Thread: Suggestions Please (Moab)

Suggestions Please (Moab)

I've never been biking in Moab. Som, Acca, Grey, any suggestions for a weekend trip? I was planning on doing Slick Rock or Porcupine. I need one more.

What do you think?
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What's your riding level? If you've never done Slickrock, I'd suggest starting with that one. It's a legendary trail, and ridable for all ages.

I still haven't done Porcupine Rim, and want to pretty badly. You should take the shuttle, so it's mostly a downhill ride with awesome views. It's one of the top trails in Moab.

You really cant go wrong price. Those two trails are great and prolly both fit the bill for you. Some others are a little more challenging and offer different obstacles. I like poison spider too, but a bit more advanced. Others can chime in...Moab has o'plethora to offer. When you goin'?

Porcupine Rim is AWESOME! There's some serious stuff along the way, most of which you'll see and can walk. Unless you've got some seriously strong legs, you'll want to definitely get the shuttle because doing a loop with it makes for one very long day. Most of it is ridable for anyone with a little experience. There are a couple intersections where you can get sidetracked, so you just have to pay attention.

If you can setup a shuttle to drop you off at the top of Onion Creek, or if you don't mind riding up just to come back down, you could do that one. I didn't get to ride it on one of the trips I planned, but at the last minute couldn't go on, but everybody who rode it said they really, really loved it. That was in the summer though, so I don't know how you'd like a ton of creek crossings in the winter. It's pretty low on required skill, but lots of fun.

Poison Spider, is one of those trails I don't like because of all the sand you have to trudge through to get up on top to the slickrock. It probably wouldn't be too bad to deal with the sand this time of year since it won't be roasting.

Slickrock is definitely ridable, but more applicably walkable by people of all ages I found the trick to riding most of the hills besides sheer strength was to be in your easiest gear, and before you start climbing, crank away like there's no tomorrow even though you're just spinning, and don't stop when it gets tough. The amount of speed going into the climb doesn't matter too much because all your momentum disappears quickly.

Gemini Bridges with a shuttle is/was fun - I hear they've graded the road you ride on and all the short ledges you could jump off of are gone.

For $50 some rafting company dropped me off at the top of the Shafer Road in Canyonlands and picked me up with a boat at the bottom of Lathrop Canyon at the Colorado, that trip was one of the funnest rides I've done. You have to make sure they already have a boat scheduled to come by there though or that your group size is large enough that they'll make the trip down.

There's a trail north of town that ends just inside Arches NP, White Bluffs or something. That was alright, not too much sand, and dinosaur tracks along the way.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mroy
    There's a trail north of town that ends just inside Arches NP, White Bluffs or something. That was alright, not too much sand, and dinosaur tracks along the way.
    Klondike Bluffs; nice easy trail, unless you lose a screw on your biking shoes clip. Then you fall down every time you stop.
    I used to be concerned about my apathy, but now I don't care anymore.

Yeah, Klondike Bluffs. I've had to do some interesting repairs on that trail, like cutting a tube at the site of a leak and knotting the tube together because I was out of patches (I led group rides eons ago and had to repair a lot of flats that ride)

Since you've never been, get yourself the two moab trail maps (North and South) They have the major trails marked, and are all around just excellent maps. Somebody else might know who makes them, I don't have them handy, but they're in nearly every bookstore and gift shop. I saw National Geopgraphic Maps at the Outdoor Retailer show and saw that they made some Moab maps as well, but I can't say if they'd be better than the original trail maps that have been around forever.
    Mike

SOVEREIGN SINGLETRACK!! Do it clockwise, in a loop. Start at the 4 wheeler start - more fun, and longer. You have to ride on the road for about a mile to get back to your car, but that's ok. Go to Rim Cyclery and ask the shop guy for a map and ask them about the 4 wheeler start, they gave me the directions for it my first time. It's my favorite trail there because it has mostly singletrack, some really really fun rock riding and it's got beautiful views. Did I mention it's really fun? :-)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Whereabouts is Soverign?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mroy
    Whereabouts is Soverign?
    I havent ridden it, but it is near Klondike Bluffs, relatively.
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/sovergn.htm
    From the north, Dalton Wells road is 17 miles south of I-70, on your left. Willow Springs Road is exactly 1 mile further south, also on the left. Coming north from Moab, Willow Springs Road will be on your right, 1.8 miles past the junction with Highway 313 (Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point).
    It's been on our list of rides-to-do.

