Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Maze

The Maze

I've had my eye on The Maze since my first trip to Canyonlands in '02. I don't have a vehicle that would suffice, so I could either rent a Jeep or hook up with some Uutahers. I would like to go in the next year or two. Can anyone tell me what's involved? Is it just backpacking, or is there canyoneering out there too? What's best to see and do there? What are the roads like? What kinds of permits will we need? And finally, is it worth it?

I'm of a mind that I might bring my son, who is 14 now.

Thanks in advance. -Richard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The maze is as remote as it gets. You have to bring in your gas and 4x4 is a must... http://www.naturalarches.org/gallery-UTmaze.htm
    whos knows what else is out there.

Iceaxe..... have you been out there much? tell us a story or two.

I don't have a vehicle that would suffice, so I could either rent a Jeep or hook up with some Uutahers.
    A 4wd drive makes it easier to get around for sure. If you don't have one, you can still backpack down North Canyon. Or walk down the Flint and ener via Golden Stairs, but the Flint Trail is better to drive if you have a vehicle.

Is it just backpacking, or is there canyoneering out there too?
    There is both non-technical backpacking as well as some good technical slot canyons.

What are the roads like?
    The Maze Overlook Road is a typical 4wd road, not too rough, but requiring 4wd. Doll House Road is much rougher and slower and takes hours to get anywhere. Unless you are an off road enthusiast, the Maze Overlook is the perhaps the best way in, at least if you don't want to spend too much time in the vehicle. You can seriously drive to California from SLC faster than to the Doll House. Another great opeion is to park at the top of the Golden Stairs and hike in that way. Lot's of interesting country east after you hit the Doll House Road.

What kinds of permits will we need?
    Permit from the park service. $30 for vehicle camping and $15 for backpacking.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thanks for the info - that's exactly the kind of thing I need. Now..

Who wants to go with me?

Depending on when you do end up going, I would love to come. I'll be happy to drive. I just bought a Subaru Outback and I think it should make it. I am trading my 4x4 jeep for an AWD outback. So far the awd is untested, but I'm sure I'll know by the time of that trip if it will work.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I have only visited a small portion of The Maze from the river (Cateract Canyon), never by 4x4.

A couple years back there was and great article on the most remote location in the lower 48 states. The pin point was The Maze. The location was figure mathematically from a formula of nearest paved road , town, yada, yada..... wish I still had the article, it was really interesting.

As an interesting side note.... I was talking with a Canyonland ranger soon after the Aron Ralston accident. He mentioned that the Park had been slammed with folks wanting travel info for Bluejohn & Horseshoe Canyons. He said most hung up after he mentioned there were no improved campgrounds and the nearest restaurant and motel were at least 3 hours away over rough dirt roads.

So you can dance around the edge ... or you can get right into it with a 4x4.

68 Miles from green river to the Hans Flat ranger station and the canyons of the Maze are another 3 to 6 hours by high-clearance 4WD.
    There are no amenities like food or gas, no entrance fees and no potable water sources in the Maze District.
    sounds like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    ...he mentioned there were no improved campgrounds and the nearest restaurant and motel were at least 3 hours away over rough dirt roads.

That sound like the kind of seclusion and escape I want. When I hiked at Guadalupe in November, on the Tejas trail I hiked six hours and never saw anyone else. It was bliss, and I want more.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    the Tejas trail I hiked six hours and never saw anyone else. It was bliss, and I want more.
    Lots of places you can hike for 6 hours and see no one. In the Maze you can drive for six hours and see no one.

We'll drive by Hans Flat tomorrow on our way to do some canyons. I'm thinking tomorrow might be the most remote canyon I have done to date.

Just don't screw up.... because you are at least 5 hours from mediocre medical care.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    ...he mentioned there were no improved campgrounds and the nearest restaurant and motel were at least 3 hours away over rough dirt roads.

That sound like the kind of seclusion and escape I want. When I hiked at Guadalupe in November, on the Tejas trail I hiked six hours and never saw anyone else. It was bliss, and I want more.

