Thread: Evil Leprechaun Canyons. Pics!!

Evil Leprechaun Canyons. Pics!!

Well,

I needed to get out, so it was okay that no one wanted to go. I drove through the crazy snow and blowing on Friday night. The weather was bad bad. Most everyone was driving about 25-40 mph. I made it to the Leprechaun trailhead in about 4 hours. AWD is awesome. The snow kept up until I was about 10 miles out of Hanksville. Then it was like someone pulled back the cloud curtain. Nothing but black sky and stars. It was beautiful . . and cold.

My new down bag from REI kept me nice and toasty, and I woke up ready to do some canyoneering the next morning. It was cold, but I managed to put my stuff together and hit the trail. I took a load of climbing gear, a sleeping bag, and pretty much everything that Aaron Ralston wishes he would have had. Big mistake. I also noticed about a half mile into the hike that I still had my wallet in my back pocket. The hike up to the drop in went well enough. *It's importatant to stay high on the ridge.

I descended Middle Leprechaun first. I started thinking that I had too much gear long before I even dropped in. I had no idea what I was in for. That canyon is TIGHT. Middle Lep is the tightest, most physically demanding canyon I've been down, especially with a 15-20 pound bag. It's brutal on your clothes and gear. It makes Alcatraz look like it's made of marshmallows.

A minute or two before the confluence of Left and Middle I reached back and noticed that my wallet was gone. One of those bastard leprechauns must have pulled my wallet out of that huge hole that had worn in my pocket. I hate those little guys.

Well, since I couldn't get home with out filling up, I had to go back and get my wallet. Leprechauns are good at going up canyon, but they can't descend for crap. I decided it would be best to start at the top and work my way down. Also, I didn't know how far up the little bastard was. I hurried through the dark part of the canyon* and headed back up the trail. This time I only took my camera, *25 feet of 1/2 inch webbing, my helmet, and a gatorade. I put a cliff bar in my other back pocket so I could try to trick the leprechaun.

Sure enough I found my wallet, and the walls of the canyon are now coverd in green leprechaun blood. It kind of felt good to kill a little creature that was less than half my size. He put all his money in a Capitol One savings account, so there was no pot of gold. They're getting sneakier and sneakier.

When I got to the confluence, I took out the beta (thanks Shane) and considered the "escape route" up the ridge between Middle and Left.* I wanted to finish of the Leprechaun canyons so up I went. Kinda scary. I can't think of any good reason to go up that ridge unless you're just trying to do both forks in one go.

Down the Left I went. It was fun enough. The 25 feet of webbing was plenty. Pretty fun little canyon, and nowhere near the brutality of the middle fork.

Now the goodies:

The solo canyoneer.

Skinny Canyon

I can't quite get one as good as my imlay shot, but this one is about as close as I've come.

Those look like some abercrombie pants, but they're GAP. And they were not worn at all when entered the canyon.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Awesome that you went! Great Trail Report and even better personality

Nice TR, I guess that's why I still haven't been down Middle Lep, I've heard too many stories about those leprechauns. Glad you smeared one all over the canyon, they deserve to die!

Eric.

Wow dude are you officially in the Subaru fan club now?

Nice report, I bet it was fulfilling to go through all that and drive back unscathed. What was the temps like?

It was cool hooking up for lunch the other day...

Geez! And I thought HDH busted my butt. I think I need to slim down the winter lbs and invest in knee pads and elbow pads before I commit to that one. X that one out for this weekend Shagg unless you want to hear every combination of profane and vulgar explitives that have ever been uttered in the same sentence. Something about tight canyons that loose the foul mouth

Nice TR, thanks!

So, a 43" chest is out of the question, huh? I guess that DQ's my 44" one. Dang. Oh well. How about the left fork? Would I fit OK? I've done the right fork before.

Also, noticed you sportin' a PT Eos. . . very nice light. I picked up a Quad and then decided I needed an Eos, too. The Quad is my favorite but the Eos is top notch--different uses for each.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    Geez! And I thought HDH busted my butt. I think I need to slim down the winter lbs and invest in knee pads and elbow pads before I commit to that one. X that one out for this weekend Shagg unless you want to hear every combination of profane and vulgar explitives that have ever been uttered in the same sentence. Something about tight canyons that loose the foul mouth
    aww reedus ... guaranteed ... you'll love this canyon

Quote Originally Posted by utidcapaco
    Nice TR, thanks!

So, a 43" chest is out of the question, huh? I guess that DQ's my 44" one. Dang. Oh well. How about the left fork? Would I fit OK? I've done the right fork before.

Also, noticed you sportin' a PT Eos. . . very nice light. I picked up a Quad and then decided I needed an Eos, too. The Quad is my favorite but the Eos is top notch--different uses for each.
    Nah, you can do it. Just plan on a lot of stemming. My first run through was 2.5 hours car to almost car, and 1 hourish the next run. If you're stemming the whole time, you'll want to double that.

The Eos is sweet. I've purchased 6 of them since i discovered them. Take a lickin and keep on tickin, practically usable underwater, and super bright. Good lights. I keep two in the car at all times. One in the house for emergencies.

Price

and invest in knee pads
    Knee pads are for chicks

Nice TR

I thought that too until I came out with raspberries all over my elbows and knees from HDH. Shag made me a believer after we did Misery in Zions.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    and invest in knee pads
    Knee pads are for chicks

Nice TR
    Good thing I have no pride. I love my Asics gel knee pads. They were skin savers in Trail a couple of weeks ago. Wouldn't leave home without them. Always fun to see the sports store folks' faces when a middle aged man walks in looking for wrestling knee pads to hike in. HUH??
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Always fun to see the sports store folks' faces when a middle aged man walks in looking for wrestling knee pads to hike in.
    Hike In!

Is that what you tell them? I'm sure the sports store folks are used to selling knee pads to middle aged men on their way to the Gay Pride Parade.

Hey, I have nice legs and knees big boy and I want to protect them.
    Life is Good

I have heard reports that a 50 foot rappel, and an 80 foot rappel is required for middle Lep. Is that true? Did you rappel at all Price? If so, how much rope is required?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    I have heard reports that a 50 foot rappel, and an 80 foot rappel is required for middle Lep. Is that true? Did you rappel at all Price? If so, how much rope is required?
    Umm . . .

I don't recommend this, but I had just a 35' piece of webbing. It required some downclimbs. you need something for the right fork, but honestly, if necessity required it, you could do middle or left with your arms and legs. Take a 60' rope and some slings. you'll be fine.

Price