Thread: Motorcycles on the Bearclaw Poppy Trail

Motorcycles on the Bearclaw Poppy Trail

The BPT seems to be gettting more popular all the time. That is good on the one hand, but bad on the other. While I don't generally like to see crowds on the trail, it doesn't bother me too much to pass a few bikes on my ride, even if they represent the increased traffic that is doing (mostly minor) damage to the trail.

But here's the thing: Lately I have been finding ATV tracks on the trail, especially in the wash below the Fingers of Death. Sandy sections are starting to develop on the trail as a result of motorized use. Even worse, I encountered a motorcycle riding up and down Clavicle Hill today.

I told the kid on the moto to get the hell off the trail and he seemed apologetic, but I'm pretty sure it was just an act. After all, the trail is marked from top to bottom prohibiting motorized use. If he really gave a shit he wouldn't have been there in the first place.

This kind of thing is the ultimate piss-off for me. Billy Bob and his redneck losers have the whole freaking valley to tear apart to their heart's content, and it is HUGE. But apparently, it is just too much to ask that they not destroy the only two bike trails that are out there, our trails must be destroyed along with everything else.

Anyway, to finally get to the point. I don't know what to do about this problem. I don't want to go to the BLM because I'm afraid they might just ban EVERYONE from the trails rather than take away Joe Bob Squat's cross-country cruiser/rototiller. The best plan I have come up with so far is to take pictures of the offenders and threaten to turn them in. I just don't know if they're intelligent enough to be scared by something like that. Maybe I could just knock them off their bikes and ghost ride them over the nearest cliff. Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't know that we will have to worry too much about it since I see the earth movers coming around the hill side and leveling the area leading to the Bear Claw Poppy trail. I am pretty sure by the years end that the whole area will be developed so we won't have a trail to worry about.

A shovel in one hand and an ice cold beer in the other
    Just a suggestion take the time to talk to the blm manager get a comunication channel open with local office, I feel your pain but at the same time you have to look at the situation from all aspects, maybe the blm does not know the situation.give them a call.
    Resident Ogden freeride park forum whore

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    I don't know that we will have to worry too much about it since I see the earth movers coming around the hill side and leveling the area leading to the Bear Claw Poppy trail. I am pretty sure by the years end that the whole area will be developed so we won't have a trail to worry about.
    I agree, although they've been working on this area for several years now.

I think the only way (besides persuasion) is to make the gates more difficult to lift a motorbike over. But you don't want to screw the mtn bikers either.

Maybe you can just call up a BLM official next time as it's happening. Let them do the dirty work.

If you contact the BLM - assuming they are the landowners - then I guarantee they will send someone out to investigate and/or patrol the area for a time. That is there job...and they are very good at it! SO, give them a chance to help on this and it will work out - they want the trails used the right way as much or more than anyone. Also, the bike club that helps to sponsor trail care in St. George -which can be located through the Chamber of Commerce - should be notified as well. They may already know what is going on here and have started an inverstigation of their own. GOOD LUCK!