Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Utah Plates To Be Available Next Year?

New Utah Plates To Be Available Next Year?

The new Utah license plate, available next year, features red rock petroglyphs along the top and a skier over the Wasatch Mountains in the center. The plate features the new slogan "Life Elevated" along with the classic phrase, "Greatest Snow On Earth."

Full Story: http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_026142937.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

here is a clearer image of the potentially new plate

couldn't find a better one of the new centennial plate.

i dunno ... not really jazzed about it

i like the content, just something about the layout and contrast

and "life elevated?"

I am with you Stefan. I don't really ski but I like the skiing part, I do hike to petroglyphs but I don't like the two of them together.

Call me crazy, but I like it.
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

Quote Originally Posted by KillEmAll
    Call me crazy, but I like it.
    You're crazy.

I like it, too. It's interesting.

I think the layout adds a third element to it: the shape of the top dark area (the curve/arch on the lower edge) along with the style of lettering for "UTAH" makes it look like something out of the old west - doorway to a saloon, sign over a ranch or graveyard gate, something like that. Subtle, but there.

Now I really like it...

Now I really like it...
    I was waiting for that one.

I wonder how well you will be able to notice the petroglyphs from a distance? Will it just look gold/brown?

Now I really like it...

niiiice ... so who will actually snag the 'uutah' plate ... sombeech?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I wonder how well you will be able to notice the petroglyphs from a distance? Will it just look gold/brown?
    I wondered that too, that's why I was thinking about the general shape vs. specific detail.

You threw me with the new avatar! Still doesn't look much like you...

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I just barely noticed that there ARE petroglyphs on the plate, so not too visible.

from most of the license plates i have currently seen, this one does seem kicked up as far as more realistic graphics go

by the way how the hell do the cops in this country keep all of these plates straight? utah alone has over 30

i don't have a photo of the back of this car, so the plate is inappropriately placed on the front of such a car (oh the horror)

I'll pass on the new plate.

I have no desire to be a tool for the chamber of commerce.

'Greatest Snow on Earth' is an advertisement, just like the current 'Ski Utah'.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with advertising, just pay me an appropriate amount and I'll be a rolling mini-billboard for the ski industry, but I ain't a gonna do it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    i don't have a photo of the back of this car, so the plate is inappropriately placed on the front of such a car (oh the horror)
    Nice! I like it. And the Japanese couple in the background really seem to like it as well.

I like the new one with the skiier and petroglyphs, I love the contrast. Not too crazy about "Life elevated" though, not sure why.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

"Life Elevated" is our new state slogan. It is supposed to attract more people to Utah, but it doesn't really do it for me.

Nice design
    My favorite state motto is, "Live Free Or Die".... New Hampshire

I like Ohio's "With God all things are possible".

New Utah license plate advances in Senate
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A new Utah license plate was given preliminary approval Monday by the Senate, 26-0-3.
    SB73, sponsored by Senate Majority Whip Dan Eastman, R-Bountiful, would replace the state's 22-year-old "Ski Utah" plate with a new design featuring petroglyph-decorated rocks and a skier.
    The plate keeps the familiar "Greatest Snow on Earth" slogan but adds "Life Elevated," the phrase at the center of a new state branding campaign. The bill would also add "Life Elevated" to the brightly colored license plate originally designed for the state's centennial.
    The bill must pass in a final Senate vote before advancing to the House. Eastman said the new plates likely wouldn't be available until early next year.
    Eastman said Utahns would not be required to replace their existing license plates.

House approves use of 'Life Elevated' plates
    Deseret News

A measure that would change Utah's old "Ski Utah" license plate to one that has the slogan "Life Elevated" passed 46-24 out of the House on Monday.

SB73 instructs the state Division of Motor Vehicles to begin issuing the new plates once it has run out of stock of the "Ski Utah" plate.

The bill's House sponsor, Rep. Roger Barrus, R-Centerville, said that within a few years, he would like to see only one license plate being distributed by the state. "I think this is a real attractive improvement to our license plates in the state," he said.

Rep. Neil Hansen, D-Ogden, said during debate that he felt it would be better to include a different slogan on the state license plate, something such as "This is the place."

"Looking at the whole of the state, I think 'This is the place' is something where people can be proud of the whole state."

The measure will now go to the governor for his approval.

Surprise opposition emerges to Utah's new license plate
    PAUL FOY - The Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY -- The new license plate design didn't go over well in the Utah House.

Representatives voted 46-24 on Monday for the redesign, a surprise given the Senate's unanimous vote almost two weeks earlier.

Few members voiced any criticism, leading the House sponsor to believe many of his colleagues were teasing him by initially voting against the design. But no votes changed during the roll call.

"I heard a couple of them later in the hallway saying, 'I would have designed it differently,' " said Rep. Roger Barrus, R-Centerville.

The new plate features what some have called a split personality -- a reddish-brown depiction of ancient rock art across the top, and a blue and white image of Olympic skier Heidi Volker of Park City against a snowy Wasatch background below.

The top third looks like it's "covered with mud," The Salt Lake Tribune said in a recent editorial. "Adding the state's dopey new slogan, "Life Elevated," won't be an improvement, either."

Barrus said "Life Elevated" was important to Gov. Jon Huntsman, who unveiled it nearly a year ago as a new advertising slogan for Utah.

To keep the trade group Ski Utah happy, he said, the bottom of the new plate keeps the phrase "Greatest Snow on Earth." The new general-issue plate will be out in about a year, after the state exhausts its warehouse supply of other license plates.

The state also will make a change to the familiar orange Delicate Arch license plate, issued to celebrate Utah's 1996 centennial, which will lose a "Centennial" label in favor of "Life Elevated."

"Utah needs updated license plates. Now is a good time to promote Utah as 'Life Elevated,' " Huntsman spokesman Mike Mower has said.

Barrus said the new design isn't cast in stone.

"This is basically the concept plate," he said, showing a sample. "Some things may change."

I like the old Idaho plates:

FAMOUS POTATOES!