Thread: Utah in April

Utah in April

I'm from the east and do all of my hiking in the White Mountains, NH so I have no knowledge of any western ranges or mountains to climb. I am coming to the Grand Canyon the end of April as part of a Hike for Discover for Cancer Research and want to extend my trip. I would like to venture into Utah and do some hiking. I do not have details as to where I am staying but probably will need to rent a car in Flagstaff or meet up with a friend. I was looking for some advice/thoughts on:

a/ what can I expect for wheather that time of year in Utah?
    b/ any summits in the southern part of state that will not be snow-covered? I really do not want to bring my crampons if I hike solo.
    c/ hiking in Zion appears to be interesting; any peaks not snow-covered? There appear to be many interesting trails throughout this park.
    d/perhaps I should be looking in AZ too?

Perhaps you link me to some websites which would be helpful.

Thanks, all comments welcome.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm sure you'll get many replies to these questions - there are some very knowledgable folks that live down that way that frequent this board.

Generally: Southern Utah in April is quite nice. Anything over 7,000 feet will probably still have snow. Not sure about canyoneering, if it's safe from snowmelt/water, someone will know that - Paria Canyon area is amazing and a quick drive from AZ. Zion is GREAT - Higher up may have a little ice in the shady spots, but should be ok. Observation Point hike is my favorite there.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Southern UT and northern AZ have generally pleasant weather in April, although variations are always possible. I'd suggest you not bring any climbing gear, as there are many, many hikes that will reward you with fantastic scenery without getting into high altitude. Some canyons would require ropes, but there are many that don't...just some good boots with sticky soles, even sneakers might work.
    Stan

Check out my photo gallery at www.pbase.com/sparker1

http://climb-utah.com/ is a great site!

Zion is awesome and you'll love it! I don't know if you enjoy slot canyons at all but I love the San Rafael Swells / Goblin Valley area. I do not think the area is as pretty as the Zion area, but there are tons of slot canyons and they are fabulous. Goblin Valley is also fun.

Re: Utah in April

Quote Originally Posted by SherpaTom
    I am coming to the Grand Canyon the end of April as part of a Hike for Discover for Cancer Research and want to extend my trip. I would like to venture into Utah and do some hiking.
    in order to give specifics, it'd be helpful to know how many days you're planning on coming out for? some folks like to spend as little time driving as possible. venturing into the different parts of utah can take lots of time, especially coming from the grand canyon. highways 89 give quick access into the lower(southern) grand staircase area and zion. there is lots in this area to do.

tanya, a member here, has set up a nice site compiling a large number of hikes in these areas, i.e zion/grand staircase

tanya's site

anyway, also do you like to concentrate in a particular area, or would you like to sample different areas? there really is too much to see, so if we knew your constraints, it could narrow down the scope of folks' suggestions ... of which i am sure there will be many.

one thing is for certain ... zion is stunning

Zion

First off, thanks to everyone that has posted...keep 'em coming. If I were asked ( I was) to concentrate on a particular area, I would have to say Zion. I would like to summit a mountain or two as I would probably have two days for day hikes before heading to Vegas for a day.

Is there a list of peaks in Utah? In NH there is the 4k' club... I know only 4k.

So in summary, a peak or two in Zion and also looking into Northern AZ as well as point between Flagstaff & Vegas.

Thanks

A couple peaks in Zion (these are sandstone peaks, not rocky mountain peaks)

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/ladymtn.htm

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/lodge.htm (Not sure if you can climb this one without descending lodge canyon (requires rope work).

http://climb-utah.com/Zion/guardian.htm

If you are interested in trails to high points in Zion, Angles Landing is a classic. Observation Point has a better view, but not as exciting of a trail.

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/trails.htm

peaks? sounds good. fyi, in utah it's not all necessarily about peaks ... if you like high points, they can be canyon rims, mesas, and what not. there are a number of good trail hikes to the canyon rim with spectacular views

but one excellent example of a "peak" in zion would be mountain of the sun ...

here's is tanya's link to it. note therein is a link to her photos if you're interested.
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-mos-peak.htm
    i am sure she'll chime in later with some good stuff for you.

tom jones' site as eric(shaggy) has pointed you to is great too (mostly canyoneering)

check the zion peaks at summitpost ... it has a plethora of information on different ascents

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range...at-l-park.html

Bogley BigShot

I'm from the east and do all of my hiking in the White Mountains, NH so I have no knowledge of any western ranges or mountains to climb. I am coming to the Grand Canyon the end of April as part of a Hike for Discover for Cancer Research and want to extend my trip. I would like to venture into Utah and do some hiking. I do not have details as to where I am staying but probably will need to rent a car in Flagstaff or meet up with a friend. I was looking for some advice/thoughts on:

a/ what can I expect for wheather that time of year in Utah?
    b/ any summits in the southern part of state that will not be snow-covered? I really do not want to bring my crampons if I hike solo.
    c/ hiking in Zion appears to be interesting; any peaks not snow-covered? There appear to be many interesting trails throughout this park.
    d/perhaps I should be looking in AZ too?

Perhaps you link me to some websites which would be helpful.

Thanks, all comments welcome.
    Hi Tom,

It's a shame Hwy 67 to the North Rim will still be closed in April. April is an odd month. It can be nice and warm or it can be snowing in and around Zion. Zion is awesome! So if you only have a couple of days and you are in this area, that's where you want to be. It does not sound like you are into canyoneering --- and you like peaks. It also sounds like you have never been to Zion National Park -- I have to suggest you do the classics of course like the well traveled Angels Landing.... having said that here is some off the beaten path suggestions for April in Zion.

Here is a list of moderate to Strenuous hiking in Zion.
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-hiking.htm

Stefan listed Mountain of the Sun -- and you can add Spry Canyon (not the technical section) and the Deertrap Petroglyphs.

Progeny Peak and Two Pines Arch is another fun one. I love the views from here.

Parunuweap Pass and out Gifford Canyon is fun.

Checkerboard Mesa Summit.

Mount Kinesava - also to petroglyphs -- but this one is iffy in April depending on ice on the slope up.

Grotto to Cabin Spring - West Rim - Hit Angels Landing --- If you have not been to Zion you have to do this one.

East Temple Saddle

Cockeye Falls

Bridge Mountain -- but sadly April is a bit early for this one and you would need a climber in the group.

Lady Mountain --- ice should be clear? Iffy on the weather but magnificent! It's best to have a climber in the group on Lady.

Aries Butte --- climbing/scrambling, rather than hiking. Should be okay in April, but its one where weather is important. Don't want to do it if there is snow where you are climbing.

If you were again coming a bit later... Canaan Mountain is my all time favorite hike. It is not in Zion, but its on the way to Zion from the GC.
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zio...n-mountain.htm There are a couple in Kolob that are nice, but April is too early for them.

From the top of Checkerboard Mesa

You need to modify your thinking if planning to hike Southern Utah.... while the summits are fun the real jewel are the slot canyons. People come from all over the world to Canyoneer the Colorado Plateau. Once you have experienced them you will be hooked. I think it would be a shame if you visited the area and didn't give the slots a try.

One last bonus..... April is a prime month for canyoneering.