Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coyote Butte South

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    I have permits for 2/22 for the north.
    Tanya, what other sort hikes can we do in the area ? We hope to be in the area for a few days. I will have my 3 year old with me who has graduated from his child carrier (he is too heavy) he is slow but a slow but a great hiker.

More or less is am looking for a few short "weekend warrior" type hikes that are great a for a small child.
    Everything in South Coyote Buttes is good with a child along. Most of the work is 4wheeling to the trailhead. From there you just explore as much as you want, there is no real trail.

Cobra Arch is not too far of a hike either, but the trailhead is not near Paw Hole like the other South Coyote Butte Hikes.

The Wave is going to be a tough one for him, but he can do it with help. My guess is he is going to be tuckered out after that one.

Everything on this page is good with a toddler except maybe the Wave.
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm

However unless you have a permit for South Coyote Buttes - Don't venture in the Cottonwood Teepee And Paw Hole area. The rangers out there do check just about everyone, every day.

If you want to go to the Wahweap Hoodoos, you could go in the back door and then its just a very short walk to the hoodoos. I don't tell many about it since the hike through the river is awesome and without much elevation gain. If this was the only hike you were doing for the day he could maybe do it. No permit is needed

White Pocket

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    If you want to go to the Wahweap Hoodoos, you could go in the back door and then its just a very short walk to the hoodoos.
    Is that the one via BLM 431? Maybe we will use this trail, if we will go further on to Yellow Rock that day. If not, we will hike through Wahweap Creek.

More or less is am looking for a few short "weekend warrior" type hikes that are great a for a small child.
    What about the Toadstool Hoodoo? (hope, it is named the same than it is in Germany :? ) Trailhead starts across the Paria Contact Station at UT89 and from there it is just a mile or so to this longnecked Hoodoo.
    I've been there last year and you can walk around in the area and discover a lot of Hoodoos in all sizes. They are not that special than the Wahweap Hoodoos but for a short stop this location is really fun.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by americanhero
    If you want to go to the Wahweap Hoodoos, you could go in the back door and then its just a very short walk to the hoodoos.
    Is that the one via BLM 431? Maybe we will use this trail, if we will go further on to Yellow Rock that day. If not, we will hike through Wahweap Creek.

Yes, that's it. Really miss the wonderful hiking part though. I also took it off my site since the monument really does not want people going this way.

What about the Toadstool Hoodoo? (hope, it is named the same than it is in Germany :? ) Trailhead starts across the Paria Contact Station at UT89 and from there it is just a mile or so to this longnecked Hoodoo.
    I've been there last year and you can walk around in the area and discover a lot of Hoodoos in all sizes. They are not that special than the Wahweap Hoodoos but for a short stop this location is really fun.
    Yes! Those are perfect for families with small kids. Short walk to nice rock formations.

The Rimrock Hoodoos?

I have the description on the same page as the Wahweap Hoodoos. Look at the bottom of the page.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/wahweap-hoodoos.htm
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...ms/index58.htm

It just dawned on me that I never made an album of the Rimrock Hoodoos! I need to do that! I have the photos.

Some interesting hoodoos near Road #431

Yes, that's it. Really miss the wonderful hiking part though. I also took it off my site since the monument really does not want people going this way.
    That's interesting. Some of my friends have tried this trail in fall and they also asked the rangers if it will be okay to use this way. They were told they could use it.
    For me it doesn't matter if they don't like people around there any more. Then I will enjoy the long hike throughout the wonderful area of Wahweap Creek.

Yes! Those are perfect for families with small kids. Short walk to nice rock formations.

The Rimrock Hoodoos?

I have the description on the same page as the Wahweap Hoodoos. Look at the bottom of the page.
    Jepp, I mean the Rimrock Hoodoos. On your page are pics of some of them I have seen last year.

Newbie: I have question?

I found this thread by accident and it was the best accident I have had. I would like to know how far the hike from Lone Tree Junction is to Paw Hole, I know that you have to have a permit to go there and I don't have a 4x4 to help with getting there I see by a map that it's not to far, or so it seems. Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated.

This is the map that shows how far it seems to be.
    synnatschke.de/cbs/cbs-white-pocket-topo-map* add Jpeg to the end and www to the front of...

the * is a . just to get you an idea of what I mean, and if this is not allowed I'm deeply sorry for it .... I'm just trying to get info... Please inform me as to my ignorance
    Ok I see that I'm not allowed to post links yet

Lynn

This is the map that shows how far it seems to be.
    synnatschke.de/cbs/cbs-white-pocket-topo-map* add Jpeg to the end and www to the front of...
    One of my favourite websites . I don't know how many miles it is to hike, but I've read the trail report that someone posted on his website and he wrote that it took them 70 minutes to hike from Lone Tree to Paw Hole. From looking at the Topo Map I would say that it's between 3-4 miles so this could be correct. Another idea: If you have permits but no 4WD you could book a guided tour with Steve from Paria Outpost. We did that and it was great. We did a whole day trip, visiting Paw Hole, Cottonwood Teepees and White Pocket. It was $175 each (including some lunch and a barbecue in the evening) and it was really worth the money.

Richie

Bogley BigShot
    Your camera would LOVE the Waheap Hoodoos. If you have a 4WD you can do the short cut. I am not sure the actual hike there is doable in February and with a kid. It's miserable in the summer when its too hot, but winter there might be water and be too cold. I have not done it winter yet. Spring and Fall are best. You could do Cobra Arch and if you can get to it, Willis Creek on Skutumpah Road but I would go in from Cannyonville rather than Glendale this time of year. those are my favorites all all close to Coyote Buttes. I also love buckskin and you can just get a $5 permit at the trailhead and go as far as you want. There are some nice petroglyphs near the start. If you want to visit South you can usually get a permit that day.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/gshike.htm

North Coyote Buttes itself has a lot to explore. Melody Arch and Top Rock Arch would be scary with a young child, but you can find the grotto and dinosaur tracks. There are many rocks named out there like hamburger rock, and double arch to look for as well.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/coy...ttes-paria.htm

I should look at the dates on something and if I already answered before posting. lol

Thank you Richie and Tanya, good info I did a check on my GPS unit's map and it by the 4x4's road is about 3 miles, I was wondering about across country trekking. Don't know what the terrain looks like and don't want to guess...
    Thanks again....
    Lynn