Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Announces iPhone (Live Feed from Macworld)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

oh boy.

I'm sure this will sell like crazy. But it's like what they say about people below the Poverty Line. A higher percentage of these "low income" people have Plasma TVs, Razr cell phones, blackberries, XBox 360s; than "middle class" people.

This will be one more phone that the low income people will buy, that's better & more expensive than my phone.

Here is the live feed from Macworld for anyone interested.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/l...-jobs-keynote/

Internet in your pocket....that's cool!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I have been shopping around for a smart phone for the last few months. This is now on the top of my list. I cant wait until June. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gardner
    I have been shopping around for a smart phone for the last few months. This is now on the top of my list. I cant wait until June. :D
    of 2008 i would hope.

Not trying to be a "Negative Nancy" but most 1st gen or First release of Apple products always have issues.
    So unless you has disposabled income, or you live for dancing around apples customers service trying too to get what you paid for... your best off waiting.

1st gen of all products always have issues... but I'm not sure I would really call this a 1st gen product. Its using osx for the software and ipod technology for the hardware. My only concern is the fragility of the big screen. I'm sure there will be a dozen cases available within a week of the launch.

As for apple tech support? I have never had an issue with my iMac or my iBook, I am on my 3rd iPod tho, my first one broke after a few dozen nasty falls over 3 years of use. My 2nd one started having hard drive issues after 11 months of daily use, I walked over to the Apple store and had a brand new iPod in my hand in under 10 minutes. I learned my lesson and purchased a rubber skin for this one. :)

I have been putting off the purchase of a 'smart phone' for a few months, ever sense rumors of this phone have been hitting the blogosphere. Watching the keynote yesterday floored me. This is going to be my business phone, love the web / push email and txt features that the iPhone will have, could care less for the ipod features of the device... I can run my whole business anywhere in the world with this phone.

June 2007 it is. :D

Good for you!

Mine did not last long and they refused to replace it. I know plenty of people that have/had Ipod issue that were not covered under their warranty. Batterires that last a year, broken screens, One Shuffle even melted (no joke).
    Some were replaced.. most were not.
    But I do know a few people who have had ipods for years with no issues at all.

What? No GPS......
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

i'm w/ Joe
    i'll be jones'n till june.

All of the BlackBerry yuppies have a big frown on their face right now.

"As soon as my 2 year contract expires, I'm gettin' one of those!"

It's definitely a nice phone.

Let me guess... proprietary power and usb cables right?
    Its a sweet phone, I have found that whenever I spend more than $50 on phone it NEVER lasts over 60 days.
    Then I end up with a free junker that will last for a year or two... go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Let me guess... proprietary power and usb cables right?
    yeah, they get you along those lines, but as long as they are revolutionzing the way people approach technology, sounds somewhat reasonable to me.

i was raised on the original macintosh when my father bought it in early 1984 ... apple brought to the public a simple, stable and functional operating system using GUI/desktop environment and today continues to improve upon it with simplicity in mind. Microsoft copied this immediately and continues to copy OS X to this day. though i still use the command line interface and x-windows for some stuff, OSX rocks.

the ipod has clearly changed the way we approach DAPs.

this iphone is simply another example of apple's pure genius.

while i won't deny that there are issues with their batteries(not only apple though), some of their displays, and some of their customer service, you must give apple SERIOUS props for thinking outside the box, thinking SIMPLE, and for coming up with INGENIOUSLY functional and forward thinking software/hardware.

while this iPhone is expensive, it will soon enough come to define the standard ...

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    example of apple's pure genius.
    The phone is pretty cool, no doubt.

There has never been anything special about the ipods compared to any other DAP in the market. Apple's marketing was so effective most people don't even know there are other brands MP3 players on the market.
    When ever a new model or even a new color of an ipod is released I know about it by 8am because every news station is talking about it.

Anyone ever heard of Archos? They also make great A/V players with less file restrictions, audio, video, wifi, touch screens... but no phone.

helmet cam for a portable video player/recorder.

This never made the news, but the new pink nano sure did.

Its only a matter of time before someone else can compete with the Iphone. Until then the Cisco.. i mean the Apple Iphone looks pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    There has never been anything special about the ipods compared to any other DAP in the market.
    uhh ... that's highly debatable. at inception iPod was special, smaller hard drives with large capacity. having column views and scroll wheel, ipod simplified the used of DAP at that time and made interfacing with computer software amazingly simple and seamless ... and of course elegance. a lot of points can be made thereafter ... i wouldn't dismiss it so quickly, though i am not too interested in debating it either

but you are correct about the effect of locking people in. +/- to be sure. only time will tell. one aspect i really like about emusic.

i do think iTunes is an ingenious way of managing many gigs of music though, even though it does have a couple of small restrictions or conformations that annoy the hell out of me.