Thread: lost canyon

lost canyon

finally got some pics from here. really nice canyon w/ really nice slots and hiking opportunities. hard to get out of though from what i've experienced.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

nice jason,

that last shot looks really cool

good meetin' ya.

Excellent stuff! Nice photos - got any more details or pics? When? With? Part of the Christmas batch you posted about recently?

I saw the very bottom of Lost Canyon (hiked up about half a mile in May) from Dark Canyon. Wasn't nearly so slot-like, but apparently a lot hotter than your trip!

DETAILS?

Is this the Lost Canyon that is part of the Dark Canyon Complex?

How much rope? Any other helpful hints?

Nice pictures, looks really interesting.

You bolted it right?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    DETAILS?

Is this the Lost Canyon that is part of the Dark Canyon Complex?
    Gotta be:

Quote Originally Posted by The caption for 002.jpg
    on the ridge separating dark canyon from white canyon, looking down on lost canyon
    C'mon, goofball, give us more!

That is a massive dump you just took.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869

That is a massive dump you just took.
    yeah, well, that chokstone i slung kept rolling around. thought it was gonna roll free about 1/2 way down. scared the poo outta me. NOT !

i did this in summer when it was 115. this time it was only 25 or so. meant to do long but totally screwed up the gap approach.

memory was not very clear on this one either. but it is lost canyon that drains into dark. here is the start of the slot -

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...25&size=l&s=50

we came in off the road right at the very head. starts so-so, but gets interesting quick. optional rap of 20' comign that way. we hooked a B A R.

it starts in earnest just right where lost makles that sharp 90 north. we built a dead man for a ~20', then slung that chok stone for a ~40' followed by a ~10' (could dc this maybe). so to combine these 2 either pull cord a 100' rope or double a 200'. water could hold here, but not very deep evidently. around the corner from "the dump" we slung a tree for a 10', but this can be dc'ed definitely to the left of teh water course down a short steep ramp of 10' followed by a 6' drop to sand beside a pool that can be waist deep (was in summer). then it opens for a short bit until a 30' drop back in into slot. we didn't do that as it was full on dark and freezing ass cold. if my crummy memory serves me right, after that it's a lengthy, tight, walker. 2-4' wide, for a ways w/ maybe 1 more drop to dc/rap.

short canyon but pretty. once out of slot the 1st junction has a cool little bridge over the water course if you go upcanyon 50 yards or so. dc in lost is a nice walk in a continually depening canyon until it hits dark canyon. at that 1st junction after it opens you can gain a bench above and walk back the same way.

a few more pics here.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/557093192Niwuen

sorry, i'm not good at "formal" assesments or write ups. but if anyone wants to go cheeck this out and do one it is a very nice, fun, short slot that would make a really fun hike about as well.
    signature

Thanks for the Beta.

Knowing location, gear (ropes) required and any special dangers works great for me