Thread: my take on the helmet cam...

my take on the helmet cam...

Here are some biking videos I've put together over the past couple of years. I'm just finally getting around to building the website, so still a work in progress. All shot with a Canon MiniDv camera strapped to my cranium. The top 2 vids are by far my favorites...so check em out if you get a chance.

www.vaportrails.us/videos.html

Beau

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: my take on the helmet cam...

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
    All shot with a Canon MiniDv camera strapped to my cranium.
    can you post a pic of your setup?
    The video is friggin nice; great color and resolution.

daaam, they really changed the trailhead area of Adams Canyon since I was a wee lad......we used to "ski" down that sandy gulch in a straightshot.
    loved the wipeout.....lol....can't edit those out
    I used to be concerned about my apathy, but now I don't care anymore.

Good stuff, great resolution.

This is why I've been thinking of having a download option for my stuff as well, because honestly, YouTube sucks for helmetcam material.

I've seen my crystal clear footage be degraded to Atari 2600 pixels on YouTube.

I think I will put my original footage on this server, and put a download link right next to the YouTube embedded files.

Nice work.

Thanks!

Appreciate the kind words...

My camera setup is pretty redneck. I bought a cheap helmet when I was staioned in Korea, used some epoxy putty to form a flat base on one side, Dremeled out a wall electric box to protect the camera, then offset the weight with an old tube filled with bullets and fishing weights. Duct tape included. Takes some getting used to, but works decent. I will probably upgrade to a smaller camera this summer though. Here are a couple shots of the setup.

Glad you're posting the hi-res videos for us to enjoy Somebeech.

Beau
    Attached Images Attached Images   

So, special lens? Or is that just a protective cover?

Seems like a lot of people are going with the actual camcorder on the helmet. Looks a lot easier than having cables running everywhere like I do.

wide angle lens

That is a wide angle lens I bought to get a better view. Adds a little weight, but I like the shot better.

yeah, that does give a nice shot. how much was it?

Great videos!

That camera setup is insane! I can't imagine its very comfortable after the first few miles. :D

Yeah...that setup is not the most professional looking, but it works well. It actually gets more comfortable the longer you wear it. Or maybe my cranium just goes numb and I don't feel it anymore You should have seen the looks I got from the Koreans with it...being white and riding mtn bikes was weird enough for them. I'll probably end up getting a smaller camera soon though!

do you guys have some thread here or posts where you explain helmet cams?
    I used to be concerned about my apathy, but now I don't care anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer
    do you guys have some thread here or posts where you explain helmet cams?
    I do, but I've got to update it, showing my new camcorder:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2705

Awesome videos Beau... I keep thinking about rigging a bracket for the top of the helmet to avoid having to use counterweights.. not sure exactly what I'm going to do though. Maybe I can have the guys at work machine something for me :) I love the picture quality of the actual camera instead of the lipstick cams.

Keep it up!

Ian

Ian...check out Wherewolf's helmet setup at http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/video/HelmetCam.htm . That is probably a good start for you. I decided to stick with the side-mount while in Korea due to all the overgrowth and trees. I was hitting my head all the time over there. Top mount would be better for Utah, but I'm too lazy to do the work all over again.

You guys done that sledding trip yet?

Beau