Thread: OK, who farted?

OK, who farted?

SLC is just New Jersey with mountains.

-----------

Utah's Mountains, Valleys Under a 'Soup'
    January 31, 2007
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

improve the air around you:

http://www.under-tec.com/store.php

When my family moved to Utah from California, we couldn't believe how clear the night sky was here. My brothers and I would sleep out on the trampoline, and just stare at all the stars. It has been sad for me that the last couple of years, I have needed to leave the city to see the stars the way I used to see them at my parents house.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    When my family moved to Utah from California, we couldn't believe how clear the night sky was here. My brothers and I would sleep out on the trampoline, and just stare at all the stars. It has been sad for me that the last couple of years, I have needed to leave the city to see the stars the way I used to see them at my parents house.
    okay but there are two reasons for the loss of light, right. (1) is the increased pollution which increases the fraction of light which is reflected/scattered back towards the city and competes with the intensity of the starlight and (2) the actual increase in the amount of light produced by the city as the city grows/becomes denser ... i.e. light pollution. and of course pollution (and water/clouds) amplifies the light pollution, the double whammy of a growing city, like the wasatch front metropolis.

i remember being a small kid in the city and seeing lots of stars, pointing out constellations, etc. slowly that would go away. as late as the early-mid 1990s i remember being able to easily rely upon the high point of the road in emigration canyon to see tons of stars, not obscured by the city lights. but during the late 90s, even in the cold of winter, the city light competed too much to be worthwhile.

some places set up light pollution ordinances (beyond the usual sodium light specifications for observatories) to deal with this issue. i think arizona is one of the few places that has done much to restricting light pollution, specifying restrictions on lumens per acre. i remember reading about this around 99-01. not sure how many other places have gone the same direction, but i'd like to see more

Anyone ever heard of Ric Romero?

no idea who that is

Quote Originally Posted by scoutabout
    Anyone ever heard of Ric Romero?
    Sounds like a Salsa Dancer.

Captain Obvious