Thread: Triple Shot of Poison (Spring)

Triple Shot of Poison (Spring)

I have a March trip planned to the Poison Spring area. The idea is to spend three easy days and hit Constrychnine, Arscenic, and Slideanide, in that order. I chose the order to vary things a bit, considering that the routes overlap some, especially Constrychnine and Slideanide. Also, based on what I've heard, Slideanide is a little more spectacular than Constrychnine (I was hoping to save the biggest bang for last). The group will consist of six, none of whom have done these slots before. Here are my questions/concerns:

1. Would you tweak the order, and if so, how?
    2. Based on the route overlap, will we get sick of the same exit three days in a row? Should we look elsewhere or into any side trips (exploring the canyon at the exit junction, for example)?
    3. Considering the short routes, is the trailhead decent enough to enjoy chilling and camping at for three long evenings?
    4. Are platforms on the exit rap in Slideanide large enough to hold six larger canyoneers (while we stage the next rap)?

Thanks in advance for your expertize.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's easy to do two of these routes in one day. We went down Arsenic and up the middle between Arsenic and Slideainide and down Slide. You could also go down Constrict and exit to the south below the junction and then do Slide or Arsenic. You can vary your routes and exiting is usually not much of a problem. For those wanting a bigger challenge you can climb up the last spur canyon entering from the north below the slide/const junction.

Arsenic is my favorite of the canyons because I think it's the prettiest, Slide is the hardest, Constrict is the easiest (in my opinion). Camping at the trailhead is so-so.... but there is no place better in the area that I know of.

Should be no problem stageing down Slide. You'll figure out a good method when you get there. The entire final drop has been downclimbed, but I would not recommend it.

Check out http://www.outdoorzen.org/site/beta/...lideanide.html for some other exit options. I would do Slideanide and Constrychnine on the same day.

I think they are all about equal beauty wise, and all have good spots.

Thanks for the detailed info Iceaxe. Thanks for the link, deserthiker. I also noticed your post here regarding alternate exits: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php...r=asc&start=15

Ok, I'm sure it depends on the route chosen, but in general, how much time would you allow for a competent group of six to do a loop/combo of both Constrychnine and Slideanide?

I would say a full day (8 hours). But the good part is you can bail at half-time if you have had enough. Predicting time is hard without knowing the group.