Thread: Looking for a spot to cast a fly near St George next week

Looking for a spot to cast a fly near St George next week

Does anyone know of a place to spend some time using a fly rod near St George. I have never fished in southern Utah and would like some ideas if someone cares. Or something to shoot at that has long ears?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

No one has any ideas what I can do in St George... Geocaching for sure. Maybe putting fur into the wind. Bending my rod! maybe??

*Married and 3 kids... not trolling for moths.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekstrap
    *Married and 3 kids... not trolling for moths.

Crab buffet at Mandalay Bay? Eyeball a few...

We usually have the mtn bikes on the back when we are down that way. I am really not sure that there is ANY place to fly fish. There are a couple reservoirs...float tube.

Any one else???

This time of the year, the only place that I fly fish is on the Colorado River at Lees Ferry, when I am staying in St George. The last few times that I have gone there, the quality of fish have really gone downhill. You can fly fish the ponds in the Dixie downs area off of Snow canyon Drive near the Ball fields or the pond near Pioneer Park just north of the Blvd. I have caught bass and trout in the winter pulling streamer patterns such as black and olive woolly buggers. As far as rabbit hunting, I have hunted near Virgin just off the highway. You can hunt south of the airport in Hurricane. The last couple of years, I have hunted in the Enterprise area and West of Cedar city near the rocket fuel plant.

Sand hollow is pretty cool. I've never fished it this time of year nor with a fly rod, but it is the only place that I've fished near St George. Take some streamers and wooly buggers.