Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Canyoneering Weekend (update)

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    itchys, I don't know who is all going from SLC, as far as I know, I am the only one. I can pick you up on the way if you want. I am planning on heading down Friday after work, spending the night in the motel6 and then meeting up with rock and the gang on Saturday morning and camping it on Saturday.
    Sounds like a plan.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If Beta were available I would read about the canyon before asking about beginners

Just out of curiosity - is Lomatium in the park? Does the Park Service have any problem with canyoneering in the park?

I ask because there are lots of arches off the beaten path that I would like to visit but I don't know if I can just go off exploring on my own.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    If Beta were available
    Lomation is dry (or maybe ankle deep at one spot), takes about 1/2 day. The actual slot is only a couple hundred yards long. Both rappels are free hanging. The major difficulties are route finding and rigging the first rappel. The rappel is a real bitch to rig and not leave 80' of webbing or have difficult rope pulls.

The route is suitable for beginners with competent leadership. Small groups of 6 or less are advised (less impact and easier to fly under the NPS radar).

A map, compass and/or GPS are worthless for this route. After doing the route you will understand why

The latest update is...

Group is at 6 members. Me, Alex, Marc, Marc's friend, Dan, Eric

We're meeting at Arches VC at 9:00 am. We're gonna hit Lomatium and Tierdrop (or Belly of the Whale, or Blimp Hangar, or whatever else you wanna call it).

Sunday still looks good for Medieval Chamber.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Park Service

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    Just out of curiosity - is Lomatium in the park? Does the Park Service have any problem with canyoneering in the park?

I ask because there are lots of arches off the beaten path that I would like to visit but I don't know if I can just go off exploring on my own.
    Lomatium is inside the Park, and inside the Fiery Furnace, an environmentally sensitive area. The Park does not, per se, have an issue with canyoneering in the Park. But, a couple things you cannot do:

1. Climb (or canyoneer) on any named arch (on the USGS map).

2. Endanger other people, which means you cannot rappel above a highly used trail, where you might knock rocks down on the tourists.

3. trample crypto soil, or otherwise have adverse impacts.

they also discourage getting lost and needing rescue, which is one reason for the careful concern about people going into the FF - it is an easy place to get lost.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    The latest update is...

We're meeting at Arches VC at 9:00 am. We're gonna hit Lomatium and Tierdrop (or Belly of the Whale, or Blimp Hangar, or whatever else you wanna call it).

So meet at 9:00, then we pay our $6.00 (or however much it is), watch the "don't step on the black dirt" video, then off to the furnace right? I'm in for Saturday, but still have my school clinical thing on Sunday so I'll be driving back Saturday night.

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    The latest update is...

So meet at 9:00, then we pay our $6.00 (or however much it is), watch the "don't step on the black dirt" video, then off to the furnace right? I'm in for Saturday, but still have my school clinical thing on Sunday so I'll be driving back Saturday night.

Eric.

Correct. I think the fee is actually $4.00

See you then.

any chance we can get an earlier start?

say 8-ish when the office opens?

I'd be down for an earlier start.

eric, you need a ride, i'm probably heading down friday night late, camp primitive off of 313, and head back saturday evening.

8:00am is fine

Do you copy that Alex?

That's fine, I was going to drive down Saturday morning, but getting up at 4am is sucky, so I will be down there Friday night then and meet you guys at 8am. At the ranger station right?

Should we meet for breakfast at Denny's at 7?

Meet at the Arches Nat'l Park visitor's center. Bring me some pancakes from Denny's -- I'll eat em on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    Should we meet for breakfast at Denny's at 7?

breakfast?

oh man you need to go out with Shane some more.
    he'll break you of that habit fast!

Well see Shane likes to get going by 7 right? So that means I can get up at 6 and still get breakfast

BTW, marc, where are you camping Friday night?

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    eric, you need a ride, i'm probably heading down friday night late, camp primitive off of 313, and head back saturday evening.
    That would work, or I can give you a ride, either way works for me. I get off work at around 7:30 pm Friday, but can have all my stuff ready to go so I can leave as soon as I am off. When were you planning on leaving? Would be nice to split gas, let me know either on here or at ericgodfrey AT gmail DOT com.

The weather is looking good for the weekend! I am psyched!

Newbie here with a strong back.

Hey Rock...I would love to join you guy's if you have room, I have done Medieval Chamber but not Lomatium.

Now as I understand it, the new guy has to prove himself to the group. So I purpose to carry all the rope both day's. And let it be known that I do enjoy a malt beverage after canyoneering, so there will be a limited selection for those who also partake.

What do you think?

Mark

Hmmmm...if you wanna go with us, you have to pass this canyoneering quiz:

1) Who is the Emperor?

2) Your anchor fails while you are on rappel. You are 95 feet from the canyon bottom, there is no wind, and it is a free-hanging rappel. What is your velocity when you strike the canyon bottom? (in feet/second)

3) How many slot canyons are featured on Climb-Utah.com?

4) If Jane tramples twice as much cryptobiotic soil as Susan, but not half as much as Jason, how much more cryptobiotic soil will she have to trample before the NPS closes public access to the Fiery Furnace?

5) What cheese goes best with apricot hefe-weizen?

This quiz must be completed in 20 minutes. I'm timing you.

Good luck!