Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: veyo volcano anyone?

veyo volcano anyone?

Hi. Anyone here hiked up Veyo volcano outside St. George? Looks interesting. Wondering if there is a trail/trailhead/recommended parking. thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Welcome! Do you live in Veyo or nearby?

Hi. Live in Washington. Looking for some nice winter day hikes in the area. Thought Veyo would be fun. Any recommendations? thanks!

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by mfshop
    Hi. Live in Washington. Looking for some nice winter day hikes in the area. Thought Veyo would be fun. Any recommendations? thanks!
    I hike a lot in the Zion area, but not much out in Veyo. Here is my list of Zion Trails I like to do in the winter.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/snow.htm

I know its warmer in they Veyo area, but I also head out to Paria Canyon a lot in the winter.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/coy...ttes-paria.htm

Welcome to the forum. Are you referring to the cinder cone outside Snow Canyon? If so I have done this hike to the top but not down into the cone. It's pretty neat with a lot of loose cinder ash, the last scramble to the top is pretty wild. Terrific views back into Snow Canyon.
    Please let me know if your're referring to another one.

Win

The Cinder Cone:

Looking back to Snow Canyon:

Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Hi all! Thanks for the info.

Tanya - great website. Looks like you've been almost everywhere in Zion. I'll have to try some of those hikes.

Win - I was referring to the volcano right outside Veyo. But will definitely have to check out the cinder cone now. Nice pics.

I have hiked up the cinder cone out side of Snow Canyon. It is like hiking up a steep hill on ball bearings. Glad that I did it once, probably will not do it again. Another option in the same area would be hiking to the top of the red mountain that over looks the town of Ivins. It is about the same technical difficulty.

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by mfshop
    Hi all! Thanks for the info.

Tanya - great website. Looks like you've been almost everywhere in Zion. I'll have to try some of those hikes.

Win - I was referring to the volcano right outside Veyo. But will definitely have to check out the cinder cone now. Nice pics.

Thanks

You must live in St. George?

Blog Entries
    yea...that cinder cone outside of Snow Canyon is quite the beast...my legs were burning climbing up...geez. And I don't get that a lot. Also, on the way back down, be very careful not to trip or slice your legs on the lava rocks. My g/f and buddies of mine were playing commandos on the way down and I was going way too fast and someone in front of me stopped and I tripped over him and got a nice leg gash by a razor shop lava rock! That cut wouldn't stop burning for over an hour! I poured lots of water on it to clean it...nope, still burned. Finally I got the idea of pouring Hydrogen Peroxide. That worked, but that was almost worst especially when half my leg was scraped up....so yeah...don't do trip!

And I have done the volcano near Veyo too. There isn't a trail really. Just a lot of scrambling - 1 step forward, literally 2 back. Very frustrating but fun nontheless.

Oh hey also, in Snow Canyon State Park, as you know, they removed the lava tubes/caves from their maps but they are 3 major ones within the park and can give ya a map if ya like. But, to the direct north of the cinder cone, is a large lava field and that is fun to explore. My friend and I did that for a few hours on Saturday and probably found another 3+ lava tubes - and a really cool lava arch. You should check that out too and take pics!

Thanks, Jman, good report. I'll have to check out the tubes by the Cinder Cone. If I remember correctly there's a wash just below the cone, the tubes would be a bit North of that?

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Win
    Thanks, Jman, good report. I'll have to check out the tubes by the Cinder Cone. If I remember correctly there's a wash just below the cone, the tubes would be a bit North of that?

Win
    I know the the wash (at the base of the cinder cone on the west side) you are talking about - my friends and I did some exploring there and nothing is there - except for the lava fields - but no tubes. The cool lava rock arch I was telling you about earlier - is actually found north west of the cindercone, 20 feet away from the road (and actually you can see it from the road). Just take a hour or so and do some exploring in that area. Nothing too spectacular - but still pretty fun - especially that arch (almost in in a grotto).

great PETROGLYPHS right across the road from the cinder cone just outside of Snow canyon, too. Park on the bend right where the road turns into
    Diamond Valley. From there, walk the main highway 18 to the bridge just around the bend. You will see a drainage that can really roar like a beast through the park when flash flooding. Get into the drainage facing Snow Canyon. From there, it is a short, 200 yard walk/scramble down the smooth basalt lined wash til it peters out. Look constantly on the right hand walls and you will see some very old petroglyphs of snakes and such

Great little outing for kids. The smooth basalt almost turns blonde colored from all the water flow from eons past. Retrace your steps or jump out of the wash and head northerly into a small alcove where it is rumored that Kit Carson's men supposedly camped outside of town waiting for his arrival/meet up place. It never happened and they broke camp and headed north. They supposedly initialed some lava rocks in the area. But, I've never found them.

