Thread: Bike Path Traps

Bike Path Traps

http://www.comcast.net/news/strange/...02/577595.html

Man Accused of Setting Bike Path Traps
    By Associated Press
    Fri Feb 2, 8:06 PM

LUBBOCK, Texas - A 62-year-old man is suspected of stringing wires at neck level across a popular bike path, as well as scattering nails, broken glass and rocks across the trail in a series of traps set because he wanted to protect the environment, police said.

"This could kill someone," said Dewayne Wallace, an avid cyclist who said his friend was cut across the neck by one of the wires and was thrown from his bike.

A grand jury was scheduled to review the case next week, to see if the man will face two third-degree felony charges of attempted aggravated assault with a weapon. Each count carries a maximum of 10 years in prison.

Detective Rene Martinez said he questioned the man about the traps set over at least a yearlong period, and the man told him he just wanted to protect wildlife.

"He just loves nature," Martinez said.

___

Information from the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal: http://www.lubbockonline.com

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

printable version email article
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This guy needs to be drawn and quartered. NOTHING pisses me off more! and he should know that if he ever tried it in Wyoming he might get SHOT 'cause ALOT of us here come armed...to the teeth....it's how we become such good shots

Maybe it's that Rev Coyote guy here on this forum. He claimed he was doing similar stuff on OHV trails.

It's a pretty sorry thing to be doing.

Most of the environmentalists are just nuts.

I love to ride the trails and paths alone after dark. I've often thought how easy it would be from someone to ambush me at night or set traps in the more remote areas. But I haven't worried that anything like that would actually happen. Bizarre.

The eco-terrorist should be charged with attempted murder, but the prosection is probably just being careful to not overplay it's hand and let this demented fool get away with anything.

i do not get this...i am a big ed abbey fan...read all his books and belive in his attemtps to save the enviroment "what else is there?"
    but even ed knew that the earth had many useses. and that being the key...there should be trails for bikes...hiking and yes even those motorized stinking bikes...damn it is about balance, and making sure we can all enjoy what we have, not taking everything away, but balance....so my good brothers and sisters of the biking tribe, lets not fall into the same trap that this DH do, but rather take the high road and try to educate these guys that think they have all the answers and that there is more than one way to enjoy this beautiful rock we live on!
    go get lost, it is good for the soul