and collar that slides over by an electric switch and or vacuum. Usually when they go bad it's the diaphragm or dry rotted vacuum lines. That fork is partially in gear oil.

I saw this today and just new I had to post it here... the new Dodge Durango is hot!!!