Porcupine Rim may not be rideable this time of the year- check with one of the Moab bike shops. It starts at quite high elevation and will most likely be snow covered on the upper end. It can also be harder to find shuttle service right now. I'm pretty sure Poison Spider Bicycle still operates theirs. Porcupine Rim is a blast- still my overall favorite, but be prepared, it will beat the snot out of you even with full suspension. My second favorite would have to be Amassa Back- love that ride! Sovereign is also great fun (Sovereign is north of town). And of course you can never go wrong with Slickrock Trail. The challenge I see with with the Slickrock Trail is that it gets touted often as being a beginner trail and it IS NOT! It is tough and not for the faint-hearted. I can't tell you how many times I've seen unprepared (equipment, physically, mentally, etc...) beginner riders on Wal-Mart specials trying to tackle this trail and they are NOT having fun (I have literally seen much blood and tears). I also really like Klondike Bluffs as a short secondary ride after a tougher morning ride. It's not tough technically but does require aerobic strength. My 2 cents. Go to utahmountainbiking.com and print out their convenient trail guides on the left side of the main page.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    The challenge I see with with the Slickrock Trail is that it gets touted often as being a beginner trail and it IS NOT! It is tough and not for the faint-hearted. I can't tell you how many times I've seen unprepared (equipment, physically, mentally, etc...) beginner riders on Wal-Mart specials trying to tackle this trail and they are NOT having fun .
    excellent point

We first rode this sooo many years ago. I had a Schwinn High Sierra...lol. The bike I now have is ten times better, but my balls are now ten times smaller. Wait, must be 100 times smaller, cuz I rode ten times better with the old Schwinn on Slickrock than I do now.

Sometimes it's the kids that do better on these kinds of trails, cuz they haven't learned about fear yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    I can't tell you how many times I've seen unprepared (equipment, physically, mentally, etc...) beginner riders.
    Yeah, no kidding, I've seen a lot of stuff. Broken bones, broken relationships. Guys, if your girl isn't into riding, Slickrock is not going to convince them it's fun.

When I'd take groups on the trail I'd run everybody through the practice loop and where it joins back up with the main trail give them the option to head back to the trailhead, or keep going. It let those who wanted to try it out do just that, but not overdo it.
    Mike

Yeah, I was going to mention the practice loop. I would try this short loop first just so you can get an idea of what to expect- besides that, the p.l. is a fun addition!
    Are we there yet?

Yeah, Slickrock is hard. Well, more like it's a lot of work. And, there are definately some scary sections.

I love Klondike Bluffs. We usually will ride Klondike on our way out of town. It's generally easy, but really a lot of fun - particularly on the way back where it is a sweet gradual downhill that you can really have fun on. Plus, the dino tracks are cool and the views over Arches at the top (hike out the bluffs) are really nice.

Another trail that I like that rarely gets mentions is the Behind the Rocks... it's the trail that the 24 hours of Moab race is on. It's a great ride, I think (I did the race a few years ago).

There are some new singletrack trails I've heard of but arent published any where. The last time I was down there during the Fat Tire Festival, they were riding them but I dont have details. One was out near Klondike (not Sovereign) and one was out between Slickrock and the top of Porcupine.... I'd really be interested in finding out more about these trails.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

I took my GPS along one time to see what kind of elevation gain I could get out of it on Slickrock - realizing that measuring at 1/100 mile increments would result in a seriously underestimated number because you wouldn't always get a measurement at the top of a hill or the bottom of a gully, but it was something to go off of nonetheless, and the GPS said 1,950 feet by the end. That's a serious underestimation though. It's more like the number you'd get if you measured the elevation between the major high and lowpoints along the route. I want to know what the real number would be though. Has anybody else wondered how much you really climb on Slickrock?
    Mike

Where do I start?! I ride Slickrock nearly every time I am down there simply because its a great warmup trail & you'll work the 'bugs'out. There is always someone on the trail there & they offer 'free advise' if you let them. Last time I rode Porcupine I rode it from Sandflats, where we were camped, as a LOOP which means 30 miles and most of the day! I dont recommend it this time of year...still lots of mud & snow up high. Paoison Spider is a great trail if you dont mind walking the bike through the sandy sections.. I think the top sections are worth the work but I am a massechist when it comes to Moab. Amasa Back is an awesome trail! Fourycal and I rode it on our freeriders and the BOMBING down the trail was amazing! If you like gradual and open riding then both Klondike Bluffs and Bartlett Wash are great. Gemini Bridges to me wasnt worth the trouble... so much more to ride than sand and gravel. Gold Bar Rim is great and you can connect to Poison Spider or head down the Portal Rim trail...with extreme caution of course. Moab Rim trail is great to COME DOWN but a real bitch to ride up/walk up.