Thread: Festival of Colors

Festival of Colors

I don't know if you guys have ever heard of the festival of colors but it is a celebration put on by the Hare Krishna. It is like a huge celebration of Spring. Everyone throws powdered paint on each other, there is huge bonfire, and you can take in some fun culture. I went last year and loved it and I thought I would try and give you guys the heads up in case you want to come.

Here are some of my pictures from last year:

I really enjoy learning about different religions, so I would recommend you just stop by their temple sometime for the learning experience but I definitely recommend going to the Festival of Colors just for the fun.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm sure this comment will lead to another joke about me but one of my favorite parts of this day was the shower afterwards. All the paint rolled off me and the shower floor looked tie-dyed. It was like a shower rainbow. Go a head and call me girlie or whatever, I just really enjoyed the experience and thought I would try and share it with you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    I'm sure this comment will lead to another joke about me but one of my favorite parts of this day was the shower afterwards. All the paint rolled off me and the shower floor looked tie-dyed. It was like a shower rainbow.
    Got pics for tanya?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    Got pics for tanya?

OK, so what is the deal with the ginormous green faced Frankenstein's bride in the last photo? Is that part of the celebration? Is this a burning man sort of thing? Looks interesting... I live pretty close by there. I may have to check it out. They have some great recipes are nice folks.
    Life is Good

The green faced witch is and effigy. Burning the effigy is how they begin the bonfire.

I'm sure this comment will lead to another joke about me but one of my favorite parts of this day was the shower afterwards. All the paint rolled off me and the shower floor looked tie-dyed. It was like a shower rainbow. Go a head and call me girlie or whatever,
    hippie

looks like fun. Did the paint stuff stain your clothes/shoes etc.
    The man thong is wrong.

Bogley BigShot
    Got pics for tanya?

I love the couple pics! They are so cute!!!!!!

Down Wade... I know you are thinking Threesome!

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    I'm sure this comment will lead to another joke about me but one of my favorite parts of this day was the shower afterwards. All the paint rolled off me and the shower floor looked tie-dyed. It was like a shower rainbow. Go a head and call me girlie or whatever, I just really enjoyed the experience and thought I would try and share it with you guys.
    I think it looks like fun - and something definitely different to do. There are a lot of ethnic festivals held in SL that are fun to attend. Different food, arts and crafts etc. I'm just wondering when they're going to start celebrating Mardi Gras out here. My friend is in a parade each year in her city of Riverton, and last year I gave her a ton of old Mardi Gras beads to throw. She was the hit of the parade.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx
    lDid the paint stuff stain your clothes/shoes etc.
    No, not really. I bought clothes at D.I. for this just in case but everything washed out (the shirt took a couple of washes though). The only clothing issue I had, was the bonfire made a river of embers and I couldn't resist standing in it, so my shirt got a little charred. But it was totally worth it.

BTW- They sell little bags of the paint there for a dollar and that is what you throw around. I think we spent like 4 bucks a piece. It is a partial fund raiser for the Hare Krishna.

Sounds kind of GAY to me

i have to admit, it looks kinda fun.
    i bet kids would be way into it.

is it preceded by the usual feast the krishna throw? with the chanting of the mantra

hare krishna, hare krishna
    krishna krishna, hare hare

hare rama, hare rama
    rama rama, hare hare

Quote Originally Posted by stefan

is it preceded by the usual feast the Krishna throw? with the chanting of the mantra
    Yeah but there are so many people that it is hard to fit in the temple (or the downstairs where they have the "free meal" for which you donate. It is one of the few times of the year that they tell you exactly how much to donate for your food.

They have a Hare Krishna band that plays Hare Krishna rock and roll songs once the fire is lit. Here is a clip of the festival (after the paint was finished being thrown:

BTW- The Hare Krishna are all over. If you don't live in Utah there is probably still a "Festival of Colors" going on in your area.

I remember doing track work while preparing for a marathon, and a girl showed up in her running gear completely covered in colored paint. I thought she was just eccentric (she was fast enough that she could do just about anything she wanted, and no one could question her about it), but it turned out that she had just come from the Festival of Colors.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Got pics for tanya?

I love the couple pics! They are so cute!!!!!!

Down Wade... I know you are thinking Threesome!
    now youre just being funny - this is cool stuff!

(bump)

The festival is this Saturday!