You are on some park property, at times. Winter quarters area. Do not hike around too much. Erosion, etc. etc. rules, etc. The park really won't mind if you are in the drainages, though. The next rain will wash away your presence.

Cheers!

Oh, Veyo Volcano? I've parked alongside the roadway just before it drops down into Veyo, on the bend. From there, walk across the rocks and begin your scramble. Near the top, it's like mentioned above:
    Five paces forward and three back as you walk up RED marbles. Really neat because it is RED and not BLACK as the SNow Canyon cinder is.
    There is a GPS summit marker nailed to the rocks at the top.

Have a great hike! Get back down before the sun drops, though. Walking on jagged basalt in the dark is NOT fun. Dim there dumb that.
    me...
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rented mule
    great PETROGLYPHS right across the road from the cinder cone just outside of Snow canyon, too. Park on the bend right where the road turns into
    Diamond Valley. From there, walk the main highway 18 to the bridge just around the bend. You will see a drainage that can really roar like a beast through the park when flash flooding. Get into the drainage facing Snow Canyon. From there, it is a short, 200 yard walk/scramble down the smooth basalt lined wash til it peters out. Look constantly on the right hand walls and you will see some very old petroglyphs of snakes and such.
    I heard about those...so THAT's where they are huh? hmm...you got any pics?

...The next rain will wash away your presence.
    hahahahaha....since when does it rain in St. George? j/k

Blog Entries
    here is a pic of that arch...although you can't see it too well cause the angle....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks, Jman!
    D'oh! no pics. I pulled out one of the hundred discs of photos and it was marked wrong. So, I guess I will have to go down there and get some
    as soon as I can heal up from Meniscus knee surgery scheduled for this coming Monday. Ouch!
    There are other petroglyphs in the winter quarter's area, as well. But, I have to get special hiking/scrambling permission from the park to get there. And, that is getting tougher and tougher by the year to do.
    Stay on the approved trails only, etc. They will work with me though.
    As long as I inform, get approval, check in and check out again.
    But the ones in the lava flow deep wash are a gem that is right alongside the roadway. Cheers!
    "Just waiting for a sip of that sweet Mojave rain"
    The Killers

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Jman!
    D'oh! no pics. I pulled out one of the hundred discs of photos and it was marked wrong. So, I guess I will have to go down there and get some
    as soon as I can heal up from Meniscus knee surgery scheduled for this coming Monday. Ouch!
    There are other petroglyphs in the winter quarter's area, as well. But, I have to get special hiking/scrambling permission from the park to get there. And, that is getting tougher and tougher by the year to do.
    Stay on the approved trails only, etc. They will work with me though.
    As long as I inform, get approval, check in and check out again.
    But the ones in the lava flow deep wash are a gem that is right alongside the roadway. Cheers!
    geez - I hope your knee gets fully healed. I haven't experienced this - but I'd imagine a blown knee or leg injury would just ruin all the fun...at least for me. There goes running in the mornings, and my mountain hikes 1x/week....
    Anywho...I'm not familiar with the Winter Quarters area (besides the one in Omaha Nebraska...heh). Any info on that?

Ha ha. Thanks for digging up this old thread, Tanya. Yes, I live in Washington.

Reminds me that I never did get back to Veyo, but the cinder cone was way cool. Having too much fun mtn biking these days, but now I've GOT to do that hike. THis month for sure!

I just dug up a REAL old thread. Are these the same caves? Maybe not.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I just dug up a REAL old thread. Are these the same caves? Maybe not.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136
    I'm not which caves you are referring to in THIS thread - if so, the ones I mentioned in Snow Canyon that are NOT listed anymore are the ones in that thread that you revived.

BUT there are other ones directly north west of the cinder cone, just pass snow canyon state park...and those are on public land - but I have NEVER seen anyone go in there for the 2 years I lived down there...

On Saturday it was off to the Kayenta Art Festival to see if we could break last years spending record. I'm pleased to report we came nowhere near it with a total outlay of $35.00, two pair of earings and a coffee for the wife.

While in the area we shot over to look for RM's wash and the petroglyphs. Good beta and we were off down the wash. We went only as far as the second set, pretty cool. Thanks for the info.

Win

Looking up the wash:

Petroglyphs: