Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: other places

other places

so in breaking the utah-centric mold for a moment, where else have you visited or frequented that you found just as spectacular as teh greatest state on earth - aka utah ?

when i lived in oklahoma i frequented the wichita mountains quite a bit, as well as teh arkansas ozarks. both beautiful palces. the vast majority of time i wander sans camera, but here are a few shots for those others who love to look at pictures. that is why i liek this site so much, well layed out and full of visuals. (although, to be honest, some of the visuals are entirely overdressed )

http://community.webshots.com/user/ochiker
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

the northcoast of california ... traveled there many times, even lived there for a bit. the largest tracts of old growth redwoods are up there, adjacent to a spectacular coast with wild beaches, cliffs and seastacks.

one of my very favorite places on earth. one special trail to me is damnation creek which leads down 1000 vertical feet to a secluded beach with rocky cliffs. even has a free standing rock sea arch which regularly gets crashed with waves and burried by tides.

here are two virtual 3-dimensional views of what the redwood forest is like on these trails. these pages open up in quicktime and, with your cursor, you can rotate the image about as if you are turning your body.

http://virtualguidebooks.com/NorthCa...ilHigh_FS.html
    http://virtualguidebooks.com/NorthCa...eFerns_FS.html

in fact if you would like to look at his other virtual images you can find them here

http://virtualguidebooks.com/

The Oregon Coast...
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    The Oregon Coast...
    i agree!!

try this view on for size

http://virtualguidebooks.com/Oregon/...tTrail_FS.html

Another vote here for the Oregon coast!

I have also visited Black Sand Beach in Hawaii, and the coastlines of Ecuador (San Vicente, Ballanita, and Salinas), some of the most gorgeous beaches I've ever seen!

Where's Scott these days? He's bound to talk a blue streak about all of the cool non-Utah places he's been.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin

Where's Scott these days? He's bound to talk a blue streak about all of the cool non-Utah places he's been.

part of the christmas present was to go to the andes to do a hike with the wife (and son?). i don't remember how long he was gonna be gone for but i am sure he'll have some good photos when he returns (he be'er!!)

another place ...

meteora, greece

where 300-900 year old orthodox monasteries perch on towering rock monoliths

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Heyyyy, that's the Elvish city from Lord of the Rings.

Just outside of Seattle...
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    another place ...

meteora, greece

where 300-900 year old orthodox monasteries perch on towering rock monoliths

wow. WAY cool.

love those shots of the west coast. have visited teh pacific nw before and those beaches are nice. not the the tar and jellyfish infested gulf coast from my youth. craggy and rocky and tide pools full of starfish and mussels and anemones and such.
    signature

Some of my favourite areas from my own backyard:

The Squamish-Cheakamus divide, with the Tantalus range in the background. Taken from Brandywine Mountain:

The Chilliwack Valley has some beautiful mountains, including the Canadian and American Border Peaks (the 49th parallel crosses between the two peaks on the left) and Mount Larrabee:

Upper Joffre Lake, an hour or so north of Whistler, and a 3 hour hike in. Gorgeous lake at the foot of the Matier Glacier. (Not the best picture quality - old scans from old photos.) I carried the 3 year old up 3/4 of the way, he hiked the rest. I had to carry the digger:

Yeah, I like mountains...

nice photos cirrus!!

Beautiful! Everyone around here seems to go to Hawaii in winter, but I've never been. One of these days...

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    The Oregon Coast...
    Those are really beautiful photos! What time of the year were you there visiting?
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Beautiful! Everyone around here seems to go to Hawaii in winter, but I've never been. One of these days...
    ...I'll be ANYONES' personal travel agent/tour guide!! I can take you anywhere in the islands youd want to go!

Here's a few places. Sorry for the small pics, that's the size they are in my yahoo albums apparently.

There are Yosmite, Virgin Islands, The Alps (Swiss) and Alaska Inside Passage. I dont have any photos easily accessible of the interior, unfortunately. Sorry about the tiny size, that's how they went into my yahoo photos and I just copied them from there.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

nice shots cirrus. i've got a brother in sequim, wa. have hiked some in the olympics and really want to hit the cascades some year. and those canadian rockies seem magnificent.

and treehugger - where in ak were you ? i've been 1/2 ass trying to get to gates of the arctic for a month backcountry the last few years, but of course it never flies. *sigh* although grizzlies scare me almost as much as cougars.
    signature

Mtnman1830 wrote:
    The Oregon Coast...

Those are really beautiful photos! What time of the year were you there visiting?
    It was mid July, last year.

btw, don't pump your own gas in Oregon. You could get fined.
    - Edward Abbey