Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Canyoneering Weekend (update)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Schnupp
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

Kazak, I though your pictures turned out great, and I did like your camera. Is the same one that Utidcapaco put a link to?
    I believe he has the WP30 (latest of the series) basically more Megapixels. But it's the same series. What I don't like about my WP10 camera is the size, it's just a bit too big for the P&S camera. I will look at the Olympus camera once the Costco comes out with it. But other than that I am totally happy with the Pentax camera for the waterproofness and the speed of operations.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kazak, What are the differences between the Pentax and the new Olympus? You seem to have a good understanding of camera; I don't. Is it worth waiting for the new Olympus?

Since it's so close, I would wait and see. Olympus cameras are always good, they have great lenses and usually take decent pictures. Pentax used to be the leader in the waterproof cameras, but Olympus is breaking into the market now.

I will buy the Olympus as soon as I see it at the store and will let you know if it's worth it or not. I guess you want to stick with waterproof cameras?

I researched the Olympus (I believe 720SW) long and hard vs. The Pentax Optio (I don't have the W30, but I think it's the W10, like Kazak's). What I found was that while the Olympus had higher resolution, the actual photos weren't any better than those taken with the Pentax. The "shockproofness" of the Olympus is a nice feature, but the consensus I read was that the durability wasn't that great and that it wasn't worth the additional premium $ over the Pentax. Now that Pentax has increased their megapixels and doubled the depth of waterproofness, I would say it's a no brainer: go with the Pentax. I don't know if Olympus has updated their model, but if they have, YMMV. As for size, I don't have any problem with the Pentax. If it were smaller, I'd probably drop it easier.

uti, I believe the Olympus one has the lens cover?

I wish Pentax would bring the rubberized case from the old film cameras they used to do.

Waterproof and shockproof is key. Any idea when the Olympus will be released? Both of these cameras are very nice and exactly what I'm looking for...thanks for your help

costco.com have it on their savings ad for 3/19-3/25, with a discount of $50 off. Looks like it'll be available online and at the store.

i've been pretty pleased w/ my Pentax optio ( i have the w20)
    but like Alex said above. some times those point and shoots just dont grab enough light .
    he and i actually had this same conversation while slogging through Lomatium. they are great small cameras, but not the end all be all for jaw dropping photos.
    i've been shopping for my next camera, and i think it will be a Canon Rebel XTI w/ a 2.8 24-70 lens.
    BUT i'm going into it w/ the mind set that its gonna get thrashed in the canyons, so WHEN it does, i wont be heart broken.