Thread: OutdoorZen.org

OutdoorZen.org

OutdoorZen.org has been updated to include Arscenic and Slideanide. Available on the North Wash page.

http://www.outdoorzen.org/site/beta/north-wash.html

Happy new year!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bump!

Had a little time, so I have added a couple of short canyons in Arches to www.outdoorzen.org . Check em' out.

Bounty is highly recommended. If full of water, as we found it, this is THE place to spend a hot afternoon in Arches. The exit hike is mostly shady.

These are great, casual, and beautiful canyons.

great!! thanks for the update

note: deserthiker's site can always be found in the beta section of the canyoneering links sticky page

Thanks, Ryan.

Sweet

Thanks for sharing. I'm excited to do the new routes.

OutdoorZen.org has been changed to now require registration before seeing full details of a route (unless the route details are easily available elsewhere on the web). Registration is free, but hopefully a small barrier, creating a bit of a touch point between those who want beta and those that provide it.

Matt has very valid concerns about public beta that is easily accessible potentially causing problems. I suspect simply requiring registration (even though free) will weed out a great number of people.

I have many routes ready to be published on outdoorzen, and am going to be publishing them one a week or so, depending on traffic. Due to some of the recent discussion, I will likely publish the more well known information first and see how it evolves before publishing many new "not-on-the-web-yet" areas.

If anyone has ideas on how best to provide information for canyoneers, yet also protect the fragile places, post them up. I am very interested to hear from the community any ideas. Should websites publish information on "lesser" known canyons? What is the best way to educate people on these sensitive issues?

Official Announcement from OutdoorZen.org --->

Concerns have been raised that by having the beta freely, and more importantly easily accessible, less responsible canyoneers may cause accidents, wear and tear, etc... This is proving to be true.

Registration is a mild barrier, that will hopefully minimize this problem and provide some contact between those that use the information, and those that provide it.

The goal of OutdoorZen is to provide high quality information for people to enjoy and experience amazing places. A much higher priority, however, is the protection of such places. If OutdoorZen.org contributes to the destruction of these amazing places, or threatens future access to them, it is not serving the purpose for which it is intended.

Thank you for your understanding.
    -OutdoorZen.org Management

i registered yesterday, still waiting on email response.

my suggestion would be to talk about specific anchoring locations where rope grooves are a problem and offer blatant suggestions about how one can minimize impact.

I agree. You have a great site I truly hope my experience has not caused you too much grief. It was your site that led me to choose the canyon we did. My suggestion would be to include GPS coords. this would help eliminate damage to delicate soil while looking for the trail.
    See you on the Trail

Registered, thanks for keeping up the site Ryan. Even though I don't go on my own yet, I enjoy reading up on it.

Just signed up...

Thanks for keeping us posted on all your cool routes!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Bump! I've added a fair bit to OutdoorZen.org in the last month or so, including re-doing the gallery with some photos from this year and adding a 1/2 dozen or so hikes/canyons. I hope to add more of this years photos to the gallery as time permits, but what is there is a pretty good start.

If you haven't stopped by in awhile, stop by and check it out.

deserthiker

Ryan,
    Thanks for adding some more. Looking forward in the next year to hitting some of these.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

Re: OutdoorZen.org

Quote Originally Posted by deserthiker
    OutdoorZen.org has been updated to include Arscenic and Slideanide. Available on the North Wash page.

http://www.outdoorzen.org/site/beta/north-wash.html

Happy new year!
    Hi Ryan! I'm all signed up and looking forward to using your beta!
    This month at FF in fact!
    Thanks so much for putting this site together! I really appreciate the non-GPS descriptions too, for those of us who don't own one.

Happy Explorations in the New Year!
    Hope to do another canyon with you someday!
    My knee works perfectly now!

~Randi
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    Thanks so much for putting this site together! I really appreciate the non-GPS descriptions too, for those of us who don't own one.

~Randi
    Glad the knee is better.

Dunno my schedule yet, but I might end up at FF for a day or two as well, so we might get a canyon in sooner than later....

Quote Originally Posted by deserthiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi

~Randi
    Glad the knee is better.

Dunno my schedule yet, but I might end up at FF for a day or two as well, so we might get a canyon in sooner than later....
    Cool! Well, I hope to see you there! My plans have been in a state of flux for weeks, but it looks like I'll be there from the 29th or 30th through the 2nd. Guess I'm in for the Black Hole this year! : )~ Should be fun!
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn