Thread: Mayor Kills Plan For Soccer Stadium

Mayor Kills Plan For Soccer Stadium

Anyone care? Who is sick of hearing about this?

SALT LAKE CITY Calling it an ``unsafe investment,'' the mayor of Salt Lake County said Monday that he won't support $30 million in taxes for a professional soccer stadium, a fatal blow to Real Salt Lake's plan to move to the suburbs.

In Response, Real Salt Lake Owner Dave Checketts say his team will play its 2007 season in Salt Lake City, but he would begin reviewing his options for 2008.

Checketts says Corroon is looking out for his own political future.

He says he hasn't decided whether he will sell his team -- and says there are eight cities vying for a Major League Soccer franchise.

County Mayor Peter Corroon's announcement came three days after the county's Debt Review Committee recommended against spending $30 million in hotel taxes on the $110 million project.

The committee said Real Salt Lake's revenue projections from soccer and concerts were too optimistic.

``My decision is not about the popularity of soccer. It's about how we spend taxpayers' dollars,'' said Corroon, a Real season-ticket holder.

``This is an unsafe investment for the public,'' he said, calling it a ``gamble.''

Real has proposed a 20,000-seat stadium in Sandy, just south of Salt Lake City. The team has been around for two seasons and plays home games at the University of Utah. It created a buzz in December by acquiring Freddy Adu.

In August, Checketts, public officials and international soccer star David Beckham put ceremonial shovels in the ground to celebrate the stadium project, but there were no firm financial agreements at that time.

Corroon acknowledged Monday that the groundbreaking was premature.

He said the county still would build a parking garage with up to 1,000 spaces across from the stadium site.

``In the event Real is able to finance a stadium through other means, I would look forward to negotiating a favorable agreement for parking,'' Corroon said.

The team last month delivered internal financial documents to the county, insisting the public-private partnership would be favorable for taxpayers. Real said an arm of Goldman Sachs Group had agreed to take a 50-percent ownership stake.

In 2008, the first season in a new stadium, Real predicted it would average 15,400 fans at each game at $22.78 per ticket. Attendance would rise to 19,360 by 2013 when a ticket would cost $30.72, the team said.

Real said revenue from many sources, including tickets, parking, food, merchandise and stadium naming rights, should reach $28 million by 2013, a 71 percent increase over 2008.

Other financial opportunities not in the projections included money from TV broadcasts and other uses of the stadium.

But even using optimistic numbers provided by Real, ``the viability of the team and the proposal didn't make sense,'' Corroon said.

He gave the news to Checketts before a news conference. Corroon said the Real owner indicated he could sell the team by Friday if he wanted to.

Sandy Mayor Tom Dolan said he disagreed with Corroon's decision. Sandy had pledged $15 million to the project.

``We are sending a bad message to pro sports to say you're not welcome in our state,'' Dolan said.

Before making an recommendation last week, the county's Debt Review Committee read a study by a consulting firm that showed the stadium could generate $1.3 million to $1.8 million a year between 2008 and 2012. But construction debt and other loans would exceed $3 million a year.

One of the biggest contradictions between Real's plan and the consultant's study is the number of concerts.

Real's business model calls for a minimum of 11 shows a year, with the number increasing to 18 by 2013. The study, however, estimated that four to six would be more likely.

Real plays in Major League Soccer's smallest market. The team must move if it can't get a stadium built here, according to an agreement with the league.

House Speaker Greg Curtis, R-Sandy, who weeks ago declared the stadium plan was ``dead,'' said he would not try to broker another deal. He pushed legislation last year to allow the county to use hotel taxes for a stadium.

http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_029125819.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Soccer does not really interest me at all, so I am okay with the stadium not being built, but I know some of you guys are more vested in their outcome.

I'm not a big fan of using public money to pay for what is basically a private venture, so if I lived in Sandy I'd be very happy that it's not going to happen. Dave Checketts is claiming that politics got in the way, but to me it sounds as though the city made a wise financial decision based on the information presented to them.

Enough with the soccer field plans. They can't even fill up Rice-Eccles when they play there

When the world cup came to Los Angeles, I was offered a free ticket to go (while visiting a friend) and I just didn't care. After serving an LDS mission in Chile, I have learned what a big deal the world cup is (world wide) but soccer just honestly does not interest me. Now if a new stadium would some how get more people to a Grizzlies' game, I would be all for it.

What always seems to be left out of these discussions is the attendance for the games they did host in SLC. If the stadium was filled to the rafters, and they were turning folks away at the gate, then maybe a new, bigger stadium would make sense.

Anyone know the attendance numbers for the home games?

-Brian in SLC

I just read that SL City is now talking about putting the stadium at the state fair park in SLC. I think this location is 100x's better then the sandy or vineyard location.

Soccer is HUGE on the west side of SLC, all the parks are full of kids playing soccer every weekend, there is a huge amount of diversity on that side of the city, and if the tickets are priced right (not needing to pay off $130MM in loans), I think it would succeed.

If they pick that location, I hope they get the airport trax line built out sooner then originally planned. Trax to the stadium would be a huge help.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    Anyone know the attendance numbers for the home games?
    Averaged about 14,000 fans

Quote Originally Posted by shanehadman
    Enough with the soccer field plans. They can't even fill up Rice-Eccles when they play there

AMEN!!!

I hate soccer. I wish Real would dry up and blow away...

Don't expect me to pay taxes for a soccer stadium that only the freaky soccer geek minorities want!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Public funds should not support hare-brained schemes like this. If it's such a great plan, put together a private investors' group and git-r-done. If it's a sure thing, then there should be no fear. Plus, if it's a private enterprise it'll be more likely to make money.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Coyote
    Public funds should not support hare-brained schemes like this. If it's such a great plan, put together a private investors' group and git-r-done. If it's a sure thing, then there should be no fear. Plus, if it's a private enterprise it'll be more likely to make money.
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    Amen!

I'm having a heart attack right this minute.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Coyote
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGolfDivers
    Amen!

I'm having a heart attack right this minute.
    Breath in..... Breath out..... (wait that is the Lamaze method), turn your head and cough... wait that's not right either... oh ya, take an aspirin man, QUICK!
    Life is Good

HA! HA! I'm glad to read this latest article. Get that stupid soccer team outta my state!

Real SL Owner Expected to Talk to St. Louis Today
    February 6th, 2007 @ 6:00am
    Ashley Hayes Reporting

Real Salt Lake could get a formal offer as early as today to move to St. Louis.

Team officials won't comment. But the Deseret Morning News is reporting team owner Dave Checketts is expected to meet with officials from Simmons Cooper in St. Louis later today. An offer to purchase the team and details of where a soccer stadium could be built in St. Louis are expected to be laid out during the meeting.

In Utah, Senate Republicans are still debating whether to fund a soccer stadium. They spent two hours in discussions yesterday but still have not come to a conclusion.

Governor Huntsman says if a Friday deadline is not met, the team will move to St. Louis or Philadelphia.

At the same time, Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson has offered a plan B, that would help the team build a stadium at the State Fairpark. Tonight the City Council will consider the mayor's proposal, which calls for $12.5 million in city money. The money will come from several funds, which will be paid back through the future sale of surplus property, tax-increment funding and $1 million a year worth of promotions from the city.

The Sandy City Council will also meet today to pass a resolution saying they want the stadium built in Sandy and will help with finances surrounding the stadium.

The Utah House has passed a bill to use transient room taxes to pay for a parking garage for the stadium. But the Senate must move the bill forward and set aside the $15 million needed for the stadium. So far there is no Senate sponsor for that bill.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I actually just heard a rumor that the funds got approved last night to build the stadium.

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5187