Thread: the Frozen Hog race report

the Frozen Hog race report

Well, it was a good race...cold at the start, but after the first lap it warmed up fast. I was soaking wet by the end of the second lap...good thing it was all I was gonna go...I was BEAT! AND, my rear derailleur was not shifting so I might as well have been riding a single speed BUT, not to worry, it turned out ok. At least I didnt come in last in any dividion. My time was 57m 9sec which was respectable...at least 30 people were behind me -overall - I guess it was the largest race they have had to date. Here are some pics to ponder:
    milling about at the start of the race

my cheezy wave to the camera crew

coming around the first lap

final crawl to the finish

I am SO wasted! see the steam?

the race board...Im not at the bottom

nice view of the south side of Lone Peak

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

AWESOME!!! So how was it then? It was a pretty nice day and the temps were double what we've been having. Man this pictures live up to the name frozen hawg.

Bunch of die hards out there....

The temp at the start of the race was 16 degrees but by the second lap I didnt notice the cold much. after the race it was getting up to 40...41 when I got in the jeep to leave. I won a polar gelpac bladder..I thought that was better than a ribbon and a pair of socks

Thats an awesome photo and I am stealing it for the homepage.

Awwwwww Yeah! Reprezentin'

Nice, I'll put this in the index as the FIRST TR IN 2007! Nice job, I wish I were there.

OK - It is coming up again here in Feb. 08 - Anyone considering running this race this year. I am still contemplating whether I will or not....'cause, DAMN, you know it's cold!

How long was the course? A little too cold for me especially if it is in the 20's.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I almost made it last year, with the helmetcam. It would've been fun.

This year, I'll almost make it too. I think I'll still be recovering by then, definitely not enough to race. Casual ride, maybe......

Here is everything you ever wanted to know about the Frozen Hog.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/rides/hog-race.htm

If memory serves, TallSteve was involved in organization of this too.

I had fun doing the race last year but make no mistake, it's cold at the start! I am really coming close to deciding whether or not I am gonna do it again. Timing is everything in my life and Im not sure yet if I can wing it. Well see.

I am signed up, this will be my fifth year! Last year sucked, DNF. Lesson learned, if you use Stans stuff it will reopen old sealed holes when it is COLD!!! I don't know if it is because I used the concentrate and not the premix but it was interesting to watch the goop squirt out and make a puddle in the snow.

It is cold and it can be horribly - Slick, muddy, wet, icy pick any two, but also a ton of fun. If you are on the fence then jump in, it will give you bragging rights at work on Monday.

I think I will make an appearance at this thing, but only to photograph it. Let me know if you suckas show up...

Hate to put a wrench in the works from my end but Fourtycal and I discovered we could do a Moab trip this weekend...guess what just took precedence We havent worked out all the details yet but I'll post a new thread & let you know.

The race was great! Lots and lots of snow on the course this year. Many, many hours of volunteer labor to pack and shovel the course route. We had just over one hundred racers show up. The racers said the first lap was in awesome shape. The second lap had turned to mush and was mostly hike-a-bike conditions. Everyone seemed to have thoroughly enjoyed themselves. You can find pictures, race results and video here: http://utahmountainbiking.com.
    Are we there yet?