Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new place to go

A new place to go

My friend and I have been taking a biking trip to Moab every April for years. This year we've decided to shake things up and go elsewhere. I would like some advice as to where to go. Some ideas we're kicking around are Goblin Valley in the San Rafell Swell area. Also, Nine Mile Canyon East of Price looks interesting. Hovenweep area south of Blanding also looks fun. If you know these areas or have another suggestion, please respond to this message.
    Thanks
    Life's to short to short to spend indoors

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm not sure you'll find much biking in Goblin Valley.

I would really suggest going to St George for riding. We just got back from there tonight, and I'm writing some trip reports as I speak, with pictures.

I love the trails in St George.

there is some good biking in san rafael...look up 5 miles of hell..and then there are some pretty good slick rock play grounds near black dragon, which is pretty close to goblin valley.
    if you are looking for a biking trip though, i would go st george...this time of year can not be beat...awsome trails
    go get lost, it is good for the soul

Quote Originally Posted by chromehead58
    there is some good biking in san rafael...look up 5 miles of hell..and then there are some pretty good slick rock play grounds near black dragon, which is pretty close to goblin valley.
    if you are looking for a biking trip though, i would go st george...this time of year can not be beat...awsome trails
    Have you been on the slickrock around black dragon? Any pics? i really want to do this ride... soon.
    Any info would be cool.

Re: A new place to go

Quote Originally Posted by vamedtech
    Also, Nine Mile Canyon East of Price looks interesting.
    I've been up there a few times in a vehicle, and I'm not sure that riding that road on a bike would be all that great. It's a nicely maintained gravel road, and during the warmer months there's plenty of tourist traffic and gas company trucks driving down the road. If you're in it for the bike riding, it's probably not a good road. If you're in it for the rock art, I think driving a car would be best, just take it slow so you don't miss anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Have you been on the slickrock around black dragon? Any pics? i really want to do this ride... soon.
    Any info would be cool.
    Here are a few pics from the north side of Black Dragon Wash. It's pretty steep, but I'm sure you can find a lot of places that are good for mountain biking. The first picture was taken by a friend of mine, the rest were taken by me.

great pics....yea, you do not want to ride the rode into the dragon on bike, but as you can see the slick rock has lots of opportunity for riding..aint no slick rock...but fun anyway....i have not riddent the five miles of hell, but a great article on utahmountianbiking.com talks about it, I am going to give it a shot this summmer!! if you go let me know what you think would ya?
    go get lost, it is good for the soul

You could always head over to the Vernal area for sweet singletrack desert riding and go to Altitude Cycles for trail maps & maybe a guide or two...Great trails ....great shop!

Thanks Udink, that looks like fine. I am for sure going to lug the dh bike up there and bomb down from the top of the reef to the bottom hehe

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    You could always head over to the Vernal area for sweet singletrack desert riding and go to Altitude Cycles for trail maps & maybe a guide or two...Great trails ....great shop!
    Agreed - Vernal is a good place and Altitude is a great place. I went to HS with Troy Lupcho - great guy!

I'm not sure you'll find much biking in Goblin Valley.
    Make that none. It's illegal there.

Anyway, one of the best secret bike rides in my opinion is the access road to Gem Canyon. See the "getting there" directions for the Upper Trailhead. It's an interesting bike ride from Kimball Draw to Horizon Arch.

http://www.summitpost.org/canyon/152...ddle-Fork.html

Fruita and Vernal have some interesting places as well.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Anyway, one of the best secret bike rides in my opinion is the access road to Gem Canyon. See the "getting there" directions for the Upper Trailhead. It's an interesting bike ride from Kimball Draw to Horizon Arch.
    I'll second that. I drove that entire stretch in my truck about a year ago, and it was a lot of fun. You might make better time on a bike. There are a few pics here of the road and surroundings.

I don't know of anything around Hovenweep for mountain biking.

If you are willing to come that far, there's always Durango.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

There are a few pics here of the road and surroundings.
    Nice pics.

Anyway, just a minor correction, that stuff is actually gypsum rather than mica. Just in case you were curious.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    Anyway, just a minor correction, that stuff is actually gypsum rather than mica. Just in case you were curious.
    Ahh, thanks for the correction. Some forms of gypsum look so much like mica, I just always assumed the two names were interchangeable. I'm always up for a geology lesson though.

I'll second that notion for the riding in Vernal. It is awesome.. there are some great Fruita-esque desert loops as well as aspen-lined trails there as well at the base of the Uintas.

Also we just did a great ride in Price, and there are many more miles of singletrack there that looks pretty nice too! Look up Fuzzy at Fuzzy's Bicycleworks downtown Price and he can hook you up with info. You could probably find him by googling PASS (Price area singletrack society)

Ride on!

In case you haven't seen www.utahmountainbiking.com check it out - they have a great trails index there with tons of info.

I've been studying the road to Gem Canyon and I think it looks interesting. I like the remoteness. Thanks
    Life's to short to short to spend indoors

Fruita. Colorado, that is. :-)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Fruita has been the hardest place for me to go, and its closer than Moab ...I just need to get down there and DO IT! I have the maps, the trail descriptions, everything but the bodies to go with. I hate to ride somewhere new by myself. Any takers??

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    Fruita has been the hardest place for me to go, and its closer than Moab ...I just need to get down there and DO IT! I have the maps, the trail descriptions, everything but the bodies to go with. I hate to ride somewhere new by myself. Any takers??
    You'd better believe I would go...