There are NUMEROUS locations like this in Utah. I think if I could classify all of my canyoneering trips in the Swell, the Robber's Roost, and Capitol Reef areas according to how many people I bumped into on the trail, I'm guessing well over 90% of those trips would fall into the ZERO category. That's pretty miraculous considering that many of those trips were during holiday weekends.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I just bought a Subaru Outback and I think it should make it.
    No way an Outback will make the Doll House Road. I'm a proud Subaru owner, but can say it won't make it. It probably could make it down the Flint and to the Golden Staircase Trailhead. With much care it might make the Maze Overlook, but that's sort of pushing it, depending on conditions.

I was with someone who damaged their Ram Charger on the Doll House Road. I don't remember the exact amount, but the fee to get it out of there was around $5000. Not sure how they got it out, but the park service wouldn't let him leave it (teh towing fee was worth more than the vehicle).
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    No way an Outback will make the Doll House Road.
    Thanks for the heads up Scott. I have never been out to the wave, so it is really helpful to know I'm better off not trying.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    There are NUMEROUS locations like this in Utah.
    Yes and No. From what I have read there is plenty of unexploded areas in the Maze.

(not my pics, this guys http://www.flickr.com/photos/molas/ )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timloco...with/58778440/

I had a feeling someone would chime in about the roads. The maps I have all warn about them. Still, it's a trip I'd like to make in the not distant future, not just for the solitude, but also because I've been to all the other sections of Canyonlands, and The Maze looks like it would be an epic splendor.

-Richard

I'm not a huge fan of national parks--I tend to stick to areas that don't charge for entry or require permits--but this thread has caused me to look at the Maze all day in Google Earth. I'd heard the name before, but didn't know anything about the area until today. I would love go to there, I'm sure my truck could handle the roads, and hopefully the dual fuel tanks and 10 extra gallons of diesel would be enough. I'm awfully tempted to go, whether on a trip of my own or tagging along with somebody else. You could get lost there and not even care.

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    I'm not a huge fan of national parks--I tend to stick to areas that don't charge for entry or require permits--but this thread has caused me to look at the Maze all day in Google Earth. I'd heard the name before, but didn't know anything about the area until today. I would love go to there, I'm sure my truck could handle the roads, and hopefully the dual fuel tanks and 10 extra gallons of diesel would be enough. I'm awfully tempted to go, whether on a trip of my own or tagging along with somebody else. You could get lost there and not even care.
    it's considered one of the most remote areas in utah and the conterminous US.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    So far the awd is untested, but I'm sure I'll know by the time of that trip if it will work.
    Oh no, its been heavily tested

JP-

Those are great subaru pictures. Now I'm ready to take flight with my outback

i've been to the Maze twice. Both times i drove to the Hans Flat Ranger Station in a 2wd rental. From the nearby trailhead I believe it's about 12 mostly downhill or level miles to the bottom of the Maze. The last couple miles from the Overlook are the most adventurous. There is water and springs within the Maze and you can get down to the Colorado out by the Dollhouse formations and there's a trail that shoots off from the Flint in the direction of the Fins that leads to a cave where water flows from a pipe into a small stock tank. The Hans Flat Ranger should be able to point out these water locations on your topo map.

Once in the Maze you can follow social trails to the Harvest Scene, Chocolate Drops, The Plug, and to other landmarks.

Also near the ranger station is a good almost road side view of Millard Canyon. Nearby as well is the TH to the galleries in Horseshoe Canyon.

Lighten your load before returning to Hans Flat from the Maze because the hike will seem all uphill.

I would love go to there, I'm sure my truck could handle the roads, and hopefully the dual fuel tanks and 10 extra gallons of diesel would be enough.
    Speaking from experience, any full sized truck or SUV is h--- on the Doll House Road. Something small like a Wrangler, Tacoma, or Samurai, i.e. small and with a short wheelbase is ideal. Not that you couldn't do it, but is is definately a challenge with a full sized vehicle. On the rest of the roads in the Maze, a full size vehicle poses no problems.